1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Omega Desk - [26 January] Project Complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Squigly, 20 May 2012.

?

Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?

1. Pumps facing backward

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Pumps facing forward

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Bad luck on MOTM Squigs. A very close run competition, but congrats on getting 2nd. Can't wait to see this finished now.

2. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

+1 you got my vote.

3. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Thanks bud, much appreciated!

Thanks getting there slowly

:thumb: Thanks, almost had it there for a second, just really glad to have been part of it, I think the community as a whole wins for putting up such awesome work all of the time, so the nomination was a big ups alone

Thanks bluc, appreciate the support, from everyone!! its great motivation and I cant wait to get working on it again!!

4. Squigly

10 August update, Almost there!!

Was a bank holiday yesterday so took the day off today and headed into the workshop, I was really hoping the sponsorship stuff would have arrived, its in country but the post office still have their grubby paws on it.. I will be needing the stuff to finish up some of the final holes.. but apart from the glass and its hinges, the desk construction is basically complete.. still need to tidy up a few things, sand, powdercoat etc.. but the actual construction... DONE!! :rock::rock:

But onto the progress for the day.
    I got the center panels as well as the backplate properly mounted
    [​IMG]

That allowed me to clean the last section of the back of the desk
    [​IMG]

After some grinding and filing it was all nice and clean
    [​IMG]

After that I spent some time making sure all holes were cleared and able to mount easily, I am officially at 196 bolts, needless to say I now have tendinitis in my wrist and that whole exercise took a little while..

so all back together again :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Did however receive my lighting this week so did a quick test fit for length. I ordered 2 meters of the lights so had already cut .5m off its still a little long so will trim them down a little.
    [​IMG]

Other than that i just took a bunch of snaps with my phone..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here it sits till the parts arrive.. I will be focusing a little more on the screen cases now, I think i will end up going with fiber glass for the fron of the screen case with an alu back but will see about that over the weekend.
    [​IMG]

I will take some better pics once its been cleaned off and powder coated.

Thanks again for checkin in
    Squigs out!

5. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Ohhh man! Can't wait!

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Me too, looking good. :cooldude:

7. Squigly

Thanks gents, eagerly awaiting the arrival of some parts so I can officially finish it off and get working on the paint, I have some idea's on a custom spray design :idea: :rock:

8. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

:eek: can't wait until you have those lights turned on

9. Vloyadkin

Vloyadkin What's a Dremel?

what a beauty. cant wait..

10. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Subbed and watching :)

11. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Looking really good now Squigly :thumb: Really looking forward to the next update!!

12. Squigly

B-day update

hopefully soon bud :)

Thanks guys!!

Thanks Sarakon, took it easy this weekend but will hopefully get cracking soon

Well took the day off with it being my B-day, try as often as possible to get it off:rock:
    Anyway was planning a chilled day at home, but it seems the delivery gods are a smiling on me today :thumb:

First up the sponsorship goodies finally arrived :clap: Thanks again Sven for all the help and special rates, very much appreciated!
    Box was fairly banged up (typical of our postal service) so was super eager to get in and make sure all was ok..
    [​IMG]

hmmm so it seemed ok..
    [​IMG]

Sooo what we got, WHAT WE GOT!!
    the nickel plated copper aquatube with lighting and rinsing modules, this thing is heavy!! and NICE!!!!
    [​IMG]

And the Aqua filter for g1/4 fittings and lighting module
    [​IMG]

Now since the guys at AquaComputer were kind enough to give such a gret discount i thought it only fair to have some decent photo's so please excuse the double shots..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there i was happily keeping myself busy with the new bits when i get a call from the delivery company on another order i had put through a few days ago with earlier than expected delivery :rock:

Hmmmm package number 2
    [​IMG]

AAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrgggggg 2nd layer of packaging... lemme in already dangit!!
    [​IMG]

Happiness!! my Nostromo.. ready to complete the Razer collection (now Lycosa keyboard, Mamba mouse and Chimera 7.1 headset)
    [​IMG]

Now that i have the res and filter I can finish off the backplate, now just waiting for the radiator and a few other goodies :)

Thanks for checkin in
    Squigs out (to the pub)

13. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

As i said before: BRING IT TO RAGE :rock::thumb::D

14. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Still LOVE that reservoir! :)

15. Squigly

:thumb: Will do my best to get it to the expo, still have a way to go on this thing :eeek:

I dont blame you bud, when i saw yours i knew i just had to have one!! was a bit worried at first cos they said they didnt have any more and werent making any more either.. but they got back to me after finding one hiding in a corner somewhere.. so i though it would give it a good home :lol:

16. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

AWESOME I love these desk builds and this one is a beast, watching with much interest :D

17. Squigly

:thumb: Thanks Coola, will try keep updates as regular as possible :rock:

Another workshop day and was really hoping to get stuck into the screens.. but was far to distracted by the Aquacomputer items I had received so got stuck into mounting those..

Both the filter and res will be mounted on the backplate so started off by scribing off where the filter would be mounted
    [​IMG]

Was going to use the scroll saw to cut out the section but since the backplate is so wide i had to use the jigsaw, a little patience and slow cutting and i got the hole nice and tidy
    [​IMG]

Did a quick test fit... so far so good
    [​IMG]

When i tried to mount the actual filter i noticed the 2 bottom bolts were catching.. it seems this has been designed to be mounted on a standard case where material is normally around 1mm, since I am using 2mm aluminium it was just shy of clearance.. So.. brand new parts straight onto the milling machine :rock:
    [​IMG]

I just needed 2mm in almost a half moon on either side for clearance on the nuts, just below the main window area.
    [​IMG]

The clearance worked out puuuurfect!!
    [​IMG]

So now onto the res.. got some M4 threaded bar and cut it down to 70MM lengths, i wanted the res 50mm away from the back wall to accommodate the nickel plated copper tubes i will be using (still to come)
    [​IMG]

I had some spare tube in the workshop that I planned to use as a sheath on the threaded bar.(soz crap phone pic)
    [​IMG]

The problem was the inside diameter of the tube is 6mm, the threaded bar is 4mm so it was a little loose...
    [​IMG]

Had some tubing from a old silk screen printer laying around.. hmmmm gotta love when scraps come in handy!!! took the tube and inserted it into the tube, was a perfect spacer
    [​IMG]

So got them pushed in nice and clean and test fitted the res..
    [​IMG]

I really like this res!! l3p i cannot thank you enough on showing us this!! And as I said at the start the desk is inspired by the l3p d3sk and I just really like this mounting for the res shows it of so well!!
    [​IMG]

both mounted :rock:
    [​IMG]

So now that those were done i then got distracted by re-doing the IO plate, got most of the way done with it till my scroll saw blade broke.. and like a muppet.. i didn't have any spares so will finish that off next week.. and of course.. i didn't really get anything done on the screens.. but think i have a workable solution for them now after some planning..

Not much of an update this week, but thanks anyways for checkin in

Last edited: 18 Aug 2012
  18. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

No problem man, still in love with it myself too. I'm actually honored I was able to inspire you :thumb:

I can already give you as a tip, if needed, out of the 3 backside holes use the top as inlet, the bottom as outlet :D

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Missed the last update until now, looks awesome Squigly, 2nd to last shot really highlights how good the res looks. :rock:

20. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

That reservoir is sweet! Breaking the warranty right after opening the package is always fun!