1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows CS:GO With 360 Controller?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunnzie, 6 Aug 2013.

1. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

Just thought i would ask do you have the latest drivers for your controller ?

2. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

Yes I do.

3. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

In your opinion!

Clearly the OP has already bought CS:GO and the controller so how is it constructive to tell him he is wasting his time? Surely if it's that bad he will realise pretty quickly when he gets to play.

And for all you know he could be a total weapon with a controller, you'd be surprised what the console kids can do these days......

The OP asked for help and the majority of the responses were not helpful. How can we claim to be the gaming master race if we aren't more accepting than the retards on consoles? :p

(Please done take my last statement too seriously)

4. October

October Mariachi Style

For most games designed to be played with a pad you won't need to mess around, they'll just detect the pad and let you work away. I play Assassins Creed and Batman, and any driving games on my pad and I've never had any issues. As has been mentioned the Steam page for a game will tell you if it supports gamepads.

5. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

Does it though. Steam states that Trackmania has partial gamepad support. I tried it and this just seems to mean that the gamepad doesn't work in menus but works in game. That is fine. CSGO also states partial gamepad support so I assumed the same. However, it is the opposite - it works in menus but not in game.

So Steam's gamepad specs are pointless and can't be trusted.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Its a pity because Valve were making such a fuss over big picture mode, yet never bothered to add proper controller support to their own games. Good idea or not gameplaywise they should still do it as they surely should be promoting their own services (i.e. big picture mode with and joypad compliant games) I doubt it would be that hard to write an update to include proper support with the game.

7. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

9. rollo

rollo Modder

bind "p" "exec controller.cfg; exec config.360.cfg; exec controller.360.cfg"

Press P on keyboard to play with controller is easist fix out there.

or

autoexec.cfg
    bind "p" "exec controller.360.cfg;"
    host_writeconfig

Also a program called Joy to Key can fix certain issues.

All these fixes I personally Tested agaist bots to check they work and they do. I do not know about a player game as we just play 2v2 with m8s.

10. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

Where do I type this? Do I have to do it each time?

11. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Help & Options -> Game Settings -> Enable developer console.
    To open console, press ~.

12. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

Thanks. Do I need to do this every time I play it?

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Pretty much yes.

You could automate the "exec controller.360.cfg" bit by putting that line (without the quotes) at the end of the userconfig.cfg file. I don't know precisely where it's located for CS:GO as I don't have the game, but for i.e. Counter-Strike Source it's located in the cstrike\cfg\ folder. That's probably where it's located for CS:GO as well, that is: <CS:GO>\cstrike\cfg\.

Commands that go into the userconfig.cfg file are executed every time you start the game (and I believe every time the map changes). Should there not be a userconfig.cfg file then create it in the same folder where autoexec.cfg resides. Just create a new text file, open and edit it in Notepad, then rename it to userconfig.cfg.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You should just be able to add it to your autoexec.

I've never messed around with scripts in CS:GO, but I'm assuming they work in a similar way to TF2.

15. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

Where does the autoexec file go?

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Find where you've installed Steam. Inside it is a folder called SteamApps. Inside that is a folder with your username. Inside that you should have the CS:GO folder (as I said I don't know exactly what it's called). Inside that you should have the cstrike folder and inside that the cfg folder. There you should be able to find the autoexec.cfg file. It's not a good idea to modify autoexec.cfg directly, but put your changes in the userconfig.cfg file (create it if it doesn't exist). The reason is that autoexec.cfg may be modified by the game but it will always load the contents of userconfig.cfg if it exists.

17. Gunnzie

Gunnzie What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much. Will try this out later.

18. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

<Steam Dir>\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\cfg
    Or you can add "+exec config.360.cfg" (without quotes) to your launch options (right click on csgo in steam-> properties -> set launch options)

19. October

October Mariachi Style

By your own admission it says partial gamepad support. How does this mean they can't be trusted? If it says full gamepad support then you're good to go, otherwise expect issues.

20. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

just found this being mentioned in the link azreal posted

A quick way to fix this without having to type that every time you first play is to bind a key to that console command. For example:

bind F9 "exec controller.360.cfg"

That way, the F9 key will execute that console command as if you've inputted it manually. Just a heads up incase anyone didn't know.

1. Go to your Steam game Library, right-click on CS:GO on the game list, and click on it's Properties.
    2. Now click on Set Launch Options. Now, type "-console", without the brackets, on the new window. Press OK, and now launch CS:GO.
    3. At the main menu, you'll find a large window full of text. Type in the rectangle below: "bind F11 toggleconsole", without brackets again. Do not skip this step.
    4. Join a game. When you spawn, press F11. This will bring up the console again. Now type "exec controller.360.cfg", without brackets. Return to the game and now your controller should work!