Scratch Build – In Progress PROJECT: **b2o** [03.08.11] Case progress...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wejjy, 27 Apr 2011.

1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

After a failed first attempt at modding my case and building my dream PC I took a step back :idea: and did everything properly from scratch! I've made a much better start this time, and have already collected all of the parts required to acheive my perfect PC.

My previous effort was based around modifying a case to suit my ideal, but after working on it for approx 2 months I decided it was a huge compromise and that I really wasnt happy with it. So I lost heart, and motivation, and started planning what I 'REALLY' wanted to do. This is the log for my real project.

I have a fully equipped workshop with every hand tool you can imagine, including TIG welder, Plasma cutters, Band Saws etc so Im determined to do EVERY job myself.

The PC will be built into my desk, build will be carried out in stages, and Im giving nothing away other than my progress so that people dont know what to expect, the only details are the stages, as follows:

1. Case
    2. Desk
    3. Combine the above
    4. Automate (!!!)

The Hardware is all in my cupboard, and consists of an X58 based system with a hex core chip. I will watercool the whole thing, to excess, as its always been my dream, not for the cooling aspect, more for the aesthetics, but with a twist that I beleive to be very original, a small hint is number 4 above! Ive not seen anyone include what I have planned, so Im very excited about the whole thing.

My photography skills are not great and because Im working in a workshop the photos will vary with backdrops, but as the build progresses I will try to address this.

Your help and critisicm will be very much appreciated throughout my build, so please keep checking back throughout!

Heres my progress so far, Ive been working on it for about 3 weeks, but Im limited on the time I can spend per week as I have a young family, and they come first....

I started with my old case and decided that I wanted to keep certain aspects and integrate them into my case, the case I cut up was an Obsidian 800D, which was quite good fun, sorry if that upsets a few of you, but hey, we are modders!!

[​IMG]

Started off by opening the case up at the ends and bending them to 50 degree angle

[​IMG]

Made these infill pieces from 2mm aluminium

I bent the top sections to make a 90 degree corner and fitted them by drilling and tapping a piece of square bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rivetted in place to check how it fits

[​IMG]

Cut out a back panel from the same sheet of 2mm Aluminium, using a jigsaw and marked out the placement of the rear io panel, ready for cutting, measure twice cut once theory applied here!!

After measuring just once more to make sure I wasnt going to mess it all up I cut it out :dremel:

[​IMG]

Then I drilled and tapped the holes and fitted the back panel with some small screws from the original Obsidian case and trial fitted it, and marked out the holes for rivets and fittings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then cut out a side panel and bent it to the 50 degree angle so that it would replace the original cases vented and ugly panels, the radiators will fit to these so they are made from again 2mm Ally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This enabled me to keep the original case side and fitting mechanism, something that will prove useful as my build progresses. I worked around the case as I wanted to keep everything as square as possible throghout, its already a wierd shape I know but I wanted it to remain strong as I worked on it.

With the original side back in place...

[​IMG]

After doing this I moved onto the motherboard tray, made from 2mm Ally and fitted usinf capheads, so its easy to remove as a complete entity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a lot more cutting and drilling both side panels were fitted, now I could cut out the horrible looking metal that was there originally, out with the angle grinder and bring on the noise!!

[​IMG]

Much cutting and filing later and we have this

[​IMG]

Reinsalled the side panels in their fresh new home and BINGO, its starting to look a lot better...

[​IMG]

Thats all for now folks, I'll be working on it a little more in the next few days so check back soon if you like what youve seen so far... a little teaser for whats to come for now tho...

[​IMG]

And thats only a fraction of whats going to be in this case!!!:D

Last edited: 3 Aug 2011
  2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow I love your work and the shape of this mod!!! Cant wait for more! Mod on! :)

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I like the way you've gone about modding the panels on this. Using the existing case as a type of jig is a really good move. I'd have just done my usual thing and cut it all up. You're right about it being a weird shape...lol, but it's still a nice bit of handy work...Well done dude, :thumb:

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Nice i like how this is shaping up!

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Very interesting shape there, looks good ;)

On a side note i wonder if i'm the only one who thought' Hmmm, that shape could make a Space Marine Rhino case' :D

6. smart201

smart201 What's a Dremel?

looks like alot of working going on , nice work so far

7. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

THanks pal, hearing that from you is awesome, Ive followed your builds with huge enthusiasm, your awesome!

Cheers pal, The main reason for using the case as a starting point was the way the rear panel attached and the hdd bay at the front I really like it, and it integrates into my overall plan rather well! Wierd shape will become plainer later on, you'll see!!

8. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i really like the shape of this case should look really nice with all the w/c gear installed

side note...
    nope throbbi you were not the only one to think that :hehe:

9. r1sKas

r1sKas Orange or White? Lets mod!

This looks good :)

Want to see more

10. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks, for the kind words, I cannot wait to get all of the watercoling stuff in here either

Thanks, more on its way!

11. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

So I managed to get a couple of hours work done on the case again today. Its been a busy week, and I'd planned to do a bit more than this, but with the lovely weather it seemed a shame to be inside.

I carried on with getting the rads mounted and the holes cut out for them. I used a jigsaw in the end, it was reasonably slow as Im cutting good quality 2mm Ally so took it steady, and did plenty of tidying with the file afterwards.

