1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

The most awesome thing for me is the mclarens on the front row, im a bit of a macca fanboi but, the main reason im happy about that is they dont have the pig ugly stepped nose and they're still very quick!

Should make for an interesting race with almost everybody struggling to keep the rear in check. The Lotus showing competitive pace in the hands of grosjean is awesome and i really hope he can convert that to some real points, Kimis going to be the man on the move imo, hopefully the extra tires will give him a decent chance of some points.

Ferrari were aa big surprise for me, i had heard the reports the car was a bit of a pig, but assumed it was just heavy sandbagging, it appears that it is indeed a bit of a pig, but that will more than likely change come spain.

A final note on the SKY broadcast, Im really happy with it so far, its just as good as what the beeb managed last year but with a few more bells and whistles.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Ferrari to me seems to have fallen into the "lackadaisical years" again.

Kinda like the late 70s-80s.

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Great quali, so good to see so many teams being very competitive meaning a lot of surprises in store I think. I also believe that as the cars seem to be more similar in pace, this season will be a lot more down to driver skill than who has the best car.

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Well frankly, this is shi*

Dear BBC, GTF.

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

A cracking opening round qualy. And I'm not just saying that because of the Macca 1-2 (which is nice btw :)), but due to the fact that the grid really has been shook up by the rule changes over the winter.

I mean, who'd have predicted Grosjean be P3? Certainly not me. Or both Ferraris being as lowly placed as they are?

Marty mentioned in the commentary that the Ferrari looked a pig to drive, and yes, it was - but to my eye all the cars have very loose rear ends - all of them didn't seem that stable... Which should make for interesting racing.

As for the coverage? Marty + Crofty = Pure, unadulterated WIN. Excellent double act.

Damon needs some presenting lessons, but I'm sure he'll get the hang of it soon. I mean if EJ can do it, I'm sure he can :)

Ted - Excellent as ever.

Georgie? Hmmm - I'll reserve judgement, but She's not really there for her technical insight into the sport, is she...

The only thing I don't think works is Lazenby. I just can't get to grips with him being the anchor - he's the Sky Rugby presenter, in my eyes and always will be.

Can't sky lure Jake from the Beeb? I'm sure enough non-sequential used 50's could bring him over to the dark side.

Was it just me, or did the HD picture quality look absolutely brilliant? Better than BBC One HD? I still need to check out the 5.1 - so I'll be waking the neighbours up tomorrow morning, and hang the consequences! :lol:

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Have to agree with all of that :lol:

The way it's shaken up is going to make it awesome! Kimi coming through the pack in what is clearly a very fast car will be great, just a shame he lost the gamble in staying on Meds for Q1.

Grosjean was fantastic! My thoughts were that in 2009 he was just too green for F1 and I think he'd be the first to agree with me. Another couple of years in GP2, including utterly dominating it last year, have given him a bit more of a cool head. One to watch.

Coverage is excellent. Have to agree with everything G.O.O. says. As far as Georgie goes, I'd prefer it if they just dumped here for Suzi Perry, still some eye candy, intelligent and genuinely loves racing.

Bring on the race :clap:

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I was crushed after quali, mainly because I always tend to favor Alonso.

Two things make me hopeful

- Alonso hasn't gone all "I give up, life is sh*t" which would indicate that these are just teething problems. Also, P12 was largely the result of his spin (he was looking down into the cockpit as it happened, not too smart) and not inherently a driver/car package deficiency. Still, the Fezza is slower than the rest.

- The pack is tight. At least the first couple of races should be a hoot to watch, before different development speeds begin to separate the men from the boys.

8. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Just watched the quali on iPlayer. Looking forward to seeing Kimi (and maybe Alonso, at times it felt like he was making places on sheer willpower alone last year) storming through the pack tomorrow as we know he's in a fast car.

I agree with stonedsurd, everything feels so tentative and close, with everyone stepping on each others toes. Grosjean is testatment to that. It'll certainly make the first few races interesting and who knows, a team might be able to gain a few points early and maybe Ferrari will be left at the starting blocks.

The new BBC coverage will need getting used to, you can tell a lot of preparation has gone into the coverage, I really do hope some of the spontaneity of the F1 Forum remains. Just had a look at the Sky Guide and couldn't see any F1 coverage (not even highlights) on another channel apart from Sky Sports F1. How are they going to entice into buying the Sky Sports F1 channel mid season? This is the first year where I'll be able to see rival coverage.

How are non Sky Sports F1 people going to be tuning in tomorrow morning? I'm thinking R5 Live.

9. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Tomorrow morning I plan to be asleep during the GP. Will watch the BBC coverage in the afternoon with my customary tuna, mayo & paprika sandwiches. Beer will be provided by the Dolle brewery.

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Don't want to hunch but Jenson in front at lap 34. Come on boy you can do it.

sent from HTC Sensation

11. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Man of the race so far is Peers and shock car of the race is Williams. Well done Williams

sent from HTC Sensation

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Who ? You mean Perez ? In my opinion man of the race is Alonso. 5th place with a junk car is a good result. Sauber and Raikonnen were good, Maldonaldo is the idiot of the day (throwing away a 6th place result) and Massa did his typical bad racing.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2012
  13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Cracking race, the field is tight between the midfield, and it's great to see Williams back in there too - didn't think I'd be seeing a Williams chasing down Alonso this year!

More importantly Red Bull don't have the strong arm in quali anymore, spicing up races from the previous trend of Mr Vettel smashing away at the front.

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Just f**king sack Massa already. *****.

15. alastor

alastor Minimodder

I've only just seen the qualifying highlights...sigh. Sky has ruined it all for me.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

currently seeing if i can... acquire the GP/Quali... even though i know the result i'd still ike to see what happens...

17. jimbo90210us

jimbo90210us What's a Dremel?

According to the BBC schedule you can acquire it on BBC 2 later, only the highlights though not the whole race.

18. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

fixed

19. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Only agreement from me on that point. The last 2 years he's been nothing but a whiny little bitch and he's been uncompetitive ever since the title was literally taken from him at the last corner by Hamilton. Some will say he's not been the same since the accident (which was utter horror and I do feel for him for that, wouldn't wish it on anyone) but he'd lost it before that.

Great race though!! Really surprised by a lot of the various paces of teams. Malaysia, with a proper straight, is going to be very interesting.

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

For highlights they seem to be showing a hell of a lot of the race