1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah, weekly Daily Mail earful...:wallbash:

I know the UK like groups traveling together to present together but i'm not sure if we're the anomaly or not.

Mind you, won't be able to tell until next year I guess.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Last time I went through security with an EU national, said EU national was directed to a different line.

We hadn't even left at that point.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What i loved WRT to the above is how it works on so many levels, it's apparently not the Brexit he voted for but it's not even related to Brexit.

He doesn't seem to understand that it is the Brexit he voted for, that we're in the transition so the Brexit he voted for hasn't even happened yet, and the delays were caused by staff training not Brexit.

Boy is he going to be in for a shock when we've left completely in 2021.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think that a lot of people will be...

Me, I'll be like:
    [​IMG]

6. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I think I will plan a visit to the UK for late this year and then I think that will be it for quite a while.

7. adidan

So the new rules are aimed at raising the standards and wages across the UK?

Removing the cap on higher wage earners and freeing up 'low skilled' (low paid, many not low skilled) positions by removing non-UK competition.

Sounds like its aim is to keep UK workers in low paid jobs while opening up better paid jobs to non-UK workers.

Interested to see how the care system survives let alone agriculture.

Or have I misunderstood?

Nexxo, fix-the-spade and MLyons like this.
  8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

That's basically about right.

You have to laugh at Obersturmbannführer Priti Patel saying that the low paid jobs will be filled by the UK's "8.45 million economically inactive"...

... here's the truth behind that figure...

27% are students (can't see them relocating to pick fruit during term time)
    26% are long term sick (not sure working in hospitals is good for anyones health)
    22% are full-time carers (so basically already have a fulltime job, most probably without pay)
    13% have already retired (so REALLY motivated to work in a low paid job)
    11% are people who say they have not yet started looking for work, are awaiting the results of job applications and some who say they do not need to work
    The remainder are what are termed "discouraged" workers

Source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/economicinactivity

What will happen without the cheap labour from abroad is that UK employers will be forced to either raise wages to attract UK people or outsource the work to large labour supply firms who will have the political clout to get an "exemption", just like the IT bodyshops do and bring in temporary staff and rotate them on short term gigs to avoid getting into trouble with immigration.

Guess which is more likely to happen?

Hmm, I wonder if the new Chancellor's father-in-law will branch out into supplying slaves workers to non-IT industries.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2020
    edzieba and adidan like this.
  9. adidan

I heard Priti mention that.

'Economically inactive', she does spin some crap.

The reality is we need immigration and i'd rather have 100 people who want to work in the care sector than 1 more investment banker.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

As pieces of Newspeak go, that phrase is downright terrifying. I can already see it being plastered in air quotes on the red tops to make anyone old, infirm or poor sound like a scrounger.

I'm waiting for it appear as a reason for refusing Universal Credit applications.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I am fairly sure I read, a long time ago, something written by an economist that basically said that for a society to be socially mature and inclusive, it needed to factor into its' economy that it will never have 100% of its' population contributing to it's economy in monetary terms, to try and get even close to this is futile and damaging to the social structures of the society.

For example, charity volunteers contribute to the social well being of a society without contributing directly in economic terms, their contribution is indirect but does ultimately contribute. Pure monetary thinking by Obersturmbannführer Priti Patel and the rest of the right wing Tory Staatspolizei is just madness and so divisive - continuing the path they started with Brexit.

What kind of country/world do you want to live in?

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'Economically Inactive' and 'Unemployed' are different things and the numbers are kept separate for a reason.

Plus it takes a special kind of ... something ... to enact an immigration policy that would almost certainly stopped your own parents coming to the UK.

EDIT: And the govt's solution to those struggling to hire because of the new rules?

Automate more.

Whilst it's probably a poorly kept secret that most jobs at the lower end of the scale only continue to exist because people are [for now] cheaper than the robots. So when HMG is saying 'businesses need to invest in...', they say 'British workers' they mean/business will likely hear 'automation/robots'

Last edited: 19 Feb 2020
  13. RedFlames

Also I share many people's annoyance/anger/etc at 'low skill' and 'low paid' used interchangeably [along with the implied 'low value to society']

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's OK, we'll just enforce long-term contraception on those who are 'economically inactive', so that we avoid a permanent underclass. Oh wait sorry, Andrew Sabisky resigned didn't he...

Ah, not to worry, it seems Classic Dom(tm) can save us from just such a fate after all:

15. adidan

Ooh, this may make my Sunday phonecall interesting.

I'll ask mum what she thinks of the 'economically inactive' and when she mumbles some unthought out answer about "good they should work" i'll ask her, being retired, whether she wants me to put her down for fruit picking or care home work.

Yeah, that may finally get something through to her.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It says something about Dom's intelligence that he thinks highly dubious and unscientific genetic screening is a more effective strategy for boosting the intelligence of working class offspring, than simply pursuing some proven initiatives like Sure Start, ensuring that parents can feed their children, decent school meals, decent education and after-school activities.

FFS the guy's a ****ing moron.

17. RedFlames

Given the currently policy is basically just racism thru arbritrary maths, seems 'Classic Dom'.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Woah now. Feeding kids? I was with you until the feeding kids part. What kind of leftist lunatic are you that thinks kids need to eat?

The really intelligent people absorb energy from the underclass that live in the sewers.

MLyons and Nexxo like this.
  19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or just move production abroad, that carrot won't give a toss if it grew in Yorkshire or Bavaria, but only one requires expensive robots to harvest...