1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Room redecoration and new PC build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Huge, 25 Jul 2011.

1. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Fair bit has happened since my last posts, firstly my computer completely died on me, I sent the motherboard back for testing (waste of £35) and tried another brand new PSU to try and source the problem. After rebuilding again the computer worked perfectly and is still working now. I think there was a problem with how it was mounted, perhaps a metal track was fouling the case or something. Anyway, I'm back at home for christmas now and a couple of minor things have changed. First I've put my monitors in the corner, secondly I have my new duvet to match the style of the room (it was a birthday present from my parents).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the rest of my holiday is going to be very busy with all my uni work, it's nice to have somewhere good to do it. :)

I'm also considering swapping my u2410 for another 2209 for two reasons, firstly I need some money for my mini, secondly I am still slightly annoyed that they don't properly match!

2. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Seems a really good job so far!!

Loving the new room layout and i can appreciate the effort to make a room feel more personal :)

I'm from a family of mini owners so am used to the troubles caused by those also!!

Change of headboard?

3. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Change of headboard would be good but I literally have only £100 left in my overdraft. That won't pay for christmas and my mini's MOT and tax alone so extras will have to remain on my to-do list!

4. Huge

Huge aka Dave

One last change before I head back to uni on Sunday: sold my 24" to my Dad and bought another 2209WA from the same guy I used both times before. Made £150 on the difference (sold for £250 and bought the 22" for £100) which was needed badly (still trying to get the mini back on the road by Sunday, got one last thing to sort!).

It was a little sad to see the U2410 go as its such a good monitor but now I have three identical 2209s which are all very good monitors. They match for multiple monitor gaming too which is nice!

5. mally91

mally91 What's a Dremel?

looking good... been trying to redecorate my room for the last couple of months, once im finished im going to build my first pc with the money i hav left over.

6. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Nice. Stick up a thread so we can see your progress.

7. mally91

mally91 What's a Dremel?

yeh i will do once i get sorted, maybe in a couple of weeks after ive handed in my assignment and hav sorted everything else out

8. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Really enjoyed reading this thread mate, props for the amount of DIY/bargain hunting/design sense and the holistic approach to your room despite the space constraints. Love this sort of stuff. =]

9. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

awesome thread indeed :D also want to change my desk and paint some more and clean up my PC a bit...maybe ill post a thread too :thumb:

10. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Cheers!

Do it, I'd like to see it.

Just occurred to me that I hadn't added a picture of my three matching monitors on this thread yet. I'm at uni now so my uni desk will have to do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Awesome background btw :) (and ill start the thread on the weekend)
    Do you prefer the monitors in landscape or portrait?

12. Huge

Huge aka Dave

It depends what I'm doing, generally I prefer portrait because it is better for working. I can have three documents/websites up with more than a page in view or I can have 6 applications tiled accross the screens, each with more space than they'd get on my laptop screen.

I can switch them to landscape for gaming but I don't game much and I find it less conducive for work when I have to move my head to see the left and right screens.

Also, I can watch movies across all three screens. Bezel compensation makes the pictures match up properly and the only downside is having bezels instead of video content. Not a big problem though.

13. Cutter

Cutter What's a Dremel?

Great thread! Really interesting how you've taken a smaller / awkward shaped room and really got the best out of it.

Trust me - that kind of DIY experience will stand you in good stead if you get married and have kids, when you're relegated to the broom cupboard to allow their clothes/toys to take over the larger room! :D

14. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks for the compliment. I'm up for the challenge, just need to find the woman!

15. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I took you advice and posted a thread.
    I have far less planning in terms of space to do compared to you though :rolleyes:

16. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

Nice Work!
    Room looks Fantastic and awesome Computer!

17. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Cheers, always nice to hear positive feedback :)

18. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

LOL - uni desk must be awful to go back to after your home setup. is it annoying having the monitors dell logos going up the monitors, or do you just sort of "mental fade" them when using one image over multi monitors ?

did the dvd shelf ever go up ? if not one of those floating style shelves with hidden bracket might look nice as an alternative ? quite surprised you've not gone for a major sound card and speaker set up given your obvious enjoyment of things musical

19. Huge

Huge aka Dave

It doesn't annoy me, I don't really notice it. Obviously it would be better to have one huge screen that is the size of all three together so that I don't have to see the bezels but that would be obscenely expensive at that resolution!

The shelf never went up, I spend so little time at home that I probably won't bother with it now. In fact, my brother has already moved into my room and only moves out temporarily when I come home now and then. I'll possibly only spend a total of 1 month at home this year if I get my Norwegian internship this summer.