1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STEALTH:: LIAN LI TRANSFORMATION! 12/07 new pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by fohkus, 1 Oct 2003.

1. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

I finally got to apply the tinted window to the panel.. so here goes!

[​IMG]

This was actually not as fun as i thought it would be...

[​IMG]

This made my back hurt a lot :(

[​IMG]

:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and there it is w/ the window tint applied.. now its time to think of a design for the right panel ;)

2. kestrel

kestrel What's a Dremel?

nice, can you see through the pexi when the interioir is lit?

3. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

yes.. its tinted plexiglass. I kept the cover on the otheside so i dont scratch it

4. DrSpYdeR

DrSpYdeR What's a Dremel?

looking good :thumb:

5. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

Hi guys !

I started working on the inside... well sort of... first off instead of painting the drives i decided to decorate them a little bit..

[​IMG]

Yeah.. that is carbon fiber sticker.. or decal or whatever. I'm not hardcore enough to use real carbon fiber like mashie did.. although it would be sexy .. but it looks exactly the same so why not.. alot cheaper ;P

[​IMG]

I first cut out the approprite ammount..

[​IMG]

placed on top of cdrom..

[​IMG]

Applied it to the top. They work basically like appliques.. gotta get rid of the annoying air bubbles..

[​IMG]

And there both of the drives were done. I think that looks a lot sexier than just painting them black (which was what i had in mind)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's wat it looks like from the back..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm very happy w/ the way they turned out. The only thing is.. since my window is so heavily tinted, i doubt you'll be able to see the drives from the outside.. oh well. At least i know and that alone will make me feel better :p

6. Zazard

Zazard What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

No words to describe it ... Well , it just ROCKS !

keep up the good work, m8 :rock: :clap:

7. Lord Kordir

Lord Kordir What's a Dremel?

fohkus, I like your idea about covering the CD-ROM drives in carbon effect. Gives me inspiration.

8. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

AWWWW! I WANT THAT!

You're computer has inspired me in so many ways, its a work of art you fool.

:clap: :clap:

9. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments guys... i started working on the watercooling setup and some other stuff :)

[​IMG]
    Heres the original radeon saphire 256mb 9800 video card... w/ the krazy heatsink which i believe sux ass... but oh well

[​IMG]
    I took off the heatsink..
    [​IMG]
    Got the gpu waterblock..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then stuck it on the video card!

[​IMG]
    Then i got the motherboard w/ the cpu attached..
    [​IMG]
    The chipset was supposed to be put on w/ zip ties.. but i thought that would be weak.. so i used thermal epoxy or wutever from artic silver..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here it is w/ all three of the blocks attached..

10. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

Next i decided to add a little bit of light to the inside..

[​IMG]
    took my molex plug..
    [​IMG]
    Applied the lighted molex method..
    [​IMG]
    lights out!
    [​IMG]
    And then applied to the two cdroms. Since the two cdroms are the only things that will be seen from the window, those were the only plugs i modded..
    [​IMG]

Next..

[​IMG]
    I got myself a thermometer kit from canakits..
    [​IMG]
    Connected it w/ 5v wires..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then powered on :) This basically acts as a temperature reader for my case temp...
    You can also see in the picture that some of the tubing is connected... in order to organize the tubing i used some connectors that were used from gnome and someone else..
    [​IMG]
    They were $10 each.. not very cheap but they make the inside look a lot neater and nicer...

11. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Wow, there is a ton of awesome work here. The faux carbon fiber looks fantastic, but you should do the back of the drives too. The lighted molexes are also great, very clever idea, I havent seen or even thought about it before but they look really nice. Great progress, Im loving the case :rock:

12. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

fohkus, the tinted plexi definitely finishes off that side panel quite nicely. the carbon-fiber decals or whatever are great. is that a reflection on the carbon-fiber in one of the pics? and where'd you get that CF decals from?

keep up the good work!

13. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

I apologize if this has been answered, but I am in a rush and can't read every word of the log. Did you tint the plexi or buy tinted plexi?

14. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

Lookin nice- I'm a fan of the lighted molexes.
    Ever think of making some sort of mount for the CD-ROMS?

15. JPLocutus

JPLocutus What's a Dremel?

I see you used the double sided tape method, very nice ;)

Omfg, I know what you mean, though. My back was killing me after sitting there for like a half hour peeling those stupid tape backings off when I put in my window....ugh.

But looks like it was worth it, very nice job :thumb:

P.S. still hunting for someone I know w/ a digital camera...but don't think it's happening anytime soon, oh well

16. JPLocutus

JPLocutus What's a Dremel?

Oh, btw, fohkus...I was wondering what you used to filter your VFD to such a deep blue color. I've been trying to do that to mine, but can't find anything to use that makes it look blue enough.

Thanks

17. broots

broots What's a Dremel?

Excellent work dude! The carbon film on the drives looks awesome! :D I was planning on doing the same when I start my project.. And putting the thermo-display on the inside.. very cool! :thumb:

18. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

The plexiglass done on page 1 of this project log is actual window tint that i applied. After realizing how much of a pain in the ass it was to apply i decided to just buy tinted plexi to get the same effect. Trimming the tint around screw holes is not fun..

Yea that is a reflection.. :p I got the decal from stickercity.com i think

The dvd burner (bottom cdrom) is actually held i place by the front of the lian li structure. The opening was just big enough for it to fit through so moving from side to side is not an issue since its pretty much stuck. The only thing i had to worry about was the drive moving backwards. If you look at the pictures, there are 2 aluminum cut outs stacked ontop of each other and stuck on the bottom of the case, preventing the drive from sliding back. The cdrom on top (dvd rom) is just stuck onto the bottom drive with double sided tape, so its secure but not permanent!

The vfd was actually bought from matrix orbital and they sell filter covers in the accessories section!

Thanks again for the comments guys.. it's not easy to carry on a project log while there are other crazy cases in progress like gnomes... thanks for stickin w/ my log ;P

19. h1t0k1r1

h1t0k1r1 What's a Dremel?

wow, i didn't think it would happen..

but you've made a case sexier than u are :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

20. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

One of the best Lian-Li Mods I have ever seen!

Great work - the sort of case I wish my Lian Li looked like.

Top stuff!

:clap: