1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Your hot on my tail! Mine has also arrived at LEIPZIG - GERMANY with a time of 14:10. Guess our Vives are travelling companions for the journey! :D

Not too keen on the DynaSun stands as they use buckle clips to secure the extension. Not as good as the screw key on the stands I linked. Doubt it makes a significant difference since the Base Stations are supposed to be quite light but for heavier attachments mounted to the tripod it could cause issues.

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

New work done.

The fun stuff.

This is one heck of an experience on dk2, really looking forward to this with hotas on cv1/vive june.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

My Vive has now touched down in the East Midlands at 19:32!

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Did you get your Your Vive PreOrder Bundle Code? like email below?

[​IMG]

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Not had a code e-mailed yet! :sigh:

You received yours?

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Scratch that, just checked and my code has been e-mailed. All is well! :D

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So far I have the below list of software installed to trial in the Vive...

- Elite Dangerous
    - 3D Mark
    - Tilt Brush
    - BigScreen Beta
    - Fantastic Contraption
    - Job Simulator
    - The Lab
    - SteamVR Performance Test
    - SteamVR (Assume this is the Basic Vive OS of sorts!)

Any other recommendations?

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

hoover junkies out yet?
    space pirate.
    get the Apollo demo
    dcs has vive support?

the forum needs a helpful VR games list top ten and suitable platform display, I guess we can try to put one together, ill have both techs so should get to test every thing and do top 10, your looking at project cars being in there, elite, then there are the short experiences. Demos.

like going back to the c64 days with the 8bit demos from demo groups, but for the VR short demos showing the possibility's.

early days now, we will have cool stuff to play but not huge amount?

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

These are not all 'recommendations' but some thoughts you might find useful.

IOMoon - Been playing it this weekend, really fun exploration game - not hugely deep or challenging but a kinda cool game that is fun as an introduction to VR. Comfort levels are reasonable - but not perfect (ie: if you are prone to VR sickness you might feel ill after an hour or so). Feels like this could be a great all round game when finished.

Blaze Rush - "oh but Parge, that is just a crappy micro machines ripoff". Yes - but its AMAZINGLY good in VR - far more fun than it has any right to be.

Jaunt VR - Just movies - most of the stuff filmed with cameras is pretty rubbish, but this is worth downloading for the 'Invasion' animated movie alone. Plus its free.

The Blu - excellent VR 'experience' and great to demo to family and friends. Not a game per se, but pretty awesome none the less.

Adr1ft - Not for the faint of stomach. Not only are you going to have to find your VR legs but also become accustomed to 'space adaption syndrome' - the game itself is pretty average - and there are some questionable design elements (you aren't led through the game very well at all, meaning you quite frequently get lost, which is quite frustrating) - BUT there are some incredible moments to be found, floating between destroyed space stations, littered with debris with planet earth looming in your peripheral vision. Its also absolutely GORGEOUS.

I won't go into Luckys Tale or Chronos because their Rift games, but if they develop a hack definitely worth picking up.

DCS - Rainbowbridge LOVES this one and he's going to love it even more in VR. Essentially I feel like if you already enjoy this game, then VR is going to make it balls to the wall incredible. Great sense of presence, but I'd almost say its better to learn out of VR then jump in because its very, very in depth. I've been playing it at a friends house mostly with one of us reading the flight manuals etc to help the other one get going. More fun that it sounds!

Technolust - part game, part interactive story. Great atmosphere, and some mind bending mini games. I feel like this needs a bigger dev to pick it up and make it into a full AAA game. Enjoyable for sure, but not sure if its worth £15. Maybe £5?

Project CARS - if you like driving games and have a wheel this is absolutely awesome. I don't really like driving games and don't have a wheel - and its still loads of fun. Frequently found for £15 around the web.

More games here but beware, a lot of shovelware and few AAA experiences.

Really though mate, its all about getting Elite setup right. That game is where its at right now, the absolute apex of VR experiences.

• Joystick (doesn't have to be HOTAS, I use Warthog stick and Razer Orbweaver instead of a throttle).
    • Voice Attack is absolutely essential and maybe one of the HCS voicepacks,
    • A buttkicker (or DIY equivalent, see sig)
    • Use Elite HUD Manager to change HUD colours to a deep green, which works better on the Rift/Vive panel.
    • Turn off the in game music (which is great in fairness) and crank up my Electro Synth playlist and you are there my friend.

I can be in a hanger, open the UI just by looking left at it. Selecting the galaxy map, I find a destination, and just say 'close galaxy map' and I'm back in my cockpit. Hit launch, and rise up, watching sun beams flaring around a colossal planet to my left. Pulling away from the planet and say 'retract landing gear', before heeding round to my escape vector and say 'prep the frameshift drive' as the ships computer replies 'frameshift drive charging'. My ships computer says 'Ready to engage' and I reply 'Make the jump' before accelerating into hyperspace. It is AWESOME! :rock:

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Parge, how are you managing to use the but kicker along with elite?

I have found that sim commander has a limited games support list, and then its not possible to use the butt kicker with non supported games, so war thunder for example, there is no option.

Unless you set up some kind of low by pass filter into the butt kicker amp?

Is there an Elite butt kicker enable routine? that would be really some thing.

Because there are going to be a few of us with the VR tech and a person can only do so much we should def set up a share point for stuff to try, up coming list?

VR news is going to be some of the most prolific.

One thing about elite and VR, its so good its almost worth the price of the headset equipment just for this one game, isn't it. Its was a great vision in the dk2,

11. Parge

Easy, if you go into Steam VR settings, there is an option to mirror audio to another device. I just mirror it to my motherboard sound card which is connected to my buttkicker.

I then have a passive low pass filter between the card and my amp.

[​IMG]

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks for the tips rainbowbridge, Hover Junkers looks like fun. Have you seen Arizona Sunshine?

Proper 'Room Scale' VR game! Not sure I have enough space for that one! :D

Thanks for the tip, it does look fun!

Had forgotten about that one. Think I'm going to have to buy a Steam Wallet card!

That looks really good but alas it's Oculus only at the time of writing. Not sure if they have a Vive version planned?

Haven't played Elite in months. Be interesting to see the changes and of course the seated VR experience. Have a Thrustmaster T-16000M that I swear by; actually have an Orbweaver as well but not yet properly used it in any game. Worth some exploration for VR me thinks!

13. Parge

If you've not played Elite in the VR before, you are going to have kittens when you first jump in. :thumb:

14. Jhill

Jhill What's a Dremel?

I love Elite, now I to save another $400 to buy the rift or a bit more for the HTC
    not decided on the one to get :rolleyes:

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

https://www.wearvr.com/

Above site is meant to be for listing of top downloads, has a helpful device filter at the top. expect it is not complete of every thing, a nice bookmark?

hope to do some pictures tomorrow, wait for one bus and several come along at the same time

Has to be said a big credit to steam and vive for getting out a top quality device along with controlers, and a nice open attitude about support on steam, that is steam supports oculus, but I think at this time Oculus home doesn't support vive?

It would be interesting to see how things play out if HTC is open and MORE aggressive about product updates.

That is to say, if HTC decided to leave Oculus behind and develop on a regular cycle improved VR HUD (which kept backwards compatablity for previous apps).

I would go HTC if once a year a much better new headset came out, some kind of trade in possibility?

steam should just include with the htc vive a golden voucher for $200 for steam game purchases and really start to intice people towards vive in smart and inotive ways, htc dropping 100million towards VR recently is good start that's for sure.

Fundamentially people playing with rift or vive should be able to play with each other online and have fun, I'm not sure if at this time that is possible unless the player goes steam?

why would any one lock themselves into Oculus home at this time?

this time tomorrow night things should be a little clearer for me,

16. Parge

Here's the HUD colour scheme I'm currently using. Green as primary, then yellow and purple as secondary. So much clearer than using the standard hud.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Is this option built into Elite now or is it still necessary to fiddle with ini files?

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Any way to have it generate anew colour scheme each time you fly?
    Id pay $10 for that macro script.

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

One game that I haven't seen much mention of is Void 21. Little hovership drives very fast while you dodge stationary and moving things. It's a simple premise, but extremely well polished (e.g. little touches like the 'thwomper' alternating barriers will slow their descent as you are just passing under them to avoid penalising you from picking the 'wrong' aperture just as they swap locations when not visible to you). I'm pretty prone to sim-sickness, but for a game with high-speed movement and no cockpit it was very comfortable. Likely due to the very stable horizon and minimal acceleration (you can go very fast, or slightly less very fast).
    It's Oculus-only for the moment, but will supposedly get a Vive version once their devkit arrives. Not bad at all of £8. I thought I'd give it a quick go, and ended up spending an hour of just-one-more-level-ing.

::EDIT:: You can test out Elite HUD schemes here, which gives you an image preview and a copy-and-paste-able code snippet. I personally like to put ~25% green into each channel, which takes advantage of the finer resolution of the green channel without losing the identifiable UI element colours.

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Vive got signed for first here, rift out at 7:45am for delivery from tracking. I'm going to have to get a cab home, that's going to be £40 w1 to nw9

have a bounce in my step about my work today :), sure you want me to clean out the toilet, no problem, move a photo copier, no issue, cook for 20, bring it on

I don't really have any one game I almost looking forward to seeing but just to see, understand what oculas decided was their vision, all the while back from that cinema app for the dk1, the promise about this, going to see this next step.

Do we see SLI for VR in the next 12 months ?