1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

There are no problems - only opportunities for improvement.

I see you figgered that out. Well met.

john

Last edited: 28 Mar 2012
  2. Renovatio_Design

Renovatio_Design Loading...

[​IMG]

Congrats mate, is a Piece of Art! beautiful design.:jawdrop:

3. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

The feet look stunning mate and for the mistake it happens to everyone and the good thing is you can fix it. :D

Last edited: 28 Mar 2012
  4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Epic mod is epic. Epic modders dont do mistakes. They are just upgrading to the latest version!!! :) Mod on bro, enjoy your work cause its outstanding. Period.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks peteski :)

I've never written an email to any companies asking to get sponsored before, wouldn't know what to write or where to send the message, sponsorship is a bit of a mystery to me. :lol: A guess the final weight thing sounds fun though, if I can get sponsored with a gtx 680 I'll put my 580 up as the prize & it has arctic cooling accellero extreme plus II cooling on it, think that would make a kickass prize for me & a viewer who guesses the closest weight. :D:rock:

Dimensions which should be exactly like the concept with me printing the design.
    HTPC
    365mm high 235mm deep 218mm wide

Stand with feet
    403mm high 343mm deep 283mm wide

Gaming rig
    442mm high 343mm deep 249mm wide

Overall
    840mm high 343mm deep 283mm wide

Thinking of placing it on a nice strong pedestal, maybe even on a lazy susan for super easy maintenance, got a really strong heavy duty 450mm one incoming intended for a photo booth but might use it for this rig also. :hehe:

pay a modder :lol:

not bad :) like I said though I'll put more effort into the feet before I order the extra material, cheers voigts it looks like a starting block for the feet design, actually considered doing the stands side panels something like that. :)

:D lol cheers cleveland, grades are 5251 for all sheet up to 3mm, 5083 for 4mm upwards, 6082 for any bars, stealthlow was of the lowest grade except the bars but the grades for this are perfect for anodising, except the bars but is the same grade as what The_Gnu used & his turned out nice so should all be great for anodising. :)

True, cheers John. :)

Thanks mate appreciated. :)

Cheers paslis, tweaked the design, printed, print failed & was about 2 or 3mm bigger so printed again & it was spot on, cut the needed tweaked bit out & very carefully placed it where it was needed & ready for cutting again now. :D

Thanks Alex :D I nearly took the easier route & just cut it but I kinda knew it would bug me at a later time. :lol:

Got the fixed pattern printed & carefully applied to the gamer back panel & punched the drilled holes with a pencil :D so good to continue again. :)

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Fixed pattern applied & already working on it, this shot makes it look wonky but that's just the sticker sheet risen up a bit, it pressed back down nicely. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And say hello to my little finger choppers. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These will occupy the 2 main front fans & I'll be applying my custom fan frames to these but I think I'll redesign the grills I was going to use so it's a bit safer. :D

These fans come run at 1600RPM but also come with a 900 & 1200RPM cable, I'll use the 900 for the htpc, not sure about the gaming rig yet.

7. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Nice, you got me googling and looking up specs on them fans, not seen them before.

Are you using the 140mm ones?, they look nice .

I see your still cutting out your holes :thumb:, carry on.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

They look awesome!

And Refraction is the real finger chopper, it has 3 fully exposed, front mounted fans. At least yours will be covered up slightly. :D

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Where did they come from. I like the look of those.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Not sure but think they only do 140mm ones at the moment, think if they did 120mm I'd have used them also, there are a few youtube vids of it in action, on highest speed they are noisy, this is why I'm unsure what speed I'll have them run at but will go with the lowest speed for the HTPC.

Ultra expensive though @ £24 each. :eeek: But compared to enermax apolish fans, not a bad deal really.

Must be why I'm dreaming & scroll sawing there too, waaaaaaay too much scroll saw action. :lol: Close to done on the high detail cut work though now, couple more big sessions & then a pile of easier panels. :)

Look awesome now, wait until I mod them, full metal fans. :naughty::rock:
    :hehe: Only dangerous plastic fans are high RPM ones, the ones that sound like mini jet engines ;) these really would do damage to fingers especially on the 1600RPM, this is why they come with a pre installed grill so they don't get sued by anyone who hurts themself with them. :D

Bought them from overclockers, last 2 they had at the time. :)

Just having a quick break from cutting. :)

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

Damn those fans are good, run the the fans as slow as possible, they'll play on all the slots you've cut, the effect will be stunning:jawdrop:

12. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Damn those fans are nice!

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice fans, possibly with you encouraging me to go for them why I ended up doing so :D nice one, hope I can work them to how I want them to be. :)

:D Yeah :)

Finished cutting the gamer back panel. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up next the gamer front panel & then a little break so I can get the scroll saw out of my dreams lol. :D

14. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Wicked cutting Waynio, I wouldent have the patience to do something like this!

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I hear that a lot :hehe: thanks Balder. :D

16. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

May the scroll saw Force be with you - "obi one voice"

17. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Quick question, the pictures you posted above, have you used a file on them or is that how it was from the scroll saw. Impressive

18. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

It's toe suckingly good :naughty::worried:

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Cheers Cleveland216, good solid progress the past 2 days. :rock:

Yeah I'm aiming for as minimal finishing as possible so cutting right to the lines :D cheers ozzylow.

:lol::eeek::worried::hehe:

Decided I'm going to have a little break from the project to enjoy some sunshine while we have some & catch up on a couple of the ever increasing backlog of awesome games I have :D & I could smell the detailed chunky aluminium panels coming to an end so thought the heck with it & pushed forward, I don't consider acrylic the tiniest bit difficult to cut on the scroll saw compared to aluminium, it's sanding acrylic to a sweet finish which is a nightmare lol. :D

So the last of the detailed chunky panels, gamer front, start.
    [​IMG]

I'm surprised I did these super tiny holes, the 1mm drill bit I used just about fit this cut out lol, but I did the drilling well before so couldn't not do it leaving a drill hole, had to get my very fine blades out for this 1, quite proud I managed to do it nicely. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This circle hmmmmm, why didn't I just drill the right size?, maybe it was because I didn't want to risk drilling badly.
    [​IMG]

Done, well not done but cut at least like all the other panels so far. :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, with me taking a break from it to recover I thought I'd take photos of all the work done so far. :)

HTPC sides & front 10mm.
    [​IMG]

Stand sides 10mm.
    [​IMG]

Stand bottom 4mm.
    [​IMG]

Gamer top pieces 3mm & 4mm, it'll make sense later in the project. ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gamer side panels 3mm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

HTPC back panel 3mm.
    [​IMG]

Gamer back panel 3mm.
    [​IMG]

Gamer front panel 3mm.
    [​IMG]

Group hug photos. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So time to relax before I get back at it & when I do the rest of the scroll saw work should be quickly done & ready for stage 2, I’ll try to get the feet finalised in the meantime, there is still a lot of cutting to do but it's all far more simple & then it goes to the thinner material which I can breeze through. :)

Also got the sound card ordered for the HTPC, PITA how you can't buy auzentech sound cards in the UK now, had to buy direct from them, there are a few alternative shops but I wouldn't buy from them with all the bad feedback they have, went for the x-fi forte low profile card, got to have awesome sound on a HTPC. :D

At least a week before another update. :eek:

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:nono: Don't stop. You lose your place and make mistakes that way. I know these things.:D