1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

want to create a quick shutdown icon/tile right click desktop select new, shortcut in the first box type shutdown /s next type name you want, then finish

to add to start screen obviously right click the icon, select pin to start

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Jun 2012
  2. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

I have a laptop i am trying to reinstall windows on but the CD key has faded and it wont work :/

Can I install the windows 8 preview or do I need a valid license key for an older windows version?

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you can install the preview, but you might need the cd key from the website

4. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

Sooooooo I installed an M4 into my Asus eee netbook and tried to usb install win8 (no dvd drive obviously) but what ever I did it just wouldn't work.

In the end I installed 32bit version on my ssd while it was connected to my PC then moved it to my netbook. Now when it boots it reboots as it gets to the lock screen and then is fine????

Maybe this is something to do with it detecting the hardware on my PC during install so is expecting that hardware on boot so needs to reboot?
    Think I will try to install it on PC again but on first reboot power down and put SSD back into my netbook before it goes through the detecting hardware stage. Thoughts?

Side point if anyone knows - I have installed the asus win7 driver for display in compatibility mode, as that was the only way it would install, and everything works fine in the correct resolution (instead of crappy widened 1024x768 where all your icons are fat) EXCEPT the metro screen is a bit....erm....... fragmenty????? (is that even a word?) :)

Other that that I have to say I am a big big fan of win8 having recently moved over to winphone7.5 and even though I have never seen the point of tablets I can easily see myself going for the transformer prime win8 version as it ticks every box (FINALLY!)

5. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

How did you try creating the USB install drive? I had no problems using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Am I being particularly stupid here, or is there no way to close down a running application without going into the task manager?

Please tell me this is not true... as that would be a really, really stupid and unforgivable thing for MS to do. I mean.. why?

7. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

Alt + F4, Right Click + Close on the App in the Metro switcher or Click the top of the app and drag to the bottom of the screen.

The last one takes a bit of practice to do quickly with a mouse but works quite well.l

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

10. GoodBytes

11. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

12. impar

impar Minimodder

13. GoodBytes

I think Microsoft changed it, their mind for image reasons. In other words, manager(s) took decision, PR notice the news reaction in the media, and inform higher Manager to act.

Since Vista was released, Microsoft has been in this "image clean-up" if you will, and Vista OS didn't help.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

A LOL moment:

16. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I'm having nothing but problems with my installation of the Consumer Preview.

I've managed to sort out the issue I was having trying to access the store by creating a new user account. However, now some of my other apps have stopped working. The weather app get's stuck loading and never fully opens, while the MS News and the Tom's Hardware app I downloaded exit instantly. The live-tile doesn't work on the pictures app either. All other apps work perfectly though, it's very random.

On top of that, I'm having serious stability issues. At random intervals, the OS will slowly crash. It doesn't become fully unresponsive straight away, but any open programs slowly begin to stop working. No blue screen appears or anything like that. Under Event Viewer, Win32K has been erroring on a regular basis. Short of a full re-install, I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Anyone else having similar issues?

17. GoodBytes

I think you have drivers issues.

18. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

Windows 8

Microsoft really has to shove their nose in the tablet market don't they ?

19. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I've just being trying out the "dev version" of Chrome for metro. Flash video was present and mostly working when I popped onto the escapist for zero punctuation. I just hope it makes it into the RT version.

20. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Sorry I meant the Release Preview, not the Consumer Preview.

Possibly. There does seem to be an issue with my graphics drivers. Photoshop CS6 comes up with an error on startup regarding my display driver and turns off the GPU acceleration. I've got the latest 296.17 version of nVidia's display drivers for Win8, and have tried re-installing them, which cured the Photoshop issue to begin with, but the error re-appeared on the second time of running Photoshop, and now GPU acceleration is permanently unavailable.

I didn't have these issues with the Consumer Preview, and even the Developer Preview was more stable on this machine than the Release Preview.

Edit. It may be a problem with Google Chrome. Anyone else using Chrome?

Last edited: 13 Jun 2012