1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bit-tech launches Android app

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 7 Jul 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Oh well I have never heard of that! I have always had fast downloads from the market.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Including Dennis' own iGizmo magazine app... :sigh:

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

interesting how there is no comment from the design staff or others involved with this on these forums yet? I too would like a good not a worded doesnt answer the question generic lawyer style response and what they plan to do about the negative view of their product.

Like others an ad supported version would be ideal.

4. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Nice to see I wasn't the only one to spot that....

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Does iGizmo have some one else's ip built in to allow easy access to the forums?

6. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

A few of us have already commented in this thread, but there's not a lot we can say at this stage, other that we're feeding back what you guys are saying.

Clearly many people are not happy with the price, and as editor of bit, the last thing I want is you guys, the readers to get angry with the site's writers, when it wasn't their call.

Whatever some people seem to think though, things like this do cost money to develop so bit needs to recoup the investment made in it. Whether that's a re-release as an ad supported or sponsored version, we'll just have to wait and see.

7. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Not only did I write the original news post, I did also post in the thread (about 20 replies in I think), addressing some of the issues:

* Price: as James [Lizard] says, developing apps, like the site, costs, so we want to recoup that cost. We could go with advertising, but we wanted to see what would happen with a paid app. Partly, like any new project, this is about testing the market and seeing what works and what doesn't. We're certainly not ruling out an ad-supported version in the future.

* Subscription integration: yes, I'd absolutely love to do this, but as I said in my earlier post, from a technical point of view, it's expensive and time consuming. Adding it would have meant the app would be delayed by a long time.

* Cost vs tapatalk. It's something of a false comparison, because the bit-tech app does what it's supposed to - provides the best bit-tech experience on an Android phone - and tapatalk does what it sets out to, which is accessing forums. Tapatalk might let you acces 10,000 forums, but how many of those do you care about reading? And can you, with Tapatalk, easily read a bit-tech news story and then add a comment, and then read the next news story? They're not really comparable products.

8. Sifter3000

This is something of a misunderstanding. The advertisers are paying for the adverts. In that respect, they are the customer. With all free-to-use websites, you are the product being sold.

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Well nothing comes for free these days

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Tapatalk works perfectly for as well no hitches at all

11. HourBeforeDawn

you must not own an android phone or at least not a decent one then because tapatalk would let you view more then one forum which A LOT of us do, you think we rely only what you guys print or discuss in the forums lol no way and second viewing your articles please thats what the android browser already lets us do. So again your really not offering anything worth wild here no matter how you try to justify it.

Also you said you were feeling the market lol well you could have done that by releasing both a paid and ad based App and that would have shown you what people prefer right away lol, given the very low download count and high refund count that should be painfully clear at this point.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Ah, but Tapatalk allows access to the forum marketplace and PM's whereas the Android app does not, despite storing the forum login details.

For me it is a trade-off; do I want the richer website browsing experience or do I want full access to the forum? I read selected articles on the website once, occasionally coming back to the reviews for reference but I use the forum heavily (you know, that "community" thing) so Tapatalk wins it for me.

13. Sifter3000

And I think that's fair enough - but it's clear in terms of what you want, Tapatalk is a better product. That doesn't make the bit-tech app bad, just different and not quite suited to your needs. We're looking at adding in marketplace and PM access for a future version.

14. longweight

Just checked the market place, less than 50 downloads!

Lol

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

15. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Cool, that's good enough for me, I've just bought the app. I don't browse any other forums, and I find reading bit's articles and reviews much more enjoyable with the app tbh. I don't even use it that often because I'm always on the PC, but £1.79 is peanuts as far as I'm concerned, and I'm more than happy to support bit-tech and CPC.

16. HourBeforeDawn

well this app went no where past... so have you guys wised up yet and going to release a ad supported version? or you guys going to just take the loss?

17. longweight

So the current app offers "the best bit-tech experience"?

No market place?

Ok...:wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags