1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Post your speedtest.net scores!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [PUNK] crompers, 26 Aug 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

FTFY :thumb:

2. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I hate you.

However

I dont think i'll envy your Bill.
    How much do you pay per month?

3. perplekks45

Don't shoot the messenger, mate! :eeek:

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

5. JTG06

JTG06 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you've got fibre to the home too then. I recently upgraded to BT Infinity Option 4 (from Option 3) and the top speed I've had so far is:

[​IMG]

But the average is somewhere between 200 and 270Mb/s during peak times, which to be honest, is still bloody good! :clap:

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I want this :(

7. perplekks45

The upload disgusts me. Why is it so hard to get a proper ratio of down:up?

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

With Fibre to the home, it's not difficult to do 1:1 ratios on speed but it all depends on what equipment is at the hub/switch/exchange.

If the ISP has the correct hardware and enough bandwidth in place, then you should get the magic 1:1 ratio but allot of ISP's won't offer that sort of connection to a residential customer and instead, save it for business customers since 99% of residential customers don't need more than 5Mb upload speeds.

The only reason for wanting faster upload speeds that I can think of is, basically torrenting and uploading to youtube, maybe with a bit of cloud storage.

9. perplekks45

There are many more things you could use high upload bandwidth for than just illegal (or legal) downloads.
    And I'm not even talking about 1:1 ratios here. What about 1:5 or just 1:10? 300 down/10 up? They can't be serious!

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

To me, TSB's upload speeds look a bit slow to be honest. I'm on Infinity 2, and I get 78 down and 16 up, which is a perfectly good ratio in my mind. JTG06, seemingly on the same package as TSB is getting 19 up, which is double TSB's. Something 'aint right.

11. justyn07

justyn07 What's a Dremel?

12. Hack'n'Slash

Hack'n'Slash Minimodder

I had the Shub2 installed yesterday by a fantastic tech, the speeds are great but the software on VM's modem/router leaves a lot to be desired so I'll be sticking it in to modem mode & going back to my Linksys/Cisco router until they at least fix the DHCP reservation issues.

[​IMG]

13. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

How are you lot getting such good speeds on infinity? I have option 2 or 3 and only get 9 down and 2 up. Sure, the connection is a lot more stable since changing to infinity but the technician installed a 'line booster' which actually dropped speeds by some 3.5mb/s

14. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

I'm surprised that is Infinity - you must be about 2 miles from your green box at that speed (i'm nearly half a miles away and get 40x10) ... surprised they even offered it to you.

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Are you sure you're on Infinity? That sounds like ADSL...

I get 78/16 because the green box is about 75m from where I live, hence the last hop on copper is a short one. London's fibre boxes are pretty packed in - there's two on my road!

16. mrMonkeyChunks

Well I can see the green box from my window, probs about 50-70m away and i'm about a mile from the exchange itself.

Well I hope we are on infinity, I have the modem and the homehub for it. guess that BT might be mis-advertising it...

Anyways, here is a result from my companies head office

[​IMG]

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Your speeds don't sound right at all. If your fibre box (not the normal telephone box mind) is within sight of your house you should be getting near the full headline speed. Distance from the exchange is fairly irrelevant, as it's only the last hop to your house on copper.

[​IMG]

That's an Infinity result. Max speed is 76/16.

18. mrMonkeyChunks

I just did some googling as to what the BT fibre boxes look like and I dont recall seeing any near the house, just the standard phone boxes.

i assume what BT have don is install the VDSL box on a standard ADSL line (if that even works), because,as you say, the speeds don't seem right at all.

I guess they will be getting a phonecall this weekend then...

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Err, that's impossible? You can't stick a VDSL box on an ADSL line and expect it to work. Different protocols and all that.

What modem do you have installed right now? Is your master socket faceplate deeper than normal? (Mine is just under 7cm, whereas it used to be under 5cm) Most of all, how much are BT charging you?

BT's FTTC boxes normally have a big sticker on them saying "Fibre broadband is here!", and they're also a lot more upright in design than the analogue ones. See the difference between the FTTC one and the one in the background?

[​IMG]

20. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Ph33r my f4rmh0us3 in the middle of nowhere with 2 acres of land L33T.

[​IMG]