1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - *gollum*/10

I'd forgotten how ropey the CGI was in places, it's way too long and even the action-y bits seem to drag on. You could probably cut 30-60 minutes out of the film and not notice...

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

You could cut a whole movie from the three and not notice. In fact it would probably be better!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well cutting 30-60 from each movie would amount to a whole film...

Just because you can drag it out over 9 hours doesn't mean you have to...

4. Xir

Xir Modder

No?

I thought the General Idea these days was: We've got content for two movies, let's make it a trilogy, and when the first two perform well, let's split the last one in two parts do drag it out even further and MILK THAT COW!

Speaking of which:

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay (Part 1) 6/10

So to sum up the series so far, see trilogy-explanation above, movie one and two are essentially the same, and this third movie...I don't think it needed splitting up.

Anyway, the low score results stem from very boring patches where nothing happens.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Grand Budapest Hotel
    5/10
    How to win at Rotten Tomatoes: Make an ultimately pointless film about a fictional guy's life, cast a whole list of superstar actors, have a director that can do things with a bit of flair.
    Ultimately, MEH.

Dead Snow: Red vs Dead
    8/10
    It's part 2, so qatch Dead Snow first. That said, Nazi-zombies vs Russian Zombies, tanks, Star wars girl? Count me in!

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Jurrasic Park 9/10

Overall good and what I expected. Much more dino on dino action than the last ones some nods back to the original just some annoyingly cheesey moments
    Also the Idioticrex. Some moments it was super smart others totally stupid. And the amount of product placement was annoying
    I did expect Chris Pratt/Owen to break out into some random 80's dance off but it never happened.

7. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

Mortdecai
    8/10
    Didnt really know who was in it or what it was about. Turned out to be an really funny film!!!! Johnny Depp as always playing his part perfectly. Never really though much of Gwyneth Paltrow but she seemed ok. Recommend to anyone who likes stupid/funny films (wasnt sure how to word it)

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Mammuth 4/10

Actually starts out quite well, Gerard Depardieu as a not-too-bright pensioner who has to go to all the workplaces of his youth to collect some-forms for his pension.
    Does so an a mammuth-motorcycle.
    Starts out as a comedy (and what a great comedy it could have been) only to then turn into a drama, oh no, wait, we want to be a comedy again.
    The idea was great, some of the characters are fantastic,a few scenes outright funny.
    But overall it was hard to bear and a bit boring in between

9. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

I watched that a few weeks ago, I'm not too sure what I thought of it. It was a bit jumpy in parts but the child was annoying me :/

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sounds WAY better than his appearance as Jules Rimet in the FIFA self-love movie.

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Paul Bettany stole the film for me. The bits he was involved in were 10x funnier than any of the rest.

12. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

San Andreas 9/10
    The Rock doth rock, when the rocks rocketh. :)

13. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Jurassic Park World: 6/10

Unfortunately I got just what I expected: Better CGI, huger sets, a greater park and an even bigger and more unrealistic predator dinosaur.

They lost the magic somewhere along the line.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2015
  14. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Gasgoine 8/10

Its a wonder the bloke is as sane as he is given some of the crap he has gone through. Daily Mirror has a lot to answer for.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Interstellar - transcends numerical assessment

This film is simply a masterpiece, and I was not expecting it, at all. Yes, I was told it was great, but it's just what kind of great that I didn't expect.

There's perhaps the odd moment where I thought "hmm, hokey", but I really didn't feel it detracted from the film as a whole one iota. So many feels, just as well it spreads them over nearly three hours.

I feel I now need to watch something like Anchorman, just to reset my feel-o-meter.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Jurassic World 7/10

We took the kids to see it last night. It was enjoyable but entirely predictable - even my nine year old son said
    "I was waiting for that giant fish dinosaur to turn up and end it". It was painfully obvious the new dino was going to be part raptor too, from the moment they made a point of not telling people; and you could tick off exactly which characters were doomed, within in the first ten minutes.

BTW I want a car windscreen made from the same glass as those sphere-mobile things! Did you see it? It was trundling through muck and grass and dino poop but not a single frikkin smear!

Still, the whole family enjoyed it - it didn't get boring and the action barely lets up. Just don't go in expecting a masterpiece. ;)

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Mad Max - Fury Road - Pure insanity/10

It was loud and flashy, insane and incomprehensible, but also cool, quite depressing and rather pretty at times. Story ... what story? You need a story?

18. Sweet Pearl

Sweet Pearl Banned

Hi, I have seen "Jurassic World" lately and I find it good just like the "Jurassic Park". You have to see it guys:)

19. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Mad Max: Fury Road - 10/10

This movie is impossibly good. The gore is more implied than actually shown. It's a movie about sex slaves without a rape scene. All of the characters feel like they're real, have a place in the world, and their own story, even most of the extras. The ensemble cast all has their moment to shine, grow, express their own fears and wants.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Jurassic World
    Dinos/10
    I could go on and do a more serious review here, but I'll say that I was expecting to hate it, and LOVED it.
    Yes, there's running in heels, logic defying elements and WTF moments. BUT - there's also moments that made me absolutely feel like I was 10 years old again. I laughed, I sighed, I marvelled at Dinosaurs.

It's also the ONLY movie i have seen so far that makes me believe in 3D tech.