1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Noritake 128x64 VFD technical thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by linear, 13 Jan 2003.

1. ChriX

ChriX ^

Yeah I noticed that :D

The counter was done before we started using multiple pages, tried to fix it after we noticed (after posting the article) but the whole lot started going tits, so I thought i'd leave it until traffic died down again. :)

P.S. submit your LCDs to the gallery ;)

2. SillyGoose

SillyGoose What's a Dremel?

lol did he just say tits? anyway, that's a GREAT article. and tks! you guys rock!

3. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

4. ChriX

ChriX ^

Woah cool movie!

5. yarvieh

yarvieh What's a Dremel?

Got my displays today (THANKS FLECOM!!) and have a lcdstudio driver up and running (only text for the moment) and could use a few testers (it's hardcoded to the liquid mp3 wiring, no flexible settings yet) just send me an email (ray@lcdstudio.com) if you want a copy.

6. SillyGoose

sweet! got my display up and running. after a few hours of hard work, it was killing my eyes. had to do a lot of ghetto wiring since i don't have a soldering iron anymore. but it was worth it. too bad the display doesn't automatically turn on with winamp. or maybe it does, i gotta play with it.

just wanted to thank all of you for helping. that article on ICE kicked a$$, very helpful.

7. Dyne

Dyne What's a Dremel?

go into the preferences, and then under Plug-In, select auto-launch visualization at startup

8. SillyGoose

9. yarvieh

yarvieh What's a Dremel?

10. nixk

nixk What's a Dremel?

This didnt work for me originally when I plugged in the VFD. It was only displaying pixels in the first column only. Then, I loaded the liquid mp3 visualization and went back to yours and it worked okay.

I am guessing that you are not setting the address mode correctly. I am pretty sure that liquidmp3 sets the address mode to auto increment X, but not Y (command 84h).

Last edited: 28 Feb 2003
  11. yarvieh

yarvieh What's a Dremel?

you are right, it was in my original initalisation but while cut'n'pasting code from the lcdstudio driver it must have slipped out. I uploaded a new version witch fixes this..

[​IMG]
    (made a pretty picture too)

12. nixk

nixk What's a Dremel?

If anyone is interested, I wrote an application that displays the current cpu usage and free memory, as well as a histogram of the cpu usage over the past 2 minutes. I will release the source code sometime in the next few days.

You can download the setup package and executable here:
    http://www.prokopski.org/vfd/

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    I have just updated the executable only zip to include the font definitition file. If you have downloaded this already, it will give you a file not found error. You will need to download the new zip.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2003
  13. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

*** Update: the software has reached V1! ***

Hay, my display is working again, so I had time to get my WinAMP plugin into a releasable state!

Download it here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.qureshi/vfd/WinAMP_VFD.rar

Just lob it in the Plugins directory of Winamp, the Noritake800.dll nees to be in your path somewhere (WINNT/System32 is a good place for NT/2k/XP users).

This is by no means finished, you just get two level bars and a waveform display. Any test results would be welcome! Designed for a 128x32 display, should work on 64 pixel displays too.

The Noritake800.dll is actually a shared library system for accessing the display. Supports a few basic commands plus raw access and can use any LPT port. Only supports the WinAMP LCD Plugin wiring which is the one I chose to use. I also connected up the frame pluse line but you don`t need it (double buffering seems to not require frame sync anyway).

More to come, my Amiga software is almost ready and this plugin is going to get better.

MoJo

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Mar 2003
  14. PrimusSucks

PrimusSucks What's a Dremel?

Just not seeing it... is there a self test mode?

On the 4*20's I used to have there was a built in way to do a self test. Anyone know if these 800's support this feature as well?

15. SillyGoose

hey guys, anything new?

I'm about to make a permanent place for this vfd in my new acrylic case, there's no going back, would love to know if in the near future, this display would work with mbm5 or something.

16. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

I made a dll for accessing the VFD. It sets the display up and gives you some simple rendering commands. I could extend it to do other stuff if needs be. Anyone interested mail me.

Perhaps someone wants to do a MBM plug-in since there seems to be demand?

MoJo

17. yarvieh

yarvieh What's a Dremel?

The latest (unreleased) LcdStudio can do this, email me for a preview copy goose.

18. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

Hey, also the latest (unreleased) LCDInfo can do this. :D

Seriously speaking, the latest alphas can do this and you can email me if you want to try that but you might prefer LCDStudio at the moment. There are some things LCDInfo can do that LCDStudio can't but there should be some nice features coming to LCDInfo soon. But who knows what LCDStudio can do then. ;)

19. sojumk

sojumk What's a Dremel?

Need help...
    So which wiring picture am i suppose to look and do as so?
    so far i've seen like 3 of them...i think

20. yarvieh

yarvieh What's a Dremel?