1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Thinking of delidding for the 1st time

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by numanoid, 23 Sep 2019.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Hi guys
    I'm thinking of delidding my i7 9700k, never done it before so first time for everything right lol.. Is it worth the risk... Can I destroy the cpu... If I do delid what glue should I use to put it back together.
    Thank you

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

To be honest, if you're not sure what you're doing then I'd leave it well alone. You absolutely could destroy your CPU if you cock it up, so unless you're pretty confident then I'd not bother.

numanoid likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm with @bawjaws, although I'd also say if you're not going to be dissuaded then pick up some cheap socket-compatible CPUs from the Marketplace/FleaBay/CEX/wherever to practise on first. Then if you do end up breaking 'em, you've not lost your shiny 9700K.

numanoid likes this.
  4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I don't know about Gareth or bawjaws, but I have delidded multiple Intel chips, including brand new i7s. I have not destroyed any - not a single one, from about 10 attempts. With huge gains in overclocking potential and temperatures. I am not saying there is no risk, but providing your careful and follow guides, you'll be fine.

Along with Gareth's idea of practicing, you can also get a delidding tool for added safety.

Heat resistant silicone sealant is a good choice for re gluing. Search what others have used as opinions vary.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Sugru works pretty well for resealing too.

6. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Thanks everyone, I've been looking at the delid die mate 2 delidding tool, I have a few old intel cpu's knocking around somewhere I'll dig em out, I wasn't delidding to overclock I was delidding to bring the temp down, I heard you can achieve a 20c reduction in temp... Sounds good but I suppose not at the thought of destroying the cpu, thank you everyone I got to have a good think lol

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I've delidded and destroyed my 3770k, but I was happy to experiment and buy another and didn't care about warranty but surely the money spent on delidded tool and losing warranty would get you a better chip in the first place? Unless you are just interested and are happy with risk as I was then go for it.

In my experience despite dropping the temp loads, I barely got much more Mhz out of the chip than pre-delid, a little over 100Mhz.

I bought some cheap pentiums to practice on which is a good move I thought and they were fine, unfortunately I screwed up the one I cared about.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2019
  8. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Thanks sandy, got me thinking now lol, £320+ for a 9700k...... I'll see how hot it runs out of the box and go from there, thanks bud

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

If you are really concerned some delidding services are offered on eBay.

10. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Thanks Silk