1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays How bad is Dell U2311H for gaming really?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DMU_Matt, 25 Mar 2011.

1. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

Ok, real world experience wanted here guys.

I hear that IPS panels (such as in this monitor in question) have quite bad response times and therefore can have quite bad ghosting.

Now what I want to know is, in peoples actual experience, are you affected by this in games?

At the moment I play Rift and BFBC2. Will I see a negative effect from this screen?

I want it sooooo much, but this would be a potential deal breaker :waah:

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I can't comment on the monitor itself, but I believe it's PVA monitors that have bad response times that cause ghosting. IPS is certainly better than PVA for response, and modern panels come close enough to TN that you can't really tell the difference.

3. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Nothing real world whatsoever that I've noticed on the u2410 which is 6ms(?). The U2311 being 8 i still cant imagine anything being noticeable

4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

There is a pretty comprehensive review on that monitor here.

About 2/3rds from the bottom it talks about responsiveness and gaming and after that input lag. I think the summary is that it is perfectly exceptable for gaming and I doubt you'd notice it.

At the bottom in the conclusion, it also lists its response time and input lag in the 'pro' column.

I have never noticed it in games with my U2410 tbh, and this monitor is supposed to have slightly better response times than that.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

in b4 Goodbytes :) sorry, had to be done on every non-TN panel monitor threads.

let me direct you to a post i've made:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2598241#post2598241
    scroll down for Goodbyte's longer awesome response.

short answer: the pixel response time is the wrong spec you are looking at. internal processor adds more to the delay.

6. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

Many thanks guys for the prompt replies. I will take a look through that review you linked Ljs (you weren't kidding that is one in depth review - will be good to read through and shall do that now :))

I think my mind is at ease now about this issue and will be definite after reading the review in the link.

Cheers guys.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@wuyanxu: Even values like 25ms like with HP LP2475w doesn't mean anything. True, i'm not a pro CS1.6 player (<sarcasm>where every pixel and frame and microsecond counts</sarcasm>), but i have yet to notice any lag.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

even value up to 40ms for my U2711, i've not noticed any lag. play fine in BFBC2, and even CoD games like MW2, Blops.

of course, same as you, im not in pro gaming. just casual gaming.

actually, looking at review for U2311H, there's hardly any delay for internal processor due to the not-so-high resolution. so there shouldn't be any lag.

9. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

I am not an ott game nutter and have noticed no issues with mine.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You should stop reading old claims.

IPS and even PVA panels are extremely faster compared to the old early days of LCD Active TFT+Film technology (the LCD screen we use for our computers, TV, most phones, etc..)

In term of speed, it is true that TN panels are the fastest on paper. But is it worth washed out, bland, and even completely wrong colors, with back light bleeding affecting all colors? That is up you to decide.

I have the Dell U2410, while I am also, not a crazy FPS guy with my overpriced "gaming"-class gear. Gamer Headphone G560!!! with more gaming FPS to your ears! Now with 4 macro keys on the headset, for some cool gaming action if your hands happened to be close to your ear. Save precious time from not having to lower your arm into action!
    But I do have nice a keyboard and mouse setup (not 8$ stinky poo).

I do play my games under Adobe RGB color profile, which is the slower color profile mode of the monitor, with a 30ms input lag. And seriously, even if I look close and try and pay attention, or even compare with my old CRT monitor, I don't see any difference. No ghosting, no delay. I still strongly believe that this whole "I see ghosting/input lag" on today's good IPS panels, is complete B.S. Granted they ARE some IPS panel technology that are in the slow sides but even then. But, it did happen that 1 or 2 people here claim that they see the difference and makes their games unplayable. (I think they simply aren't good at the game, and needs to lame it on something. But, because of that, I must say.. if you are a hard core FPS crazy nut where every frame counts, as you have faster reflexes than SuperMan kid packed with sugar, energy drink and espresso, then yes it will impact you.)
    Heck, even if you watch a DVD of any crazy super shaky, fast moving camera, up close, you don't see any problem. But if it makes you sleep better, the monitor has a game/video mode which turns off the color processor of the monitor, to reduce it's input lag down. Still higher than most TN panels, but faster never the less.

Anything bellow 12ms even 16ms response time, your truly don't see it. You possibly do see it on TN panels, but that is because they can't produce all 8-bit colors per channel, but rather 6-bit colors. So, to show a missing color, it takes 2 colors it can produce and switch between them really fast, up to the speed of the mentioned response time. Add a moving picture, and that makes you see it. Most IPS and PVA are true 8-bit colors per channel (or more), so they don't have to do this tricks, and shows you the correct color.

PVA are slowest of them all, but they aren't aimed at you. They are aimed at professionals, where color accuracy is critical, and must have the least amount of back light bleeding, including on blacks.

PVA is the best in term of picture quality, and ensure that you have virtually no back light bleeding, even on blacks

TN panels are fast and really inexpensive (but also very low build quality for many of them), has no color processors, like PVA and IPS TV's

IPS panels is like a PVA panels, but very fast, close to a TN panel. Draw back: slight back light bleeding on blacks on all 4 corner on the screen, visible on a full black screen (you won't see it on a wide screen video). TN panels shows it everywhere, under any color.

Higher the screen resolution, slower the response time and higher the input lag (more processing required).

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
    Pliqu3011 likes this.
  11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

ahhh, he spotted the thread....:D

GoodBytes likes this.
  12. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

I've got one it's great. No problems at all.

13. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

me too, dont notice any at all. Its a great screen.

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

LOL :D

15. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

He must have a secret script set up that scans all of Bit-Tech's threads for anything related to the words: "monitor", "LCD", "IPS", "TN", "PVA", "Monitor God Needed".. etc.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I game with my U2410 all the time and have never noticed ghosting

Listen to Goodbytes, he knows what he's talking 'bout

17. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

I have the u2311h and haven't notice any ghosting yet

18. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Response times and ghosting are really irrelevant in the modern environment as others have stated. My U2410 handles gaming like a dream.

19. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

^This +1.

U2410 Cheesecake

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Just wanted to state that response time and input lag (latency) actually are two different things. The first is how long it takes for a pixel to change its state (eg. from black to white or vice versa, which incidentally doesn't take an equal amount of time), while the second is the time it takes for (mouse) input to translate into visual changes on the screen. I'd say the latter is the more annoying of the two gaming-wise.

GoodBytes likes this.