Heres the result of about an hours work...

[​IMG]

I drilled the holes using a drill press, and the templates I got from here, although it took a while to get right it looks half decent, and with a grill on, it will be spot on. Didnt tackle the other side today though, as that tested my patience so I moved onto fitting the Drive bays, bot are from the original Obsidian case but modified. First up the 5 1/2" Drive bay had to be cut down as it used to mount upright in the case so was too tall.

I cut it down using the trusty plasma cutter and filed the edges smooth, then set about reinforcing the back with a piece of 6mm aluminium square bar, drilled and tapped both ends to take a 3mm caphead and jobs a goodun! I riveted this to the case as it will strengthen the front panel a lot.

[​IMG]

I also fitted the Hot swap HDD tray whilst at it to complete the front innards as it were, this would then allow me to see what needed modding on the mobo tray as I knew it would foul in a few places. Nothing a file couldnt sort though!

[​IMG]

Attatched the first fan to the HDD caddy, using wierd Akasa rubber fan mounts, never used these before and they seem to do the trick quite nicely. I have a few rubber gaskets for the 140mm fans but I'll see how these hold up first as Im suitably impressed so far!

[​IMG]

Then started to unpack some more goodies in the form of various fans etc...

3 x Phobya 140mm waterproof fans (Red)
    1 x Phobya 120mm waterproof fan (Red)
    2 x Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrators (White)

[​IMG]

Then got them out to see how they will look in the completed case and put the other rad in again...

[​IMG]

In this photo the rad fans are attached properly but the two rear Silverstones arent, theyre just taped in place until I get round to cutting the holes and attaching them properly. Thats pretty much it to be honest for today.

[​IMG]

Im getting excited now after seeing it this far. I love symmetry!!

As a taster for next time I will just post a picture, I mentioned earlier in the thread that my build would include automation. There will be no buttons or nobs on this case at all and yet I will still be able to control everything, and fine tune everything!! I will say no more and simply let you guys work it out, heres the clue...

[​IMG]

More soon to come!!

12. lobster_johnson

lobster_johnson Fear the Claw of Justice!

Will this be attached to the top of the desk on the underside?

Looking fantastic so far!

13. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

It will be an integral part OF the desk and as I said, all will become clear as the build progresses, I did think of doing a couple of renders to show how it will look, but Id rather save it to keep everyone guessing!

Thanks for the positive comment though!

14. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

liking the guess work idea, means ppl dont get to see a finished render and it make your build something more to look forward to.. great start. dont stop!

15. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Duuude, This is awesome :D!

/Follow :D!

16. Shattriath

Shattriath What's a Dremel?

Sub'ed... Looks really cool so far :D

17. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks guys!!

I spent about 2 hours today preparing all of the hardware to be dropped into the case, when it gets finished anyway! It helps keep the motivation up and is one more job done that I can tick off my list.

I decided on 2 Loops purely for aesthetics. They will both be running through DDC pumps and will have a 3x140 double rad each so should run nice and cool anyways.

The GPU's are GTX470's and the CPU is a hex core Xeon, ripe for the Overclock, all running on an Asus Rampage Extreme II mobo. I love the look, its a little confusing at the moment, but the pipes that go to free air attach to the Res and the Rads respectively.

Now I need to start the cable braiding! Ive received a huge package from Nils at MDPC-X and cannot wait to start, but there are even more cables than usual in this PC!!

By the way....the blanking plugs will be swapped out, I am thinking of putting temperature probes in a few places and until Ive decided I will leave the horrid chrome ones in, then order some Black/Nickel ones later.

I also have 2 backplates for the GTX's on backorder, so when they arrive that will tidy the backs of the cards up a little!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off to my workshop tomorrow for a couple of hours so should be able to do a bit more of the case, look out for the update!

18. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Did a few jobs today on what I could. I started off by making the pump mount. I have previously posted about mounting 2 DDC's back to back horizontally, everyone said it was fine to do, but there were worries about heat build-up as apparently the bases get very hot. So I did some thinking and it got a little out of hand!

I worked on the premise that aluminium is a good heat conductor so if I made a mount from ally which air could pass through it would help, I decided to mount it all on the old case feet as I like the shape, so I started off bending some 6mm square to a shape I thought would work...

[​IMG]

bit more and I had these

[​IMG]

I then cut a piece of 1.2mm ally to fit and had an awesome idea...use these of which I have 2 as passive coolers, just because they look cool!!

[​IMG]

A bit more imagination and work and I had this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its in the vice as the araldite was setting on the ally mount still btw.

Then I moved onto the case again. Needed to cut some MORE holes :dremel: for the 2 rear fans (Silverstone) and I hate cutting fan holes!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended up with this

[​IMG]

Its getting there. I will cut the other rad hole out this week and then its a matter of some tidying up as I dont want any of the rivets to be visible inside, I want it clean and sleek Ive got the idea as to how, it just involves a LOT of work, but it will be worth it. If nothing else this will be the HEAVIEST case on Bit Tech...

Thats all for now, keep the comments coming, they help me to keep going. Im starting the sleeving soon too so will post some shots of that when I get 5!

19. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Does anyone have any recommendations on which manufacturer makes the best PSU extension cables at all? Please? I need lots!!

20. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

Bitfenix and NZXT both make great extension cables