Other Custom and high performance Flashlights

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 9 Jul 2009.

1. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I haven't done enough research on HID to make any conclusive claims. However from some quick searching it seems that a good 35w HID kit can output in the range of 3500 lumen, aka 100 lumen/watt. CREE LEDs are now passing the 200 lumen/watt mark. Admittedly though those are the latest chips from R&D and not available to us as consumers yet. However, I have some older LEDs that are pushing ~115 per watt.

Brightness comparisons aside, there are times that I need to see what I am working on up close, and even my humble Pelican can wash out the area with too much light. That's why I keep a flashlight with me that does PWM dimming so I can adjust the brightness to what I need.

Brighter != better.

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I have a Rolson Shaky which I absolutely love :p. It may not be the brightest thing, but it sure is nice not to have to worry about batteries...

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Oops, sorry guys I completely missed the new posts in this over the past couple of days. I'll read all of them later and respond accordingly - kinda hard to do it on my phone at the moment :p

4. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Yes, but look at the datasheets - these figures are at ideal conditions at their most efficient operating point. These figures won't be accurate in real world situations - notice how quick the slope drops with temperature and forward current. A 3W LED driven at 700mA to get it's full light output is over 30% less efficient than at 350mA! Couple that with the increased die temperature and the figure is even worse.

The Cree LEDs which claim 200 lumen/Watt also say efficacy - NOT efficiency! A big difference!!

However, I agree that more light isn't better, but Unicorn's post was discussing the differences in efficiency not how little light you need to perform the task.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2011
  5. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Fair enough, I see your point. :D

As a side note, it seems that the creator of the CR2 Ion has a new flashlight named the Aeon that looks mighty tempting ($125), and it has received high praise on the CPF. However, since I just got some new stock in for my lathe, I might have a go at building my own light, even though I could never build something like Enrique.

6. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Would be muchly appreciated Unicorn, thanks.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

8. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Done some further reading and would be interested on opinions on the D11 vs D10 SP, as the D10 can't be bought any more.

Also, how does an LD10 from Fenix compare? The UI of the piston drive seems to have changed from the original D10 and I'm curious as to how the LD10 compares in that respect. I don't really want a screw UI, but I also am concerned about power drain whilst turned off and want something that can be operated one handed.

Thanks in advance.

9. Unicorn

*bump* for additions. Ages ago, I did some trading and some bargain buying and landed myself another couple of lights from the marketplace on CPF. Just wanted to update "the list":

Surefire T1A Titan
    Surefire C2 Centurion - custom bored to accept 18650 Lithium cell
    Nitecore EX10
    Nitecore EX11
    Olight M20 Warrior

Some unbelievable deals I got on those. The two Nitecore's were less than £30 including shipping! For both! :D

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I use my Desire's LED as a flashlight... works fine for me

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

11. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

It takes all sorts, I suppose...

*Checks desk*

Ultrafire Alpha-C1 XM-L (testing DX's UK warehouse...)
    4Sevens Quark 123
    E1e
    A2 Aviator
    Aurora modded Minimag
    NitePalm PC8
    4Sevens Quark 123² Turbo
    E2e
    Lummi RAW CR2
    Fenix T1

Mind you, I have just finished charging/topping up all my batteries - I normally only have three or four out at a time...

Oh, and I have a Desire in my pocket, too.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

When I need a flashlight this is what I use

[​IMG]

But what I like about the phone's LED is that I always have it on me ;)

13. Unicorn

Nice collection Herbicide! It's nice to come across another like minded flashaholic ;)

What I lack in 4Sevens lights, you more than make up for! I bought Dad a Preon 2 for his birthday last year. He wears and uses it every day at work - it's easily the best pen light I've ever come across!

14. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

I have one of those, too...

15. Unicorn

Hahaha, 4Sevens addict! I love it! :D

I'd love a Quark Mini for my keychain, to replace the aeging Fenix L0D that has lived a harsh life there for 3 years!

16. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

I've recently replaced an E01 with an ITP EOS A3 (the Ti, S3 version, natch) for much the same reason.

Quarks - Get one, they're great.

17. Unicorn

Nice grab with the ITP, I've admired those tiny but mighty little lights since I first laid eyes on them - Yeah the L0D was great back when I got it, but it's aged a bit now. The Q5 @ 1.5V in it pales in comparison to the likes of an XP-G driven Quark Mini 123. They're a bargain as well which is important to me for EDC/EDA (Every Day Abuse :D) lights!

On another note, I can't put into words how much I would love an Armytek Predator right now. I would seriously put that light through it's paces! I'm happy with what I have for now though :)

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

pop onto deal extreme and get yourself a decent p7 based flashlight, will serve your needs and cost less than £20 inc charger and shipped with the current exchange rate working in our favour...golden :)

19. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Currently building a 2000+ Lumen Headlamp (Upgrading it from 800 Lumens, which is in itself, an upgrade from a 48 Lumen Halogen). LiPo powered using a TaskLED HipFlex driver, which is a mightily impressive piece of kit.

20. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Had a Fenix LD20 for a little while now and so far it has been awesome. Got a Surefire too but not certain which model, 2 x Cr123 cells and trailing momentary switch, used it mainly on my air rifle. Lots of light but as it is an incandescent, it gets kinda hot.