1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

[​IMG]

Same, I didn't need to sign up, it just lists it now.

Scheduled Delivery:
    Tuesday, 05/03/2016, By End of Day

Last Location:
    Eindhoven, Netherlands, Thursday, 04/28/2016

Shipment Category: Package
    Shipped/Billed On:04/28/2016
    Weight:5.70 kgs

I need a couple of evenings with it to understand its capability's, I think DCS with full candy running off a 980ti is a solid test.

What ill do is start at high or decent settings draw distances etc, find out how to do a FPS or benchmark it, then smash it for six with absolute max.

I wounder how Oculus Runtime deals with too demanding a request from a game / app, keeping 90fps or can it drop to lower fps?

I guess in theory it would be helpful to have a elite dangerous type shaders test run at the start of all VR games and auto set to allow for 90fps, ran once and settings kept, unless of a hardware change then run again.

helpful auto setting up to provide soild 90fps is a good idea?

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Departure scam 4am Nederland
    Arrival scan 10:20am barking

Barking? The hecks in barking other than lots of k9?

Barking has own airport?

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Nearest airport is London City.

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

For ref I checked ups, option is not there for our packages to get upgrade to tomorrow (sat) delivery. Guess there is a uk sorting process to complete.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

iOMoon is One of the Most Visually Stunning VR Games I've Played in a Long Time!

As the title says iOMoon is absolutely stunning! This game is a perfect fit for VR. The graphics and lighting are some of the best I've seen in a long while, and the positional audio and overall sound quality is amazing! I remember starting to see videos of this games concept all the way back in my DK1 days and couldn't wait to play it back then, but it never released as a demo or on Oculus Share... Now I'm really glad Headtrip Games waited for the CV1 because I couldn't imagine playing it any other way. This is one of those games you must see in VR! The game has released into early access on Steam so head over to the link at the bottom of this description and grab a copy of this one if you have a Rift. I believe it is also coming to the Vive soon as well.

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

edzieba do you think any 3rd party vendor or Oculus themselves will resolve the god rays issue. redesign of lens?

Is it currently understood what causes the god rays issue and any steps in progress to put fix in?

How come Dk2 did not have god rays then the cv1 has it?

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Impressive from Microsoft, credit where its due.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just got confirmation that my Vive will be delivered on Tuesday! :D

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Also just got those two emails, DHL first then HTC after.

Looks like HTC has its op in Czech Reppublic

SENDER : DHL Express (CzechRepublic) s.r.o.

WEIGHT: 10
    PIECES: 1
    CONTENTS: VIVE VR set - NOT RESTRICTED

Looks like next week is VR week for us
    I need to think about ordering those light house tripods. #

Will be interesting to compare side by side.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Here's the shopping list I went for in the end with links...

x2 Adjustable tripod stands for Vive Base Stations.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-7ft-ph...302586?hash=item1e8f4e753a:g:yJwAAOSwjVVVzVv0

x2 Mounts to attach and angle Vive Base Stations to adjustable tripod stands (come as a pair below).
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KFZXKHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x2 DC Extension Cable 2 Metres in length.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HHCCICW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x2 DC inline switch, because HTC forgot to include an off button on the Vive Base Stations!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010M8UBW6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did a great deal of research and believe the list of items above is essential for room scale VR. All comes to £36.05 in total; drop in the ocean compared to outlay for the Vive itself! Obviously depending on the mains power socket location in your room of choice, it might be necessary to go for a longer DC Extension Cable!

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The flaring artefact is due to the use of fresnel lenses, and how fresnel lenses work (effectively an array of prisms). DK1/DK2 did not use fresnel lenses, so did not have that particular artefact (instead had off-axis focus issues, low lens power, small sweet spot, terrible eye-relief, etc). Pitch and number of fresnel prisms will determine magnitude and shape of the artefact. Routes to reducing the artefact would be antireflective coatings, additional lens layers, screen-plane lenses, higher refractive index materials (at this point the same form factor would require metamaterials though, singlet or doublet lenses would be unable to achieve the same focal length without having an exit pupil too small to actually use), or alternative optics (e.g. relfective optics), etc.

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

thanks, Blogins
    edzieba interesting,

looks like we are going to get some great western type shoot out simulators, cowboys and Indians could become one of most awesome games with horse back arrow shooting the long lost art making a come back?

Last edited: 30 Apr 2016
  13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Mental levels of knowledge.

What is it you do Edzieba?

14. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

There are people that are good, and they study a subject and then work it professional. But after work that's enough,

Then you get a very short supply of special Dudes that work an area professionally but also continue with most of left over emerges to dig and expand. I know a guy called vid, he Is easily one of the best of the best in network/sec, he is simply breath taking, he would own a ccie if he had the time out of production.

For all of life's disappointment that can happen, the middle path and gradual application of mind does get rewarded with the beauty full unfolding of knowledge, then I guess into wisdom, then can come about the most important charity.

I think edz is a master in this topic with charity, so hopefully we get to all talk about VR more.
    :cooldude:we get to see how fascinating the market develops. Whole nice new area opening up taking advantage of all the awesome we have today in community's, it maybe there is helpful migration to more connected informed and content students and masters alike today and tomorrow.

Looking forward to buying online in VR.

I don't just want to play games online but progress in my own path about knowledge, inspecting historically accurate renditions of objects in VR socially with others and a teacher would be nice. my grandfather who I never met was the lead teacher to the machincs that serviced the merlin spitfire engine during ww2, i think VR can help people get closer to beneficial time.

VR is going to enable a whole bunch of good, the younger generation has a limitless energy for the boundless development of human development in all it areas and VR is really going to enable a valuable fresh whiteboard of the highest order.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You'll have to excuse me from reading the first 84 pages of this thread. However, I am finally making the switch (or at least I think I am ) from Blackberry to a regular sort of 5.5" Android phone. It's a pretty punchy little number too, so now I am thinking about getting a headset for use with it.

I am looking primarily at one called a Freefly after reading a few reviews. It costs around £45 it seems. What I want to do the most is use some sort of cinema app so I can watch films lying in bed with headphones on. What is the best app? like, the most realistic looking cinema and can I lock the screen so that I can lie down?

I am still adamant that I am not going to spend £700 on something I may not like, so this may be the best way to test a few things. The roller coaster looks good too, any one got any reccs for a parachute experience? or a bungy jump? these are all things I don't do IRL and are on my bucket list (even though if I were dying I would still be too scared to actually do any of it).

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Boring IT support. VR is an interest/hobby, though built on a foundation of degree-level study.
    Quitting to go full VR startup would be nice, but my background is in hardware, so I don't have the funds to build the proof-of-concept prototype to petition for VC funds to build functional prototypes to petition for investment to build production prototypes. Don't have the programming chops to go the software route
    If you have a recent Samsung phone (Galaxy S7 or S6, Note 5 or Note 4) then a GearVR is a no-question purchase. If you have any other Android phone, then it's really not worth getting anything more than the absolute most basic Cardboard viewer available (every smartphone HMD case other than GearVR is just Google Cardboard). Cardboard is not limited by the optics or shell of the HMD case, but by limitations of Android (access to the front buffer for low latency rendering, internal IMUs being awful, etc) and phone hardware (lack of low-persistance display driving modes). Cardboard will also not give you a good impression of what a PC-connected VR HMD will be able to do.

17. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Current HTC trail...

[​IMG]

Between PRAGUE & LEIPZIG with those timings any guess on the transportation method, train could do that or plane only?

[​IMG]
    Lamb dhl.

Tuesday is going to as much as I can eat/carry VR day.

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

This looks amazing fun, impressive.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've considered just getting the cardboard lump but it's not going to be comfortable enough. I'm not ready to go to anything expensive yet. I want the market to settle and I want the winner. Last thing I want to do is risk £700 on something that could become a paperweight within a year.

I'm aware that Android and so on is limited but I know exactly what I'm after having spent a few hours on Youtube etc today. This, for example.

[​IMG]

Is £16 with the controller (though I have a couple of bluetooths already). I want to use it in bed when my wife is asleep (and I can't, common for me) just to watch movies on. So it needs to be comfy. Any way, having seen the reaction of a few people using the above headset I will order one soon :) The light from the TV keeps my wife awake as does the noise.

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Just to keep all the orders with amazon I went with this?
    Worth to upgrade the shopping list to this for the vive stands?

All ordered but changed the light stands to..

DynaSun 2x W803 220cm 7.2ft Professional Kit Stand Lighting for Light Flash Lighting Studio Photo, Video and Photography

DynaSun 2x W803 220cm 7.2ft Professional Kit Stand Lighting for Light Flash Lighting Studio Photo, Video and Photography £16.00 + £3.00 UK delivery

[​IMG]