1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Bet Pie feels better already :D

2. Scroome

Scroome Modder

I have a natural resistance to anesthesia. A couple years back I had to have my first ever filling done. It tooks seven injections and a sedative for me to not feel the pain.

Also, when I had my operations on my fistual last year, I had my pre-med knock out drugs and when they came to take me to surgery I was wide awake and chatting away. The anesthesist asked me if I had an alchahol problem :(

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Can't find a job no matter how hard I look. Spent 4 years at University and it has gotten me no where so far. If I can't find any steady work by the end of the year I'm packing it in and following a few of my friends to the UK for work.

My 2005 Subaru Liberty (Legacy) has packed it in also. After spending $3500 last year for a new clutch + flywheel, head gaskets, timing kit and rear main seal a bearing is shot in the engine and I have been quoted $5000 parts plus labor to fix. The b*****d has only done 165,000kms as well. I will never buy another Subaru ever again, bloody expensive to maintain and damn unreliable.

So on top of being unemployed I need to replace a car that I have only had for 4 years with the little funds I have left.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Same here, set manual updates only and yet it auto updated itself.

I also run Ubuntu, but I've been working on an efficient work-flow system of exporting from Solidworks via a .obj macro into Blender whilst all in one environment, which makes Win7 the platform requirement.

Ubuntu thinkpad cheesecake

Why is it, us Brits head to aus for work and you're coming here? What did you do at uni? British job market is particularly fierce at the moment, unless your in the top 10% in your field don't expect any better luck in finding work here.

Sorry to hear about the subaru, maybe it killed itself wishing it were a scooby

5. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Having lots of bills and a bad back/knee/sinus. That's ruining my life!

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Funnily enough, I'm also a SW user (at work), and just did the Weldments training course yesterday.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Only another SW user will get this,

"fully defined" :D

8. PAULWARDEN

PAULWARDEN What's a Dremel?

My damn ssd died on me today windows warned me but crystaldiskinfo said that it was ok now waiting to hear back from crucial

9. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Ask them to check you out for Colitis if they haven't already

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I studied Business and Technology (basically a bachelor of I.T plus business minor) at Uni. There are many more jobs available in the UK in the I.T field then there are in Australia right now. Looking at London alone there are more jobs then the entire Australian job market just in I.T. My friend and his girlfriend are heading over in the next few weeks, she is leaving first and he is leaving a few weeks after she is. She just finished HR at uni and landed a graduate job in London paying 40k Stirling as apposed to an entry level 30kAUD here. My other friend has no qualification, just experience and landed a tech support role on the same money. Over here he would never be considered for a role because he has no qualification, only some part time experience. On the other hand I have a qualification but because I did the business minor I have been told I am over qualified for level one help desk and cant get any level 2 jobs without level 1 experience.

I am considering going back to Uni and getting a standalone business degree in the hope of better work opportunities but after spending 4 years doing my current qualification I don't want to spend another 2. If I was going to spend 6 years at uni I would have applied for my Masters and PHD straight off the bat. It's so frustrating having your job market talked up your entire academic career, saying how ahead of the 8 ball we are and that there is an abundance of jobs and then come graduation *BAM* unemployment and I can't even qualify for government assistance. Looks like it's time to find work at a pub or something.

Yes a lot of Brits come to Oz for work, there are serious opportunities in some sectors but where we fall short it looks like you Brits are excelling at the moment.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Sums up what uni was like for for me too... nearly 3 years later, [apart from a 6 month spell as a phone drone] still unemployed...

12. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Been in work since 8am and currently still here Tried to update our monitoring software in the change window 5pm+.....it didnt work, hence why im still here. Nightmare.

13. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

That will be the full bane of my life.

Today receiving a wedding invitation through the post from an old uni mate, and immediately dreading going. I'm really happy for them both and would love to see them again but I have a feeling of trepidation that not much has been happening with my life. Not only do I not have a +1 to take but the cost of going will make things incredibly hard for a while as I am living pretty much hand to mouth with my business atm. If it was next year I would be jumping at the chance but at the moment I only have a single client, with 2 more being signed in a few months as we finish negotiations.

I feel quite sick about it. As to the Colitis thing, I shall give it a look when I go to the doctors next.

14. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Not really ruining my life but really b****y annoying...

I've preordered a Galaxy S4 which I was assured would be arriving today. Hadn't heard anything yesterday so I rang O2 who assured me that it would be delivered today and I would receive an email / text from the courier this morning with an estimated delivery time. This morning rolls around and I've heard nothing so I contact O2 again to be told that it will be dispatched today... When I ask when it will be delivered they cannot tell me for certain - the advisor even said that it could still be delivered today even though it hasn't yet been dispatched... By magic? When I said that the delivery address is a work address so a delivery tomorrow would be no good they simply said to contact them once it had been dispatched :wallbash: Obviously if they try to deliver tomorrow I won't be here to take it but if I change my address to my home address and they try to deliver on Monday I won't be there either...

So all in all I'm left not receiving a phone today and not knowing when it will be delivered or even whether there will be someone to take the delivery when it arrives. Humph.

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Various pieces of uni work which all seem to be due in within a couple of weeks of each other, ugh.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I have nightmares along those lines to this day and it's been 10+ years since my time at university!

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Don't forget that the cost of living will be proportionally higher in London than anywhere in Australia - that's why everyone gets paid more to work there. The general cost of food/bills probably won't be much more than anywhere else but you will have to spend a fortune on rent and travel costs which will eat into that higher salary. Look anywhere else in the UK and it sounds like you will find the job opportunities and wages are much the same as they are in Australia, so if you get here and you don't like London (like me) then you're pretty much screwed.

18. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Well I had fun on Wednesday, I went to try out a job to see if I could do it. All it was doing was refurbishing old office PC's to customer spec. Started off ok but towards the end of the day I started to realise nothing was tested beforehand and most units needed CPU's, RAM, GPU's and hard drives swapping and whatever you picked out of a box might not work.

In the end I was trying to get 4 PC's ready in an hour all needed CPU, RAM and GPU swaps and hard drives put in, 3 with XP and one win7, well I spent over an hour using a crap PC with wires hanging out of it trying get a free crap ghosting program to write 3 40gb IDE drives, I must have tried 12 drives and the server with the images on was crashing every so often. In the end I gave up because it was the end of the day.

All the copy's of XP are using the same key and Win7 keys are pulled from old PC's so you have to call MS to activate them. No wonder the person that I would have replaced had only been there 6 months. In the end I was offered the job and had to say no. It wouldn't have been so bad if hardware was tested so you know it works.

I know I want a job in IT but im not doing all that for £6p/h for someone to buy old PC's for £10 each and sell them for £100 with ripped off windows and units coming back every day because they don't work.

Job hunting sucks.

19. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22312336

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

8 hours into a 40 hour render, with no UPS and an interview this coming Tuesday. Some might say that's awesome news, but I say I need this render for my portfolio.

Mixed emotions right now, I'm like a hormonal woman on a the titanic that's been asked to back to the kitchen and make appetizers for the band who are already playing waist deep in freezing water. FML