1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. walle

walle Minimodder

The loss of livelihoods and impact upon sick people not getting treatment for other illnesses, suicides, family breakdown, solitary confinement etc and economic collapse could be vastly worse than the C-virus. Most of these things have been in full play for quite some time now.

But like I pointed out adidan, I hope your economy and society survives another lockdown should it drag out for months on end.

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Just finished watching Death to 2020 on Netflix. I needed that. Think I've changed my pants twice through laughing.

Standout quote (in deep narrative tones): "The vaccine now faces an uphill struggle to gain regulatory approval - which is a challenge for any liquid."

Last edited: 8 Jan 2021
    LennyRhys likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Exactly. My point was deal with all the variables you can in a timely fashion and more of what you say will be averted or at least the impact will be reduced.

Not all, obviously, it's a pandemic. Half assed measures, well they just drag it out.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Which is all the more reason to go in early, and hard. Once the virus gets inside the borders, it's already too late.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

https://www.ft.com/content/5dffb370-6d9b-4f27-98f0-8403470ac41c

Only about 11 months late...

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

There is a heatmap of deaths for England: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths?areaType=nation&areaName=England (must be set to deaths in england, as not available for UK)

If it helps at all

The pfizer one is different. It is new, I cannot pretend to know how different as not trained, but my partner studied biology at Uni and says that it is a new method when used on humans. I actually don't blame anyone for waiting for the Oxford one.

I am more concerned whether the effectiveness goes down with the mutations, and that we cannot have complete data for the vaccines application in younger people. Particularly in regards to fertility etc, having not had children myself yet. (I am not an anti-vaxxer, have been vaccinated in the past, will be in the future, but still like to know the ins and outs of things)

I basically want my parents, and grandparents safe. Will continue to abide by the rules. But hope that the general thinking is that we are getting our older generations safe.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2021
  7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

adidan and law99 like this.
  8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

i only lick the waitrose ones, as higher quality germs on them ;)

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Interesting graphs:

loftie likes this.
  10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

One going spare my gran will have it, she had #1 just before christmas, #2 got cancelled, then they decided to let her have it after they phoned us too to tell us it'd been cancelled, turned up this morning to be told she's not having it. Informed she has to wait for her GP, but more than likely 12 weeks.

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

It's a farce. Even Pfizer have said there should only be a six week gap max between doses. And then added that this isn't what was tested and signed off.

There was also a comment about different efficacy figures to the test results, but I missed that bit.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yep they argued this this morning, but were just told there's nothing they can do. My great aunt on the other hand who had the 1# vaccine two days before my gran, had her #2 on wednesday about a mile away. Presumably driven to location by someone who, afaik, should be isolating :wallbash:

13. walle

walle Minimodder

I believe New Zealand actually closed its borders properly, but I'm not a 100% sure.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

They are slightly different, yes. The Pfizer and Moderna (IIRC?) vaccines are mRNA vaccines; they tell your body to make the spike protein that's on the outside of the SARS-COV-2, and your immune system recognises this as a foreign object so destroys it. The protein on it's own is harmless and inert. If you were to then become infected with SARS-COV-2 your immune system 'remembers' the spike protein and attacks the virus.

It is a new approach - typically you'd use a live or attenuated virus, or even fragments of the virus - but the underlying means by which the mRNA vaccines work has been studied and trialled for over a decade. It's use in combatting SARS-COV-2/COVID-19 is what's new and what was studied/trialled recently.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That all sounds about right, the supermarket my little opticians is in deals with the same shite every day. We're lucky, we get to have a very simple no mask, no serve policy, the rest of the store have to deal with their company's Head Office who insist they serve everyone while they work safely form home.

17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Apparently Morrisons is better. Especially in the cafe.

18. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Went to my local green grocer, more than 4 customers in the shop (which is the limit the shop has set given its size).

Workers not wearing masks neither were half of the customers.

Most bizzare, a couple, husband not wearing a mask but wife was.

Oh well one more place off of my shopping list.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Put a big display of Creme Eggs by the entrance, that'll keep the nutters away thanks to that new ad:hehe:

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder