Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Nothing thankfully, it was just a case transplant :)

Guest-44638 likes this.
  2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I was accepted as family with my in-laws for New Year's. It was really nice to go out with my long braided hair and be accepted for just being me. We even got a gift addressed to both of us. Makes me happy inside. I don't get enough of that.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

chassis transplant successful, (nothing more wracking then flipping the switch for the first time) now just waiting on proper sata cables to arrive so i can put the ssd's in the right place as they're hanging loose.

adidan likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup affirmative. This weekend I will be working on a group B legend. One Golf Rallye in met green.

My cousin brought it over from Germany in 1998. He paid about 9k for it then. It's worth five times that now.

He's just had it restored and I'm doing all the audio gear. He sent a pic and the memories came flooding back. Back in 98 I met who would become my first wife on Yahoo, and we took the car to Brighton. The first pic I ever sent my wife was me sitting on the car lol.

Then the day I first met her we took that car to the airport. The window wouldn't work so we had to park next to a wall and my cousin had to climb out of the window lmao.

Oh man, memories. Memories of going past stone henge on the way to Cornwall doing 150.

This is going to be emotional.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Been playing with my new 3D printer some more

[​IMG]

USB for scale as I'm out of bananas.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I’d give that a good 5 out of 7

cracking.

The_Crapman and MLyons like this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

That's damn good.

You gonna print yourself some keycaps on that thing?

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Not immediately. I got it for DnD miniatures. Patreon'd a couple of amazing figure designers too.

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sped up a periodic job by about 30% then worked out how to split it across multiple cores which on my laptop makes the program perform 4x quicker so really looking forward to trying it out on some epyc chips.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This year is already picking up speed!

Just had a call & a bunch of emails from BP Chargemaster about installing the free* wall charger before my new electric car (See purchases thread) arrives. :D

*- Free means that I fill forms for BP to claim the £500 government grant for installing the charger, and Renault pay the rest.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2020
  12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

some more tweaks and it's gone from 32 minutes to 3 minutes on my laptop. Add an EPYC and we're looking good.

IanW likes this.
  13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Nice - welcome along. I had to buy ours and install it myself! Our Gen1 LEAF is starting to get a bit long in the tooth now (have had it from new, Dec 2011). Half thinking about a new LEAF, will be interested to hear your thoughts on the ZoE.

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You may want to keep an eye on Fully Charged Show. In an upcoming story trailed on today's podcast, Bobby Llewellyn announced he will be taking his 2011 Leaf "somewhere" to have a 40kW battery fitted.

BTW - I'll have lots of electricians around next month. Smart meter install booked for Feb 7th, and the charger is pencilled in for 21st.

15. WarBoys

WarBoys What's a Dremel?

New Dracula on Netflix;)

16. MLyons

So as some of you will know I've recently got into overclocking on HWBOT and I've pushed one of my chips as far as I think it will go using 2 480mm rads. A few months back I got given a Prometeia mk2 gt but without any of the mounting hardware . So although Alex is super talented his schedule is super busy so I can't really get his help in making the mounts. It ends up someone I went to school with now does fabrication work for a living and should be able to make me the mounting plates for all sockets. So I should be able to go down to -65 but more likely -30 with load. Getting new brackets fabbed instead of finding a rare set of originals also means I could get brackets made for newer stuff like ryzen and possibly even GPUs.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2020
    perplekks45 likes this.
  17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I inherited my uncles semi-dead (Part of the 12v circuit had pooped its pants, and I jury-rigged it with a few parts I had lying around, meant manually turning the cooler on though) Prometeia back in the day. I think it was a Mach I, though.

Running a stock clocked Athlon XP 2400, IIRC, at -35 was loud, loud, fun.

Those things are wicked fun. Sad it eventually fully pooped its pants.

adidan and MLyons like this.
  18. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

New car battery installed and the damn thing fired up first time without so much as a radio glitch.

Did a few turn overs to make sure it wasn't a fluke, going to check again (and take the multimeters to get a reading) in an hour or 2. Part of me still expecting life to kick me in the balls and wake up to another drained/dead battery in the morning. But if we do get to that point and it's still fine and dandy, I'll be happy.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Have you tested the alternator?

20. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Not yet, but when the previous battery was very obviously at the end of its life (and took a solid dozen attempts to get the engine turned over some mornings), it never once hiccuped once it was running - no dim headlights, no battery warning light, no loss of power steering or radio/satnav cutting out.

Like I say, I'm not gonna let myself think I'm completely out of the woods yet, we'll see where we're at in the morning, but all signs did point to the battery being the issue... Like the horrid stink I used to get come out of the blowers when it did eventually start - apparently its a nice sulphur mix of gases being released from the battery. I just thought something crawled into the vents and died in there. :lol: