1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD announces R9 300, R9 Fury and R9 Nano cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 16 Jun 2015.

1. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

The itx 970 is a 145W card and comparable performance to the 290X, will be interesting to see how much differs in price/performance of the nano.

2. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

2x G-Sync monitors as well ... :waah:

Are AMD cards able to make use of G-Sync?
    And if not will they in the future?
    Also I heard that FreeSync was not as good as G-Sync, is that still the case? Or ever was?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No.
    Very unlikely.
    Yes and yes, although if you have the GPU grunt to stay above 35FPS then it's less likely to be noticeable.

4. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

They've done a roundup of freesync and g-sync monitors in the latest CustomPC magazine and explained the differences between the two and the future direction of synchronised monitors. You might find it interesting, I did.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

apparently its a 275w card - we might even see a locked down furyx with 1 power connector oO

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They have changed the wording then? At the reveal they said it "typically" consumes 275W.

It also seems odd that they say the power design can deliver 400W as the maximum you can get from the PCI-E lane combined with two 8pin connectors is 375W (afaik).

7. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Thats good news because i bought the latest copy but not found time to read it yet. Thanks for heads-up.

8. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

It means you can be running max power through the PCIe and 8-pins, without having the cards power circuitry at max capacity, no? Just means there'll always be an overhead so you can max it out with no worries about the card being damaged.. That's what I got from that anyways!

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If that was the reason they said it has a 400W power design then I would agree, but what Harlequin quoted mentions it in reference to its overclocking potential.

It's like saying my car has tires on it with a speed rating of 150Mph when it only does 100Mph, seems a little misleading to me.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Be for people who mess around with extreme overclocking. Those sorts of people will add on extra power cables. Knowing the card can take 400 watts saves them a step.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

They break the PCIe spec, look at the 295.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

IF

AMD have gone for the single GPU crown , then I could see somelike like sapphire putting out a bleeding edge max edition with 50% increase in clocks- possibly on a stock card.

13. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Aw, thanks :D

Also, I did some Fury X testing today, and [REDACTED]

David likes this.
  14. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Dogbert, you tease!

But I'm really interested in the possibility of the FuryX: MAX Edition with the big OC! Also, really wanna know the pricing of the Nano! Seems like the perfect ITX card, plus EK is making a waterblock for it apparently..

15. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

Any word on dimensions yet? (Both of the card and the cooler).

Even the Fury X looks shorter than a 290 or 980.

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

17. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

These cards look awesome. I just hope they perform aswell as they look.

18. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

AMD Fury range doesn't support HDMI 2.0?
    A snip from a Hexit article i've read.. Seems like this new flagship card isn't that up to date already!

No HDMI 2.0, and also no DP 1.3 (Which can output HDMI 2.0 in dual-mode) present on the card.. Is they something a 3rd-party could implement if they wanted? Or is it limited by the other hardware? (Not too sure on this..)

19. rollo

rollo Modder

No 3rd party could add in hdmi 2.0 or dp 1.3 as there is more hardware to it than simply changing the ports. It would be alot of work for no benefit to most.

Id also think there duel gpu card will ship with DP 1.3 included for the true high end. Fury x will not need DP 1.3 simply because it will not be powerful enough to run anything that would require dp 1.3. DP 1.3 is effectively 8k resolution or 5k uhd, No GPU will get anywhere near playable fps in most titles at that point.

It would also need to be 2.0a for HDR. ( HDMI)

1.2a natively supports freesync which is what AMD wants you to be using id imagine is there main recommendation for 1.2a.

1.3 would be mostly irelivent due to the lack of 1.3 compatible displays. ( Is there any at this point that is native 1.3? )

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

After seeing performance of the recycled 3xx series I really hope for AMD to pull a rabbit out of their hat with the Fury cards. Especially in the power consumption department I was disappointed by the 3xx.

But, to be honest, what else would you expect from re-branded old chips? It's not like they magically need less power for the same performance just because you stick a new name on them. Fury cards should make some (massive?) power savings given their architecture. Fingers crossed.

Tags: Add Tags