1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

Collected my pauper 3 series last week, I've ordered a few new cars in my time, but the BMW experience has been by far the best, how have you found it?

Also, expect lots of goodies, I got an awesome little present on collection day and the missus got a bunch of flowers :thumb:

Then a few days ago I received yet another gift by post :naughty:

Not sure I'll ever move over to a different manufacturer now, maybe Merc CLA but I've ordered with them in the past and was pretty underwhelmed with the service.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

They couldn't have it ready for today, and I'm away on business all next week, so it's going to be next Saturday :/

I'd not really thought about the ordering experience, but certainly no complaints. My last car was also a BMW but prior to that I had bought a Citroen, and it was definitely different.

I got one of these with my 123d, so have insisted I need the appropriate replacement for my 7 series. No other toys with the 1 series, though it was new but pre-registered to the dealer (as opposed to first registration). They have thrown me freebies when it comes to service and maintenance though, doing a couple jobs outside of warranty free of charge that they had no obligation to do.

They did insist I took one of the big posh glossy 7 series books away to keep my interest after leaving the dealership having nearly pulled the trigger - they were doing a considerable deposit contribution for new dealer stock during Jan-Feb on 7 series, I said if they could do it on a custom build I'm game, they started making phone calls and I waited for a bit, but it was late on a Friday evening and they couldn't get hold of the right people and I got bored of waiting. I said I was going to head out, consider my options and have another look at the XJ (I had no intention of doing so, but they didn't know that), and they should call me when they have any news.

They woke me up at 09:00 the following morning, clearly keen to get in there before the other dealerships opened up :hehe:

I wouldn't say my brand loyalty would prevent me from ever owning another marque, but I do have a soft spot for BMW, and have since well before I was behind the wheel of one (or anything, for that matter). I've been casually keeping an eye out for a half-investment half-toy car also, and both the Z3M Coupe and E46 M3 CSL present good arguments.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Thought I was the only one who liked the Z3M coupe, everyone I know hates it.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

E46 CSL would be a very shrewd investment - they're on the point of plateauing in terms of depreciation now and have rightly attained legend status. The only fly in the ointment that would put me off owning one is the SMG gearbox - I like a 3-pedaller on a car to really drive, so I'd have a CS.

Z3M is an interesting choice, they don't quite seem to have the following of the other M cars thanks to their slightly archaic handling and slightly marmite looks.

Another good choice is the E39 M5 - they haven't much further to fall now, although that's very similar to your 7-series in terms of size and character.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Anyone know what this is? had it in front coming down the mountain today excuse the photo only had the phone

[​IMG]

Apophis54 and YEHBABY like this.
  6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I'm thinking kitcar, but I can't place the name of it right now

7. Krikkit

It's a McLaren M6 GT/GTR replica based on a Rover I think.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

From the images I've just looked at the rear the GTR certainly is right, It's a shame I couldn't get a side on shot ( driving and taking pictures not recommended ) I'm almost sure the front was more of a pointy shape

Apophis54 likes this.
  9. Mister_Tad

The Waft-Wagon landed yesterday, too busy playing with all of the toys and taking unnecessary journeys to take any decent pictures, might get to that next weekend.

[​IMG]

First impressions:

- Pot hole? What pot hole? I've been driving it about in "Comfort+" mode which loosens the ride right up (there's 5 levels with varying throttle mappings and suspension waftiness) and bits of road where I previously slowed right down for fear of fracturing my pelvis can be taken comfortably without even looking at the brake pedal, the ride quality is genuinely hilarious - slowing down for speed bumps is a thing of the past.

A side effect of that is having to keep an eye on the speed though, 40 feels like 25, 70 feels like 40 etc - just so quiet and smooth, and so much torque on tap even when I'm barely tickling the throttle until it has a thousand or so on the clock. Fortunately there's a button on the wheel to slap on a speed limiter (at the current speed, and adjustable with a little roller next to it). It's been used extensively in the average camera zones around Nottingham (of which there are sadly many). It's completely unobtrusive and simply limits throttle input where it would exceed the set limit (e.g. foot to the floor just potters along at 40 when it's limited to 40). A very small touch, but may very well save me a few points on the license.

