1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Really not impressed with the 980

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 5 May 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Did that last night.

2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It's possible that by swapping the cards out incorrectly that something's gone wrong (especially since you had multiple cards installed in SLI before) and simply performing a "clean install" wasn't enough to put it right.

I'm reluctant to suggest anything because I think we're firmly in "experimental fault finding" territory now and I don't want to risk making the problem worse, but if it was me, I'd remove the driver, then remove the card in device manager and start over.

Is there anyone physically close-by that can help you? It's so much easier when the PC's in front of you.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am going the Windows reinstall route as it is pretty simple as everything bar the OS and programs are on a SSD so it does not take long. Then if the card is still giving me crap framerates it can go back.

Edit. OS and Programs are on SSD everything else is on a standard in fact two. Time to call it a day I think.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I will post back after the reinstall.

Last edited: 6 May 2015
  4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Great stuff, good luck.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Someone with a similar issue here, found that using Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalling the drivers without geforce experience resolved his issues.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I would recommend a linux live cd first but a total wipe and reinstall also works...

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

To achieve what?

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It would tell us if we're dealing with a hardware issue or a software issue.

9. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Ok Glenn, I've had the 980 up and running and even running it OC'd at 1255MHz (+128MHz) on the GPU and 7800MHz (+395MHz) on the memory with a +25mV bump for stability - after stress testing on both Heaven 4.0 and Heaven Valley 1.0 (Ultra settings) at an ambient room temperature of 21.5°C the 980 in question peaked at 71°C under full load with a custom quiet fan profile.

Erm dunno what else to say mate :sigh:

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Glenn - can you do a heaven 4 run? can post my GTX 980 results for you?

11. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I'll do the same ^^^

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

[​IMG]

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

changed host of picture

14. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

What Heaven settings did you use specifically and I'll run mine up once again?

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

changed picture host so should be clickable and easily readable

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

How though - I'm unaware of any Linux liveCDs that have this sort of benchmark as part of them (and more than happy to be corrected if there are!)

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks guys but with all the faffing about I have done over the hours yesterday afternoon I suspect that a clean install is probably the best way to go as I have maybe made so many adjustments to all sorts of settings and not forgetting the original driver reinstall/clean install which probably kicked off the whole thing.

I will get that done later this morning then run the benchmarks again and post back.

18. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Sure it's not as simple as the wrong V-synch setting, check the V-synch settings in the nvidia control panel.

What is your monitor refresh rate set at because V-sync caps the frame rate of your video card to the refresh rate of your monitor, V-synch can work really well but if it's on the wrong setting it can make a real mess of FPS, if V-synch is turned on, try turning it off and see if it makes a difference, the 'Adaptive V-synch' setting is usually a good setting.

Last edited: 7 May 2015
  19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

OK fresh install compete as yet have not really added any programs. Have run Metro: Last Light and Unigine heaven benchmarks and there has been some improvement.
    See images.

Yesterdays Unigine heaven.
    [​IMG]

Todays Unigine heaven.
    [​IMG]

Todays Metro: Last Light.
    [​IMG]

Your comments are welcome.

20. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Your Unigine tests are at different settings

Also to see minimum framerate dropping even lower is not good. Would you say by playing games the performance is better after the reinstall?

If not could be something odd like the CPU throttling heavily, memory being out of dual channel, or perhaps just plain no reason incompatibility between your Mobo and the new GPU. Test for CPU throttling and memory with CPUz and you can only test the other by borrowing a 980 made by another manufacturer :)