1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-Tech GeForceFX Watercooler

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 8 Apr 2003.

1. ThunderBird

ThunderBird What's a Dremel?

:eeek: 3 month ? :worried: hmm ok faster pls :D

2. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Yeah, that's understandable, and what I thought.
    It's just that, looking at this picture (below). it looks as though both could of come out the side, above and below, like the below one in this image).

[​IMG]

Still looks awesome, I just like to challenge as to make a change from all the 'w00t' 'awesome' (which of course it is!) ;)

3. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Always Silent & Cool

Hwulex

No I 100% want criticism as I don't know it all, and I can always learn and improve things with sensible feedback :). I see what you mean now and yes they could have both come out at an angle at the side together. Part of the reason I didn't do this is the distance between the front & back ram blocks allows them to be connected with a link tube rather than separate supply tubes for each block I used in my set up. I can't find a picture of it with a link tube shown clearly but if you can imagine it's harder to link the two blocks together when they are next to each other on opposite sides of the card.

It was also as case that I made the backside ram block before I'd fully decided how to do the frontside one. I do kind of make it up as I go because I'm not one for paper work or design plans, I like the making & creating of things most ;)

It looks as if the production design may have to be compromised further into separate blocks for each ram bank to make it more universal across the FX range.

4. oldlink

oldlink What's a Dremel?

My last 2 cards have both been Gainward's, a Geforce3 golden Sample and a Geforce4 Golden Sample. I've been waiting for the GefotrceFX version and accidentally found about about this baby. I want one!:D
    Unfortunately, being completely new the the Watercooling side of overclocking, I just have a quick question about the FXfluid gizmo.
    What additional stuff do I need to make it work:confused:
    What feeds the water to the card:confused:

5. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

generally, you need a pump to move the water, a resevoir to hold the water and prevent air getting into the cycle, and a radiator to cool the water... you may want to check our extreme cooling forum for more useful info on the subject. And welcome to the forums.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=31

6. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Ah yeah, I getcha. That's a fair point. Your tubing would probably kink with them so close together, or you'd need an unnecessarily long loop.
    Hehe, you and me both. Never been one much to plan things ;)

7. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

Very nice BladeRunner.

Perhaps in a production version you could use 1/2" line to the RAM blocks right up close then use a 1/2"=> (2) 3/8" then right in to the blocks. Exit the same in reverse of course. Use of the larger 1/2" line would both hold down the number of lines to route and reduce headloss in the extended smaller lines. This assumes you can get the inlet/outlets close enough together.

Just a thought.

8. BladeRunner

As much as I'd like too I don't think I'll have much say in the final design choice, The prototype was mainly made how I normally make my coolers, and not a production level item. It was more to demostrate to the non water-cooling type people, how much better it cools. May be obvious to us w/c geeks......but not to the real world. At the end of the day it will have to be something that can be made cost effectively.

I want & hope to make coolers like the prototype kit some day, but it's not possible yet. the small fittings are all that's required as long as flow is sufficiant, 1/2 fittings on ram blocks, chipset blocks etc are overkill imo, and would make the whole thing get much larger and heavier, the opposite to what I want. I'm trying to skim the weight and size more as it is.

9. oldlink

oldlink What's a Dremel?

Cheers eddie, I'll check it out.:)

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Í'm really wondering how it will fit on the new "NV35" FX. The soon to be replacement for the curent FX card. As most of us now know this card will be introduced late may.

Corect me if I'm wrong but I bet the layout of the curent FX must be the same as the "NV35" otherwise it's prety pointless that Gainward is going to make this 'enhanced' version of the current FX card.

Or they have a few hundreds of the curent FX card laying around and to get this card out of their stock is to put this WC kit on it and sell the damn thing before its to late. On the other hand, they can use this as a selling test case. And when the time is right they will implement this on the NV35FX.

As this Enhanced version is for the diehard gamers/modders out there. Then this group will wait that 2 months for the NV35 FX card instead of the current FX card. Hey! we diehards are not stupid, we always want the fastest and the best card. I prefer to wait 2 months to get the 2x faster NV35 then this fx. I quess it is cheaper too, because of the cheaper memory anyway.

So to make the conspiracy theory complete, This WC kit will be made for the upcomming NV35 FX card also. And if this is the case. Gainward has a real awesome card in their hands.

11. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

How is the card as far as weight is concerned? That looks like a fair amount of copper. If you add the weight of the water it could put quite a strain on the card.

Otherwise it looks fantastic. I had a go at making my own waterblock before. It turned out alright, but this is just plain amazing. I'm so proud of Bit-Tech. It's growing up so fast. Next it will be a multi-billion dollar corporation :D .

P.S.- I notice you still have the molex connector attached to the FX still. Wasn't that originally for the fan?

12. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

I certainly won't be drawn on anything about NV35. :naughty: However, what you are saying, from a purely outrospective point of view, would make a lot of sense, were you me. :cooldude: At the end of the day, this will be a significant investment for Gainward, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that building something purely to fit one card is pretty pointless. :lol:

13. Iceman

Iceman Staff

I actually totally forgot about that :) It would seem to be rather expensive to make something for one card though wouldn't it? After all it's a special item and I think people would hate to spend the money and throw it away! The layout of most boards are quite similar these days though, the GF4 and the FX are very similar indeed.

14. OneProdigy

OneProdigy What's a Dremel?

What about reducing weight and cost by using a plexi-top for the gpu and memory coolers?
    I built a pair of coolers for my Geforce 4 Ti some time ago...here's a shot:
    [​IMG]

btw. nice work, BladeRunner! :thumb:

15. BladeRunner

OneProdigy

I've not seen your cooler before, very nice.... the silver/ blue card contrast looks really sweet, do you have any project build images?

AstrumProelaito

The power connector is required for the card not just the fan, (it seems they are all going this way as Radeons are the same). It needs to be plugged in, the card works without it connected but informs you in windows it's required for it to run at the higher clock speeds in 3D.

============================

As I've said in this topic, (and it really would be worth people reading through it all before posting), I doubt the final product will look anything like my cooler. It's just the production factors of things make it uneconimcal to do. This doesn't mean a smaller production level of my type of cooler is impossible, but It's just not the market a large company would be intereted in.

Trust me when I say that I'm working toward being able to make something nearer the cooler design shown in the future, but I have a lot of things to assess first so it wont be anytime soon.

Ganiward want something more universal as mentioned in these past few threads so that it doesn't only fit one model of card in one card range.

16. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

:thumb: :clap: Man very nice the way that looks alone makes me want to go out and water cool now... Heh...:D Its very clean and very sleek looking good job..:thumb: Hmm now if only there were a solution for a non water cooled one that could be placed in mass production :sigh:

17. OneProdigy

Most times i forgot my digicam when i was building these coolers...so i can only show you a handfull, sorry!
    Here's what i got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you got any questions feel free to ask...i hope i can answer them, but unfortunately my english is not the best. But i would be glad to help you with this project! ;)

18. BladeRunner

well I've been trying to put asside the time to do an upgrade to my own site, had most of it done but lost it all to a break in at my house a while back & I'm having to start again. :waah:

Anyway would be nice to have your cooler in a possible new "what others have done" section on my site at some time if you liked?.

had you seen my Ti4600 cooler build before you made your one btw?

19. OneProdigy

Yep, i saw your liquid cooled gainward! ;)

You can say you inspired me! :idea:
    In fact before i built this alu-plexi cooler i did a copper cooler just like yours, but i didn't quite manage to get the top and bottom copper parts soldered together airtight! :miffed:
    It was running fine without leaking for about 2 weeks but then it happened... :wallbash:

Here are some shots of the copper cooler (similarities to your cooler are 'coincidence' of course ;) ...but it's by far not as perfect as yours!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sure, feel free to use any of my Pics on your site! ;)

20. BladeRunner

looks good too, and it's nice to see I've inspired others to get creative ;) . Shame it leaked and it's unusual with soldering. It maybe partly due to the solder you used. I used electrical solder which is a less strong solder, (but it hardly matters in this usage), however not only does it contain a flux core it is also designed to flow and cover and join better.

The only soldering failure I had was in the learning stages when I soldered a block to a base before drilling any barb holes. Of course the problem is the gas pressures build up inside when heated and the gas in getting out disturbs the solders seal as it's setting. I now always drill a pilot hole in the barb area before soldering and have had no leak falures since.

Tags: Add Tags