1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'v only bothered our render farm and when working on other peoples machines

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You don't want to clone drives for a render farm, you want to boot 'em off TFTP. That way you only have a central image to update, not each individual machine in the cluster.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Unfortunately I inherited the project half done and I also have no experience with TFTP. Network boot is the way I would do it if I were to set it up myself although with some of the stuff it does I'm not sure if it would work properly.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Network boot is TFTP - it's how the network boot program hits the PXE host.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Plus, if you have a fancy M.2 to USB 3.0 drive... the install is even faster. It takes longer to go through that configuration for the name and such than it does to install.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ice hockey lad are ya?

For fun or professionally? The lass's dad has been an ice hockey coach for years, not in the UK mind.

7. MLyons

I gathered that from quick google. Just saying it's how I would of done it had I been the one that started the project instead of inheriting it.

8. adidan

Aye, i've used it just the once and it worked a treat moving my lass's stuff over when i swapped her laptop hdd for an ssd.

There was a lenovo partition that caused issues that i didn't fancy wasting time on - a fresh install with the attached windows didn't work straight away and acronis just copied the whole drive no issues and worked a treat.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Definitely just for fun. I'm way too old and frail now to start playing at a higher level.

adidan likes this.
  10. adidan

:)

I understand, take a body check and hospital is more likely now than a little glove fight?

My lass's dad is saying pretty much the same thing about coaching now, only coaches at a much lower less stressful level :D

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It's not so much the immediate repercussions I have an issue with (but I'm sure in time that will come) - I can (and do) take and receive a hit with the best of them and play on. It's the next few days that give me issues. My left butt cheek is just about feeling better after having my legs taken out from under me last week and landing squarely on it at speed, just in time for being back out on the ice tonight.

12. adidan

I hear you. Yeah it's the recovery time that seems to get worse with age rather than the actual activity.

No matter what people say, or how much we try to convince ourselves, getting old is not fun.

Bodies are so badly designed, i'm just hoping cell rejuvinating pills come along before i'm too far gone :)

13. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Same, I say I'm going to have a system dedicated to a Linux distro, install it, have a dabble as it were then find I much preferred that system on Windows and then end up wiping the drive and doing a fresh windows install, because well like you, life gets in the way. I did read somewhere that Linux was reported to be easier to use than Windows somewhere.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I used to have a totally separate linux machine for the purpose of learning it - Thing of it is, I just never used it.

I've installed Penguin on my work laptop as the primary OS. It's forced the issue, and I'm a lot more comfortable with it, although still no idea what I'm doing.

15. Gareth Halfacree

I've been using Linux exclusively for... When did Windows 2000 stop being a thing? 'cos that was my last daily-driver running Windows, and even then it was only 'cos wrangling Active Directory from Linux is Not Fun - I was running Linux on my personal machines at the time.

16. adidan

Similar boat as others with me, try a linux distro, tinker around then ditch it when I want to game :/

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Exactly why I put it on my work laptop. Not suitable for gaming because it's **** spec, and it's not mine.

18. Valo

Valo Minimodder

learn to code, it's more fun than gaming and easier to do in unix than on winblows

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I switched from XP to Ubuntu in 2006, then began dual-booting W8.1 in 2014, when I returned to gaming.
    I switched to Kubuntu (KDE desktop) last year when Ubuntu dropped their own desktop for Gnome 3.

20. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Only run Windows for gaming, other than that it's Ubuntu 18.04 with Unity7 desktop. Gnome 3 is just meh and Unity just worked and was intuitive.

@Gareth Halfacree sssd makes setting up Linux based OSs on an AD much easier. Setting up OpenLDAP to replace AD however, not so easy.