Multi The World Of Tanks thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by octoberfest, 17 Feb 2010.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Personally I find that the significant extra damage of the 105 can be the difference between finishing off an opponent and being taken out. The low hp and thin armour make the Jp vulnerable to return fire. The long 88 reminds me of the panthers top gun, good rpm and pen but poor damange.

I think my play style just suits the 105 more. The cost of the rounds dont bother me, as I am already used to the expensive 105 tiger shells :)

2. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

:/

Vis-a-vis the JP 10.5 vs 88 - I went with the 10.5, as being able to do more damage in a split second can be very useful. You're also much closer to one-shotting T4 scout tanks and T5 artillery, so it's possible without ammo-racking them.

3. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I really like the ROF from the top 122 on the SU152. It just lacks that little bit of extra pen...

4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

why shoot when you can ram then to death! Saves on rounds

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Who needs a hand, when you can have a CLAW!? :)

Ramming was never my thing until I unlocked the Crusader and Cromwell tanks and now I love it...in the right circumstances.

If anyone knows about the ramming mechanics, confirm a few things for me please from some recent instances of ramming I did.

So I am in my Cromwell, making a b-line for their Arty when an M18 Hellcat sees what I am doing and moves to intercept. I shoot at him and miss, he shoot back and tags 50% of my health. We then collide, head on, full speed (about 55-58kPH), we both die. I get 1 kill for it, he had a kill but I don't know if it was for me or another he made.
    Do you know who gets the "credit" for a ram when both parties die in the collision?

Secondly, in another game (also in my Cromwell), I see this PZ III/IV shooting my allies, dammed if I am taking him head on, I use my speed to go round the building and approach him from behind, I ram him, about 20-25KPH right in the rear of his tank, he explodes immediately, only about 20-25% damage is done to me this time.

Now I know from the tankpedia, I am about 3 tons heavier than he is so no doubt that had a impact but am I to assume that because tanks tend to be weaker in the rear, ramming them with your frontal armour into their rear armour protects you a lot more and does significantly more damage to them? If I had tried the same move on a 35-40 ton tank would I have received more damage and/or damaged them less? In the head on collision, the M18 was only 20tons, so I had a good 8 on him and still died, HP clearly also plays a role as I was damaged in the first example.

6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yeah ramming takes alot of stuff into account when dealing damage, relative impact speed ( no point hitting him at 20 if he is backing off at 18 ) vehicle weight ( don't ram stuff bigger than you ) Armour of both tanks ( the part in the collision model taking the damage in this case, your front end vs his much less armored rear ) also spall liners ( apparently ) and there is also a perk that lets you do more ramming damage ( E50 ram cheesecake )

hypothetically if you have 2 perfectly identical tanks driving the same speed and they hit nose to nose they will both do the same damage to each other ( lets say total damage 200 damage as an example, that means each tank receives 100 damage ) if he was stationary the impact speed would be halved so each party would only do 50 ( if i understand the mechanics correctly ) however hitting him in the rear might deal 20 to you, and 80 to him ( depending on Armour )

if both parties die on impact they both get a kill, and if you are ramming a higher teir tank you will also get kamikaze i believe

all in all ramming is VERY effective in the right tank / spot if you get something like a KV5, E50, even a maus running down a hill the damage can be immense and could possibly run HIGHER than shooting him although you will incur damage yourself

Last edited: 15 Nov 2012
  7. lilgoth89

in other news this battle exemplifies my teams the last few days

Battle: Airfield 15 November 2012 17:51:29Vehicle: SU-152Experience received: 666Credits received: 28,583Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Reaper

without premium i get 600+ xp, 7 kills, and we LOSE

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

You will indeed. I have kamikaze in my little SU-26 after a nearly dead Leopard launched himself into me at full speed and killed us both.

9. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Just had a fairly average battle but the last kill I couldnt resist. Come on, who wouldn't? It just had to be done :D

Linky

10. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

We made a stupid mistake early on in the Tier 8 US veterans tournament last night, but we learned from it and are pleased with the result. Hoping for more of the same tonight.

[​IMG]

11. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

nice!:thumb:

12. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just bumped up my best score and it's 1,999xp :waah: I'm never gonna top 2k

13. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I felt like that, then you get thrown a really random match and get 10/11 kills and 2500+ xp.

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

LOL! Scratch that, just hit 2023 in the very next battle :D Trickle becomes a flood.

EDIT: It really does, I've had some stonking games tonight! Sometimes it all just clicks and for the record I've fallen in the love with the IS, dat gun!

Last edited: 17 Nov 2012
  15. Risky

Risky Modder

Nice when the specials come along at the right time. I was looking to buy an M3 Lee soon anyway (as I'm working through all the US lines) so it was a handy saving :)

16. lilgoth89

the m3 is a horrible tank imo
    kinda slow
    no turret
    made of cheese
    fairly poor MM

17. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Heh thanks for the ramming info - I can confirm, ramming a Tiger 1 in a Cromwell at full speed (even with spawl liners) into the Tigers rear, is a bad idea ha ha!

On a slower subject, I unlocked the Churchill VII at the weekend! Wow - that is one big piece of arty bait :/

One good thing is, much of the tech tree for it is unlocked via the Churchill and Cromwell lines so apart from the top gun, I am fully loaded. Track protection is a lot better, but even then it is a lumbering and fairly average tank. Being at the top of the tree is nice, most T5's won’t be able to even scratch you from the front and if well supported you can slowly smash your way to their base.
    However there are too many circumstances where the slow turret traverse, slow track rotation, slow speed and very weak side and rear armour will make you helpless. Arty hits tend to damage multiple modules and or crew at the same time, and losing both a driver and an engine can be fairly fatal. It is better than the Churchill 1 but IMO the teiring is less kind.

I think I am going to stay on the British medium line, the Crusader and Cromwell tanks have been fun, high risk, high reward tanks. The Heavy line for the Brits is a bit of a chore, and the next up from the C VII is the Black Price, which according to the tank wiki is just a slow!!!

Also, I have just researched the Panther 2, although I am a good way off being able to afford it, do you guys think it's worth upgrading to?

18. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

If your not using premium t8 and above is very expensive. Without premium I tend to haemorrhage money until I premium up again. Damn is3 t44 1390 mix.

I don't have the panther 2 but it Sharperthunder and a few of the DOW lads were saying what a terrible grind it was yesterday.

I now have the Lorraine and t-54. I'm enjoying them both now but I look forward to having them full unlocks.

19. Risky

Risky Modder

I wasn't looking forward to it but I'm sticking to the US line so I had to go through it sooner or later. I'm ok about thge lack of turret as I have three turretless TDs already.

20. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

I enjoyed the Churchill VII; until you're in tier 8 battles where the armour is not much help. Black price has the same armour but better angles and a massive hp pool; played 3 (I think) games and managed to get 2nd class with 1770xp (steel wall, sniper, 3k damage)! Needed 2.2k on the VII for master tanker.

Panther II was good fun as I remember it; you're just cursed with poor gun depression; The 88 is very nice.