1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress December project - unnamed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AT0MAC, 2 Dec 2018.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Thanks dude.

If you seen my Instagram today, I have teared down most of the build and looks like the problem was 2 things - one of the rads have a small tear somewhere, so few drops of water have hit the upper graphics card and I guess its dead.

2nd problem seems to be bend pins in the cpu socket, should have checked that when i bought it, but im so blind and desperate need the glasses i wear.

Just orded a simple cpu cooler, 212 evo black, so i can test it with at least the 2nd graphics card and see i it boots correct.

So i have not given up, just need to rethink a few things

2. kim

kim hardware addict

I never thought you'd give up of course :grin: I could tell you stories that way of my own , but we never give up, do we? :naughty:...good luck and see you soon for the rebirth...

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

AWESOME UPDATE!!!

Today I got a little time to transfer the most basic parts of the build to my "test rig", with a totally standard aircooler on top of the CPU.

[​IMG]

Pushed the button and o... m... g...

[​IMG]

It's freaking ALIVE! (said in Frankensteins voice)

[​IMG]

This is with the little 920 CPU, need to check if everything is A-ok before I install one of the much beefier Xeons.
    Need to check RAM, if GPU performs as expected or bugs out and just a general inspection before reinstalling it into the modded case.

Also just remembered that my HTPC have an AM1 based ITX board with a PCIe 16X slot on, so I can install that in the modded case with the watercooled GPU, just to see if that GPU actually survived the mishap I had with the motherboard.

I expect to get some little time in the weekend for more trouble shooting, but at least this was a very nice surprise on an else kind of boring Thursday.

Stay tuned!

4. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

It has taken way longer than I estimated to bug test the rig, but it looks like I can move forward again.
    It turned out it would not boote from either USB or SSD as it was, no matter what I did - and I did a lot!

Kind of frustrating, but yesterday I got an idea, maybe it would boot from CD...
    So I made an ISO into a disc, only God know when I last did that.

[​IMG]

Success!!
    I now have a pretty slow Windows 10 installed!

Next up is finetuning and making it an actual usable machine.

Its far from over yet ;)

[​IMG]

:)

5. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Good on ya for sticking out the boot issues! I recently figured out a weird issue with my desktop that took me years to find, but at least it'd boot. I can appreciate how you are feeling! An automotive themed sticker-bombed side panel would be pretty keen I think. Build looks super clean in your test bench too! That graphics card turned out really nicely! How are temps after pad replacement? Looking forward to seeing more!

6. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Cant say much for temps, seems like this kinda card for sure have had its time, its soooo slow, have not tested it but im almost certain my ITX machine with a 1050Ti is running circles around this as it is now...

Will replace the cpu with a Xeon and start overclocking soon-ish, that should help.
    Also am thinking I do need to rethink a few things and upgrade to modern graphics, lets see... There is more to come

7. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Everything good takes a while, just think of cheese or wine ;)

With the latest developments, I have actually found a purpose for the build, it will end up in the living room and be used for gaming from in there - because it is as good looking as its functional, will be such a shame to hide it away somewhere else.
    I do miss a few components that by now almost look like they got lost in the mail, but I have today picked up something that sticks out compared to the rest - I have decided to upgrade the graphics now I have an actual use case.

And I will go with modern graphics to be on the safe side:

PowerColor AMD Radeon RX580 Red Devil Golden Sample!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I start using the new card, I kind of have to know how bad the old one is...
    So now I am starting to do a mountain of benchmarks, starting with an overall test of the whole system with PC Mark 10

[​IMG]

We are not at roads end yet, but now its starting to be actual interesting again! :D