1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Wii U launch dated and debut line-up announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Sep 2012.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The wii was a lower spec machine than the other consoles. All consoles are generally a few generations behind pcs. Which is my frame of reference. I don't mean down clocked or something.

2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure that is entirely accurate.

Example: The Uncharted series.

You know what he means...

It's not very powerful when compared to last gens low end gaming rigs.

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

... but it only has to run the game. Plus since the plateform is homogenous, it can be far more optimized than computer games.

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

All I want to see is the Aliens clip I saw somewhere ages ago. New Aliens game as more survival horror than shooter, on this, with the tablet screen as the motion sensor. That can only be win.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Actually I didn't, when you compare consoles to PC's then yeah fair enough, not like it matters much until they get quite old since they can optimise a lot more for them. But he said even if he was a console gamer he wouldn't look at one. It is easy to jump on the bandwagon and say "The wii was weak therefore this must also be weak" but if it wasn't for the Gamecube's crappy 1.4GB discs it could've had much prettier games than the PS2 since it was more powerful. I'm just getting a tad sick of speculation about the Wii U being underpowered. First of all most launch games are PS3 and 360 ports, Pikmin 3, the main first party game was in development since before the Wii was released! Of course it looks like nothing spectacular, it was being developed for the Wii! Also new consoles never have good looking games, a good example is Rainbow Six Vegas on the 360, play that bad boy in Co-op and all of the textures look uglier than a PS2 to cope with the extra rendering.

Until somebody can take a look under the hood and say "This is the same hardware as the 360 and PS3 have" then the speculation is unfounded. Hell we won't even know if it is underpowered until Microsoft and Sony release their next consoles, something which won't even be that incredibly of a leap if they wish to reach the sweet spot of £250-£300.

7. GoodBytes

I think GameCube problem was that it wasn't able to play DVD's. DVD's where new, and unlike Blu-ray, it was much needed at the time, no mater the TV type you had. So people preferred the PS2. Also, the GameCube was released too early, where even Nintendo didn't have games for it, beside Luigi Mansion. It took a while for games to pop-up. This looked bad for the console, especially that the early games where kids aimed games.. mixed with N64 late life which was focus on kids game, hurt the console. Kids find cool what grown up likes. Mature games, even though they are not suppose to play them.

Also, the GameCube, at least here in Canada, had virtually no advertisement of any kind, while Sony was pulling an Apple, where you have ads on about every commercial break on prime time, plus poster ads, plus Sony had their Sony retail store in shopping mall showcasing the console. PLUS, Sony bought exclusivity.

And of course, the smaller disks didn't help.

It sucks, especially that the GameCube, even today, has THE BEST controller, more power, small size, and the console had the ability for a LAN party setup, via network. Heck it even had a handle, that's how hard core it was. Not to mention that the GameCube had something that the other console didn't have. Super fast to no loading, despite using a disk.
    This was thanks for Nintendo loading while gaming system. Where the console could load the next level or room or wtv, while you are getting closer to it, so when you pass through that door, you had 0 loading. Now today, consoles all have that features, or developers don't break their head and install the game on the HDD, but at the time, it was a big deal. Sadly it didn't make console movies until Resident Evil 4 and Super Smash Brothers... leaving Nintendo to make a nice profit but end in 3rd place.

Nintendo could no longer compete against 2 billion dollar companies: Microsoft and Sony.
    No wonder Nintendo pulled out of the race with the Wii, and bet highly on casual gamers. and that move probably even made gamer.

It seams now that Nintendo wants to get back in the game, and it seams it has the funds for it, and now seams to be betting on going for innovation and new game experience to do the work for them. So we will see what Nintendo does.

I wonder if the Sony or Microsoft will make these ads like Sega did:

8. GoodBytes

TRAILERS of WiiU games, not showed in the press release:

Looks awesome! And this is CRAZY games for lunch games! You usually have crap games for about year. So this is going to be awesome:

Watch all trailer in HD - All trailers are new:

Warriors OROCHI 3 HYPER

Toki Tori 2 (check out the map editor on the WiiU controller)

Thank! Thank! Thank! (This is an actual arcade console game ported to WiiU)

Rayman Legends

Scribblenauts Unlimited (Object editor system and new feature: basic programming)

Darksiders 2

Aliens: Colonial Marines

New Super Mario Bros. U

LEGO City: Undercover (Looks like GTA style game for all ages, and a comedy)

The Avengers Battle For Earth (If I am not mistaken, this game was on the XBox 360 with Kinnect that destroyed the game... now it's on WiiU, with proper controls)

Injustice

And,
    The Best for last: :D

Dubstep recap (you gotta have those) [not official]

9. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

this looks promising ^^

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Sorry what? The D-pad on the GameCube controller is the worst in history.

11. GoodBytes

You haven't used an XBox 360 controller, where it's nearly impossible to fast press a direction and not have it go in diagonal.

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I have, and the D-pad on those is shocking too..although you can mod them with a cut out from a Pringles lid I'm told.

13. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

If rayman legends is anything like rayman origins thats enough reason alone to get the console.

Oh and the sega Saturn had the best controller.

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Pff... It needs watercooling! :lol:

15. wafflesomd

Based on price, size, and gameplay footage, I can't see the hardware being much faster than the ps3/360.

Also, IMO a few gamecube games looked a lot better than stuff on the PS2. Metroid Prime for example.

Most of the launch titles are not ps3/360 ports.

Personally, I'm bored of consoles. I like having total control of my gaming experience so I suppose I will always stick to PC.

They better release that on PC. I paid full price for the pc version of Rayman origins and that game was superb. That's one of the things I hate about consoles. Exclusives. If I want to play rayman legends, it will essentially cost me nearly $400.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2012
  16. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I got rayman origins on the Wii, for £10. Amazing game, play it with friends, the missus and my four year old, who has been playing it from 3. No matter who I play with, I always have fun on it, everyone that I know that played it loves it. Truely deserved the 99% it got. Don't think I would like it on the PC, as playing in a group is where its at, and it seriously shows Mario bros Wii how to do it.

17. GoodBytes

Do you have a touchscreen secondary screen? Cause you need this for the co-op mode, and clicking/swiping/drag to the mouse on a big screen isn't practice or fun.

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Completely underwhelmed.

Got a 360 and a Wii, and everyone in the family has their own laptop/PC. It'll be a loooong time before I consider buying another console - and probably never for the WiiU.

I haz new gadget release fatigue.

19. evti

evti What's a Dremel?

Nintendo consoles aren't necessarily the most powerful consoles out there, but they do things differently. I think that is one of their selling points. Their games are more casual, which is the result/cause of them being less powerful, which is its own niche. I think the WiiU has potential to be awesome, or it can flop, depending on the particular feel of the console. I would not be against trying it but, as of now, I won't buy it. If I did, it would definitely not be when it first comes out.

20. wafflesomd

PC version has co-op. I played it with 2 other people.

Guess Nintendo and Ubi won't get my business then.

Tags: Add Tags