1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Can I also contribute that GPU overclocking is dependant on game title to game title - some games will throw a hissy fit with just a minor GPU overclock so therefore irrespective of how high any card can clock in a benchmark environment, if it can't be run overclocked in a prolonged gaming session it's as much use a a chocolate fire guard.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I`ll swap my gtx 980 for your titanx - then you can get a big upgrade when you get a 1080ti :D

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's nonsense ! I will use the Firestrike thread on OCUK as an example. Did you personally use and test all of the cards in the chart? of course you didn't !

If a game runs a set routine and standard benchmark that's what it's for ! to compare your system with others.

I could quite easily put this back on you and say you don't have a Titan X to test. At least I do and can test it. You're just going on reviews which do not OC the Titan X.

So what you are saying is that pretty much every set benchmark (be it via synthetic or as part of a game) can not be compared because they are running on other systems.

So they're a big waste of time then according to you and should never be used legitimately.

Please don't use the OCUK "jusfity" card on me. This has nothing to do with justification and everything to do with comparing technology. I am comparing my overclocked Titan X to the 1080. You're not and you can't because you sold yours when you panicked a few weeks ago.

So you go and buy a 1080 (it's you trying to justify things here any way) and stop bothering me with your nonsense.

Cheers.

I usually find that benchmarks allow the highest clocks. All apart from Heaven, which won't even run on my machine without crashing no matter what the clocks. However, the proof is in the pudding and after around ten hours in Fallout 4 and four hours of me playing Tomb Raider I have had no crashes and maximum temps with the card at 1414mhz were about 60c. I have the hybrid cooler of course which would normally cost you another hundred quid on top of the GPU, or, about the same if you bought it built (the 1080 Hybrid for example is £689 on OCUK so £164 more expensive than a 1080 with a low end cooler on).

The problem with the 1080 is throttling, dependent on fan speed and so on. It can barely manage to stay above 2ghz when used for a while and that's why I am not having the review benchmarks. They are comparing a card that has been running for a couple of minutes against a stock Titan X.

If you think that is agreeable then great ! however in real life it's a much bigger problem. I just saw another video of that guy who did the hybrid test trying to overclock a 1080 gaming X (MSI). He could just about manage 2050mhz. And that was short term. The video was only a few minutes long.

So basically the card throttles as we know. It also refuses to go anywhere near 2.1ghz no matter what cooling solution it has slapped on it nor how many power connectors it has.

It was said before the FE reviews that the cards handed out by Nvidia were cherry picked. Obviously I can't prove that, but from all of the real world evidence I have seen the card basically stinks for overclocking. 75mhz if you are using a MSI gaming X.

Any way what I think doesn't matter really. Well, only to me. So there's really no point in arguing over it because I am not going to change my mind.

Here we go, from the Guru3d review here -

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_gaming_x_8g_review,38.html

And most specifically.

The Boost clock will now render at roughly 1950~2067 MHz depending on the power and temperature signature. The GPU will continuously be dynamically altered on voltage and clock frequency to match the power and temperature targets versus the increased core clock. In FireStrike we are now hovering at the 2 GHz marker on the Boost frequency for example, but some games jumped to roughly 2.1 GHz one second and dipped below 2 GHz the other.

So this custom card can barely hold 2ghz. All of the reviews of the FE the stock card clocked higher than that.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2016
  4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Crap overclocking but when the clocks are already high... Verdict is a good upgrade if u need that GPU power (I do for VR).

I'm not gonna buy a 1080 now... I will wait and maybe get a 1070 or get a higher clocked 1080 later.

5. Vault-Tec

The 1070 is definitely the card to have. I know that it's slower than the 1080 and there's no making that up this time around but the price per performance actually makes the most sense here.

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

That is what you are doing. Comparing systems. Not graphics cards. Systems. How can you compare two different systems, with different hardware, OS configurations and programs running on them, and then say "oh well, clearly my Titan X is only 4% slower than a 1080.

You need a 1080 and a Titan X in the same system, to make a fair comparison. Does this finally make sense?

