1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I've seen a grand total of like one person post a picture of an actual card in this forum... so the Biigfoot comparison is very apt.

As for availability, don't expect it to improve any time soon, not a single reputable etailer has a single card in stock (as they are all still filling the preorders they accepted day one).

If you absolutely want a card now you'd pretty much have to buy a pre-built and sell everything that isn't the card:
    https://www.ebuyer.com/1124517-alphasync-rtx-3080-ryzen-7-3800xt-32gb-ram-4tb-hdd-500gb-ssd-as-d5343

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Looking at the demand for 3080's, if it is the same price and performance then it'll be sellouts and scalpers too! The 2xxx series really left people skipping a generation and AMD hasn't delivered tangible performance for ages, so a lot of people are wanting 1440@144Hz and these are the cards to do it! Its going to be bedlam for ages I expect!

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Especially with scalping bots just hoovering up everything they can find, like the Xbox One X's that got bought by them as they were in the search terms... I bet even if there is reasonable supply it'll still all get bought

4. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

FTFY... :thumb:

wyx087 likes this.
  5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I'll have to wait until tomorrow, but that's not too bad. Can't get the elite battery strap and PC cable until next week anyway, so no biggie.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While that article brings up some well known points about how consumerism is inevitably going to lead to the destruction of the planet... said consumerism also underpins the economy and by extension society as we know it.

To fix such problems would require far deeper changes than "don't moan on a forum about having to wait for an extra week to get your shiny".

And with every single serious issue inevitably being turned into partisan political sh*t flinging along perceived left / right lines it is obvious that society at large clearly isn't ready to fix the underlying problems and humanity will just have to learn the hard way.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They essentially tried to pull a trick from AMD during the FX era

wyx087 likes this.
  9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

while i wouldn't mind a more efficient card i honestly don't see the issue with the 3080, despite all the focus on its 320W TDP (which had me worried) this is by far the best cooled and quietest card i've ever owned.

i haven't seen it reach more than 70c so far, and that's with the default quiet bios which keeps the gpu fans down to 47% (1400RPM)

i only got my "limited edition" bigfoot 2 weeks ago !

[​IMG]

i'm on 3440x1440 ultrawide, and having upgraded from the legendary 1080t there was a massive jump in performance, i went from tweaking settings to keep a nice balance between high refresh rate and good image quality to maxing out settings and still seeing noticeably higher FPS, definitely happy with the card and can't wait for cyberpunk !

as for 4k benchmarks show even larger improvement over the 1080ti, i think this is the first true 4k GPU, not only in terms of performance but also price, 2080ti was only halfway there...

i don't think you'll be able to buy the 3080 any time soon though, OCUK and SCAN have thousands of orders and they seem to receive small shipments of 25 - 50 card every couple of days

shortly after release date there were rumours saying that the production would ramp up in October/November but there haven't been any signs of that yet, if the situation doesn't change it could be Q1 2021 before things go back to normal :/

perhaps AMD will deliver a better launch, from the numbers they've shown it looks like they'll actually compete with Nvidia for the first time in 7 years, that's if they don't sh!t the bed with the drivers...

Guest-44432 and wyx087 like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The switch back from Samsung to TSMC part is explicitly marked as a rumour.

Also don't forget Nvidia could have easily booked TSMC fab capacity for lower end (but higher volume) Ampere chips (3050, 3060, Mobile).

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

You can't just switch fab at will. The whole ASIC design has to go through design processes again. So I don't believe the 102 and 104 chips will get TSMC 7nm for the next 6 months at least.

Yes, they may already have a TSMC 7nm design lined up. But it doesn't mean it's ready to be released at drop of a hat. At best it is parked at just before production run validation, but most likely it is parked after full design implementation but before or during production test runs, meaning need a few months of back and forth to get production ready.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

upload_2020-10-14_9-24-47.png

upload_2020-10-14_9-26-38.png

Vault-Tec and Bloody_Pete like this.
  14. rollo

rollo Modder

dunno about you but I always took the winner as who sold the most, Just because you have a better product, if nobody buys it makes no real dif.

Plenty of things can be pointed to in tech where been better did not mean selling well

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Plus trust and experience too.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Hence why it would be much easier for Nvidia to shift say the production of the yet to released mobile variants to TSMC (and free up capacity at Samsung for increase 102 quantities) rather than shift production of the already released products.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2020
    wyx087 likes this.
  17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

18. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

And they're gone

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

20. knarF

knarF Noob

What are the chances of getting a 3070 for when Cyberpunk comes out next month? Will the 3rd party (MSI, zotac…) versions come out on the same date as the official nvidia one? Finally, will there likely be any reviews before they release?

Not paid attention to hardware releases for some time so a bit out of the loop.