Motors The Bit-Tech F1 2015 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 23 Nov 2014.

1. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I completely forgot that Vettel was in a Ferrari. That was weird to see lol. I do love the paintwork of the Red Bull though.

2. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Personally I think the Red Bull paint scheme is an utter eyesore

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Should've gone for Mountbatten Pink imo....

4. rollo

rollo Modder

They already said it was just for testing ( Red bull Camo). Mercs problem last year was reliability 6 dnfs total from none driver related issues. If the other teams were closer it could of cost them.

The fact Sauber got close to Vettels time suggests as always testing is testing and the timing is irelivent. As I dont think Sauber will be near the front end of the grid come first race of season.

McLaren have suffered as they were always going to do if by end of the first test the best they have done is a sub 10-15 lap run then they might be in trouble. ( Redbull managed similar in the first test last season )

Id expect McLarens problems as always to be Aero related once they have fixed the rest as they have not had the best aero on the grid since Lewis first world drivers title win.

If RBR ever do get the engine up to par with merc we will see how good the aero is as alot thought it was good last year but was never so sure myself as if it was going the same speed as the merc was then surely the aero would of suffered.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

So notes on Testing:

Mercedes is apparently running a stock standard 2014 engine until testing is over, thereby holding on to their tokens as long as possible. This was always going to happen, and that means that ALL Merc-powered teams are in for a performance boost after testing.

I personally hope that RBR doesn't revert back to blue/red/yellow. I LOVE this dazzle camo look, though they would need to tone it down a little bit for actual racing, I presume (after all, judging distances is a little important in F1 racing).

Mercedes' mileage is a good thing. They know the fuel loads they are running, and are going through the motions. As always - testing means nothing in terms of speed, normally. the first qualifying session is where things become clearer.

In terms of reliability, all looks good. I suppose eyes are on McLaren today to see if they manage to put real mileage on their units.
    The other guess is "will Lotus start today"?

7. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

Interestingly, Red bull are doing testing without a front wing!
    [​IMG]

Lotus have also done an installation lap in the E23. There were rumours going around that they wouldn't appear until tomorrow.

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Maybe they're predicting Kyvat losing it on a regular basis :D

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

According to Autosport, Kvyat damaged the wing, so they're now waiting for a new one to arrive.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Oh well, if I remember their young German had a problem with crashing into things to start with.

11. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Let's hope that they have a load of issues with the 2015 engine then!

12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I think its a ploty to save tokens, engine wise they have just evolved what they had last season so the test they can fine tune some of the aero bits and pieces.

Front wing was being shipped from the UK id imagine some very hastly fabbing going on down at RBR to get a new one layered up and sent. Chances are itll be wrapped overnight ready for tomorrow.
    Im suprised more teams dont think "oh lets bring a spare front wing" yes they cost a fair whack but all to often they ping off.

Overall car wise I have to say they all look much nicer than last years OK some interpretations are prettier than others but least they have done away with the phallic attachments.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Autosport has a (premium - paid subscription needed) piece on how finely things get shaved before the launch, all the way to the first race.

You're talking about 3D printing panels, using steel tubing and spray cans rather than an engine at the press release, and simply not having the time needed to finish enough parts.

As for Merc engines. It is 100% a "save tokens" ploy. It has to be obvious that, if they have a 2014 engine that can run competitively, they can use all this year's AND next year's tokens for a unit for next year... it's a matter of timing.

quote from another premium piece on Autosport (by Scarbs):
    I expect everyone to be on the same page in that regard. The Tokens are being used for mind games and mid-season improvements, as far as possible.

14. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I have to admit that I loathed Sebastian Vettel. But now he is in red and seeing the obvious passion he has for Ferrari, I am starting to like him.

I use to swear at the TV when I saw 'the finger', but if I see it this year, I think I will be cheering!

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Cyril Abiteboul, MD of Renault said (interview with Autosport, Premuim subscription required) that Renault has a problem that they already picked up on the Dyno, but too late to fix.
    They call it a "stupid" problem pertaining to some metal rod for the water pump for the ERS cooling.

This is preventing the Renault teams from running long at this test.
    The issue should be fixed by the time teams hit Barcelona.

Also, it looks like Force India will only run the very last test.

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

18. RedFlames

Ferrari being quickest means of 2 things -

They're quick
    or
    The car is a dog and they've posted some quick glory laps to appease the fans back home and deflect attention from it's dog-ness

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Dont think anyone but ferrari have really went for a laptime on low fuel as both vettel and kimi did. Merc look like there cruising around the track in a world of there own.

20. RedFlames

As has been pointed out, AMG could probably shove last years car/engine out there and still win things... So their main focus is on what stopped their total domination last year and that was reliability... as evidenced by Rosberg's silly number of laps on day 1