The reviews which I have read, from reputable tech sources, comparing the Titan X to the 1080 in the same system, contradict your speculative findings (assertions).

I'm not necessarily trying to justify anything. I have not got a 1080. I simply see you posting speculative and contradictory (in terms of the tech press) figures, and it was starting to grate. Especially as I think you are being prejudiced. There are people that may use what you say to make poor choices. Like buy a Titan X when the 1070 looks to be cheaper while having equivalent performance.

I carefully considered my options, 3 weeks before the Nvidia event. It took me several days to sort out my computer when I had the time, and I ended up getting top, secondhand price for my cards. Not what I call a panic, really.

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Sounds like a smart move. Selling a titan x for good money before the general public know whats round the corner.

Vault-Tec, are you AlienwareAndy with a new account?

David likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

It's funny you say that. See, when I look around (for real users not reviewers) all I find is this, which totally seems to back up my findings. In fact, Tomb Raider seems to fare the worst out of all of the games benched on the cards.

OK? so there is about 1-10% in it depending on games. If you still had your Titan X you could benchmark it/them and you would find the same thing.

I am not really that impressed with the 1080 at all. I think Nvidia and reviewers make it look far better than it really is. As they often do.

The 1070 is the card to buy. You will lose some performance between going from Titan X (SLi IIRC?) but you can pocket the rest of the cash. And you are trying to justify buying Pascal dude. You're arguing with practically everything I have discovered when benching a Titan X OC against a 1080. Why? why don't you believe me?

So you are either being deliberately awkward or you are calling me a liar.

Whatever way you put it you panic sold your cards. If it didn't matter to you you'd have kept them and not cared about losing money. TBH? by buying any Nvidia card with Titan written on it you don't care about money. Not that you would have loads of cash just lying around but that you wouldn't care about losing it.

TBH I bought a Titan X because I needed a card there and then. I didn't care about losing money on it because tbh every penny I spend on a PC is basically a write off any way. You always lose money and even when you do recuperate some of it you always lose in the long run.

Titan X could possibly be the last time I spend a significant amount on a GPU. All I seem to do these days is listen to music and buy headphones with the odd bit of gaming here and there (an hour or two every day, sometimes nothing).

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

*cough* swap my GTX 980 for your titanx *cough*

10. Dorset Yid

Dorset Yid What's a Dremel?

I've just purchased an Ultrawide 34" Samsung Monitor Resolution 3440x1440 and am after a GPU upgrade from my 760 which wont be up to it
    Would a 1070 cut it or would I be better I have to save for a few more months for a 1080?

11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Wait for the dust to settle on the 1070 first. Give it a few weeks after there in people's hands before investing your self

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

If the 1070 is roughly equivalent to a 980Ti then it'll be fine. I run the same resolution.

13. Vault-Tec

It is yes. Which is good. Has more VRAM too :)

14. Dorset Yid

Dorset Yid What's a Dremel?

Nice one cheers :thumb:

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I am smashing it around nord in every thing, personal fav it is, skyline, but any way the point of my post is.

As hard as you can push from a technology perspe3citve.

we will always be here.

put me real around nord in a skyline and im golden.

16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think you're thinking of AMDy, but yeh, if it's not the same person I think we should get them together. They'd make a great couple.

Also they might just be hungry for goats.

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I dislike these debates that turn into quoting matches. It becomes more about one person trying to be more right than the other, rather than the truth of the situation or thing you are trying to discuss.

What I care about is how much faster an overclocked 1080 is, compared with an overclocked Titan X or 980ti. VT says 10%, at best. Which is unsubstantiated apart from system comparisons on firestrike; while a whole bunch of review sites paint a different picture (30% at stock, which by my reckoning should remain consistent when you overclock give or take a few % accounting for the heat and clock speed differences).

I don't remember alienware andy much, did he get banned?

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ah my mistake. AMDy was the nickname we gave to AlienwareAndy. And yeh he got banned. Big time! lol

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

AlienwareAndy who is stricking me as the same person as vault, got banned permanently in 2013. The similarities are to close.