1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mini PC graphics, onboard graphics shenanigans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xir, 16 Mar 2020.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

I've not been using a seperate graphics card for a while now, my computers beeing only used for surfing.
    Now I've gotten my hands on a nice i5, but it's in a half-height case.

I know there are half height cards out there, but my case is whisperquiet, and the half height craphics cards…..aren't.

I seem to remember here was a trick to using the on-board graphics, and the graphics card at the same time. Connecting only the on-board DP or HDMI, but using the Graphics Card for specific programs (games), while the rest of the (dull) time, the on-board graphics are running for desktop and surfing and the like.

Do I remember this correctly?

This would allow me to "hide" a full height Graphicscard in my case without plugging it in from the outside.

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

There's an option in windows to pick which gpu you want to use.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The first effort was the buggy Lucid Virtu system - Z68 era (I think)? Which was supposed to use the iGPU to supplement the GPU.

From Haswell onwards, I believe there was a multi-monitor option in the BIOS where the igpu would drive a second screen from the onboard ports, but I don't think it aided the GPU performance.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2020
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Alienware used a tech like this for the M11x and other laptops. The main GPU only did anything when you put a gaming load on it.. However it was flawed deeply as Alienware couldn't keep up with Nvidia and thus you had to wait months for a driver update not the few weeks for the OEM ones.

I know you can use pass through, but IIRC the last time I studied it you needed to hack the driver.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

I remember it was a big discussion when iGPU's first became common, (around Sandy Bridge time?) but can't find anything about it. Getting Old :grin: