1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases LED Strip Diffuser

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 23 Jan 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm building a new rig for my brother and have got some led strips to put in to make all the pretties sparkle. Doing a test fit yesterday I was a little disappointed with the spot-ness of them:
    [​IMG]

Been looking for something to disperse the light a bit more evenly, only thing I can seem to find is the aluminium housed one's:
    [​IMG]
    When you include postage they're are about £20 and was hoping for something a bit cheaper. I've got some Alu angle so could diy something similar if I could think if what to use as the diffusing bit.

Anyone done anything similar and have any suggestions? (That aren't being posted from china and will take an age).

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Just a strip of frosted acrylic would do the job, no? Could use some small L-brackets and a couple of case screws/M3 bolts to mount it to the roof of the case pretty quick and easy, too!

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. The_Crapman

Yeh kind of, but you'd get unfiltered light escaping out the sides and my brother has left me instructions that in no way is the case to be altered. No holes, no dremmel, no fun. lol

Found a site which sold just the plastic strips and didn't want a fortune for postage. Got 2m posted for less than £10.

Bit of a waste of a thread but have spent hours searching this morning. :rollingeyes:

Brooxy likes this.
  4. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Let us know how you get on with those strips - thinking about getting some LED strips in the house, but want to avoid the spotty light look :)

5. The_Crapman

I'll be back with before and after shots.

I think smd density is quite important. The rgb strips we got have 12 in 30cm, so one every 2.5cm. The white ones I have in my case are the Phobya high density strips, with an smd every 0.83cm, so it's not that noticable.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Why not use thin walled PVC tubing? That'll probably do it, worth testing :)

7. The_Crapman

Strips arrived today. Tested with just 1 of the strips initially, not 100% sure on all their placings as yet.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    The_Crapman

After:
    [​IMG]
    The_Crapman

Don't know if it's very apparent in the pics, but it's definitely softened off the spots on the gpu and bracket, which will probably be more apparent once the nickel block gets put there. I've included a link the the images on Flickr if you want a closer look.

[​IMG]
    The_Crapman, on Flickr
    Here I've pushed it right onto the strip in one spot, with it just resting on the rest. It seems that the diffusing effect would improve if there was a little more distance between the LEDs and the strip. If it were my rig I'd likely be buy the Alu frames these are meant to go into which would give them that extra bit of distance, but it's not mine and my brother wouldn't really have cared about these at all. ha ha

If nothing else, they'll blend them into the white case a bit more and help hide the cables, which i might have to make a snip or 2 on as they're way too big as is.
    [​IMG]
    The_Crapman