1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

As an 'uninitiated' I must admit I found the whole thing a big....wha?
    Although couple of friends (both into marvel stuff) thought it was epic, so I guess knowing a bit of the story really does help
    Although I must admit, am looking forward to the Avengers film (only because it's got Samuel L. Jackson in :p)

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I must confess, after the first two FF films I just ignored any more references to the series (Although, I'm no movie buff, so I don't hear much before it happens anyway).

As for the Ryan Reynolds thing, I should have made it clear that the crossover reference wasn't meant for his dual roles, I apologise.

I'm not what you'd call well versed on Cap, so while some of it I got, other bits I didn't (although, yes, the progression from first appearance to current time was reasonably well done).

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

In the comics, the Fantastic Four are now known as the "Future Foundation" after the death of Johnny Storm.
    He has been replaced by Spidey in the current storyline.

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

The Reaping. 3/10
    I can sum up the movie like this (from opening to finish): Mildly interesting, amusing, boring, boring, boring, boring, uninteresting, boring, mildly amusing, boring, boring, unsurprising revelation, boring.

The only reason I did not give it less than a 3 was that I feel that there could very well be worse movies out there.

5. sompo

sompo What's a Dremel?

Actually i watched this movie a several time and i really like it....

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Aug 2011
  6. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Just watched this based on your recommendation. For the first 25 mins my girlfriend was laughing at how bad she thought it was (she had a very low opinion of the script and was getting drawn into it) before she fell asleep, leaving me to watch it in peace.

I do like Steve Carell, and certainly there were a few moments that made me laugh (like the shower scene), but the whole 'one big family' thing was quite nauseating and overall I didn't think there was enough in the film of real merit to warrant anything over 7/10

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Chronicles of Riddick
    8/10
    I enjoy this more than Pitch Black.
    Necoromongers are cool bad guys, the fighting scenes are well thought out, Vin Diesel spews hardcore lines straight from the 90's ("Tea, actually."), etc.
    Solid, fun action romp.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

After watching "A Scanner Darkly" I noticed my wife had never seen...

Blade Runner 9/10 (final cut)
    aged very well...most movies from the early eighties are cringeworthy, but this one still looks good (apart from some shirts and hairstyles).

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I started watching Blade Runner earlier this year and I got so bored that I quit about 50 minutes into it... maybe I need to persevere, but given some of the movies I've endured I think perseverance is definitely one of my virtues lol.

I've been doing some more catching up:

Alien 7/10

Suspenseful and original, ever so slightly lacking, but very good

Alien 3 1/10

Utter garbage

Predator 10/10

Gripping, captivating, wonderfully directed and quotable movie: "El Diablo que hace trofeos de los hombres" - The demon who makes trophies of men. LOVE IT!

True Grit (2010) 7/10

Don't see what all the hype is about; good movie, but takes a long time for the story to develop and not much really happens (not enough for an 8 anyway lol).

Jeepers Creepers 5/10

Silly film but not a complete flop - Justin Long helps it flow

Daybreakers 5/10

Pretentious nonsense (the sun kills vampires, the sun heals vampires) but bearable thanks to Willem Dafoe

Surrogates 8/10

Actually enjoyed this... not a pillar of originality but it developed quickly and cohesively, and has a satisfying ending.

Unstoppable (2010) 8/10

Very simple but very effective thriller

Last edited: 9 Aug 2011
  10. Xir

Xir Modder

The wesley snipes movie? :wallbash:
    Or the runaway train movie? :D

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Clarified :thumb:

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Edit: Nevermind - Ninja'd

13. Jeremias

Jeremias What's a Dremel?

Almost completely agree. 7.5/10

True Grit: 6.5/10 nice movie, but still not the real great movie by the Coen brothers.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2011
  14. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Resident Evil: Afterlife

6/10

Watchable but rather lacking- the 'zombies' seem more & more like just an inconvenience rather than a large plot-driver as the saga progresses, and the giant axe-man just makes no sense at all other than being an excuse to use 3D effects. The bad guy being like an Agent Smith / evil Neo character was kinda pants too. Overall the film lacked any real climax but it's clear there will be another... and another, and people seemingly will keep watching them too, so...

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

He's basically their answer to Pyramid Head from Silent Hill - another rip-off, just like the Matrix-esque sequence near the end.

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The "Giant Axe Man" is a character from the 5th game, called "The Executioner", IIRC (the name, not so much the fact that he's in the game)

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

That explains a lot - Pyramid Head is basically an executioner and was introduced to the Silent Hill series in 2001. The Executioner is basically the same thing: giant, oversized weapon, covered head, clothed in drapes. In saying that, I should review the original movie:

Silent Hill 9/10

LOVE this movie - great atmosphere, tension, and fantastic costumes (Pyramid Head wins). I liked it so much I watched it twice, and I'll probably watch it a third time soon.

18. DJ101010

DJ101010 What's a Dremel?

I usually rent my movies from Redbox or Netflix since movie theater tickets are so dang expensive lol. Most recently I have watched:

Limitless
    Source Code

Limitless starred Bradley Cooper as a writer that stumbles onto a pill that increases brain function to 100%. The actual premise for the movie about brain funtion is not actually true, but for a movie it worked well. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, definitely worth watching once at least :)

Source Code starred Jake Gyllenhaal. It was an interesting movie but not so easy to keep up with at the end. It's deinitely a thinking movie. Still decent enough to warrant renting it though.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

The Warriors Way 8/10
    not much of a story, but great pictures.
    One to watch again

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

(The Borrower) Arrietty. 8/10

Intensely beautiful, very mellow and a perfect way to round off a Saturday night.

Although was not entirely fulfilled. Niggling irritations about how overly softly spoken her father is and how the boy makes no attempt to get her family to stay, or how his grandmother doesn't even register his aunts vicious actions.

Stuff happens, it's very nice, but it really lacks the emotional depth of other Ghibli films.

Good to watch with the missus if you like a cuddle. ;)

Beyond The Clouds The Promised Place - 6/10

I've been meaning and wanting to watch this for years, and finally I got around to it. It's done by an apparently gifted and hyper-workaholic director, but frankly it's *too* childishly emotionally driven with a serious war story on top. This coupled with a storyline that bounces around years at a time leaves it everywhere and nowhere. He pulls in elements of Eva, RahXephon and scenes from Cowboy Bebop and numerous anime moments about kids dreams imo, but it's not a great execution. I can't understand why it's so highly rated.

Still, it's very well animated and some of the sci-fi stuff was momentarily interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Aug 2011