- It's a large car, but it shrinks around you when on the road, even in traffic, very easy to position on the road and drive. Less easy in a crowded car park though, and I'm feeling very conspicuous behind the wheel, but I'm sure I'll get used to that. It gets a lot of looks, which could be because of its size, the car in general, or the fact that I don't look like your typical 7er driver. It does dwarf anything you park next to to a hilarious extent in both size and presence, even parked next to a 5er.

- Specifying the "Comfort" seats up front was worth every penny (all 150,000 of them), unimaginably comfortable once tweaked to the nth degree. Also, no 7er should ever come without the surround-view cameras. I can't fathom how anyone navigates these cars (let alone a big Rolls) through car parks without it.

- Very pleased I went with the colour (Azurite Black) - it was an expensive option, being an "Individual" special, but the blue shimmer is simply beautiful in the metal.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2013
  10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Epic ride!

Not a car I would choose (I can't even imagine being in the market for a luxo-barge), but pretty spectacular nevertheless! As you say, it must be incredibly easy to drive very quickly in it without even noticing - dangerous for your license! :)

11. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

@ Mister_Tad..... show off............. :eeek::eeek:

Not jealous at all....win the lottery???

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

how much is a that monster worth ?

13. Krikkit

Very cool tad, I saw one on the M6 today and thought of you!

Comfort seats are one of those rare options that us 2nd hand 7'er scouters really look for. :D

14. Mister_Tad

Not something I thought I would choose either, but the more I started considering my options, the more a luxo-barge appealed to me. And after only two days of ownership, there's no going back. As my wife kindly pointed out to me today "No pressure or anything, but this sets the bar pretty high your next upgrade"... I had better start busting my ass if I'm going to be able to afford a Rolls in 5 years time :hehe:

As it happens, I did not long ago. Once in a blue moon I buy a ticket, and it was my lucky day. Mind you, the tenner didn't go far.

I did spec some options that I may not have done under other circumstances by using the justification of a 30th birthday present from myself to myself, though.

About £15k less than it was worth 18 hours ago... Ain't depreciation a bitch :D

Weren't me. I have been on the motorway a fair bit in the last couple of weeks though, come across a few 7ers, each time thinking "WHY MUST YOU MOCK ME!" :D

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

At least your not in a bad part of the city to get about, I use to live down Lenton way which was a nightmare. Moved out to Beeston and pure bliss, but alas that was a few moons ago now. Currently stuck in the Fenland, looking for a way out fast!

16. Krikkit

:D It's not something I thought I'd be wanting, but I'm eyeing up a barge as my 2nd car - there's something so reassuring about climbing into a comfy car after a long day and just relaxing your way home.

17. Mister_Tad

I was parked up on the road outside a friend's house in Aspley yesterday, and we were sat in the car with the music on rather loud, half expecting someone to walk up, tap on the window and ask to buy some drugs.

I figure in the rough parts of town it will be left alone because the locals will think owner is likely to send the heavies 'round to take them out with two to the chest and one between the eyes should it be messed with. And who knows, he just might :D

Have a look at second hand 7ers - the older you get, the more the running costs will mount up (The fairy dust didn't really come in to the engines on the 7 until last year with the facelift, and understandably, the older you get the more they drink), but given that you can get an E38 with serious waft-factor for so little, feeding and watering it might be a bit easier. If you can stomach the looks of the pre-LCI E65 there are some bargains there as well (I personally like them, but they're an acquired taste)

Last edited: 29 Apr 2013
  18. Krikkit

The E38 is the one I've been lusting after since Tomorrow Never Dies, although I think it's likely to be a pre-facelift gingered 728 rather than a 750i.

Maintenance doesn't frighten me at all, so they're a ridiculously tempting prospect.

Also on the tempting list are W124's and X308's.

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

W124 yes! Personally I've been looking at W126 SEC 500 :) then get cherry bombs :)

20. Mister_Tad

W124 diesel with a straight pipe for the win