1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

AFAIK a Pool table is 1/2 size in each dimension compared to a Snooker table, so 1/4 the area.

Potting the balls is waaay harder in snooker as there's much further to travel and the balls are larger and heavier.

Pool essentially is you playing one colour (or spot / stripe) and potting the black when you have put all your balls down.

Snooker is structured, inasmuch that you pot a red, then try for a colour, and then a red if that colour is potted. You play until you don't get a ball potted.

The coloured balled come back on to the table while there are reds still playable, then the coloured balls are potted in strict colour order until you get to the black.

It's not all about potting, a 'snooker' is where you put the cue (white) ball in such a position that your opponent can't get a decent shot or can't see the ball they need to get. If they fail to hit the right ball or pot the white,
    there are penalties depending on what ball is needed.

IanW and Dr. Coin like this.
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

QFT. I love watching top level snooker play, but I ain't no artist myself.

Pool tables are a variety of sizes - the 6' size you mention is about the smallest that a "proper" slate bed pool table comes and it goes up to 9' tournament size American pool tables.

Mine's right in the middle size wise - don't really like the the small "pub pool" sizes, but neither did I want it to totally dominate the room (nor did I want to spend ~£6k+ on it)

perplekks45 likes this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Pool is the easy one. You pocket either the halves or the full-coloured ones followed by the black.

Snooker is a game of pocketing a colour, then a red, then a colour, then a red, then a c-------- you get the idea. Seriously, there is a reason snooker is on TV even in Germany, while pool is nowhere to be seen.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As someone who plays both pool and snooker, they're both as hard to play as the person you're playing against is good. Great pool players are still great and there's a reason why great snooker players switching disciplines don't dominate.
    If on the other hand you want to just compare how easy it is to score points/pot balls, now 3 cushion billiards, that's a real game :happy:

Last edited: 5 Feb 2021
    perplekks45 likes this.
  5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Despite sleeves being attached with magic, I seem to have attached four sleeves to their respective bodies.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Four?! So you're not human.

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

[​IMG]

Dr. Coin and liratheal like this.
  9. liratheal

Lining and the main jacket :p

10. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Today was nice, woke of feeling really refreshed, me and the family had a full day of activities, playing toys, arts & crafts and what not. By about 3pm we were all a bit worn out when the door rang. Amazon, silicon cake trays and monitor cables.... awesome

I had by this point had an email confirming they expedited my cancellation for the Samsung G9 to the warehouse, I should receive a refund within 3-5 working days, frustrating because I’d found a way to make it usable for my current needs, I’d have liked to have gave it a look at least. decided to do some baking to pass the time when my 3 year old son got quickly bored and wanted to watch a film. He seemed happy enough but I was hankering for something to do, probably a good time to arrange the return on these cables I suppose...

Door knocks, their stands a bloke struggling to handle a box approximately 5ft in length, The Samsung Odyssey G9 cancellation didn’t quite go to plan because it’s on my doorstep!

It’s an absolute monster in size, the 1000R curve radius helps it nestle into the corner quite nicely, I initially wanted the Phillips due to the price but without the added curve it would a push to fit. PBP mode is what I’m running on my work machine for now until the update comes along to (hopefully) support 5120x1440 native. It seems drastically overkill for my needs but this is a disgustingly expensive piece of kit and I’ll soon find the hardware to match it for more than productivity! Justifies the Ryzen rebuild later in the year

pictures don’t do it justice on the sheer size!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Vault-Tec, Dr. Coin, Isitari and 5 others like this.
  11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Ridiculous, love it :thumb:

12. liratheal

Not sure it's big enough. I can still see a bit of desk and a bit of wall.

Arboreal and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  13. DeadP1xels

In every sense of the word! :lol:

Awestruck by the size and curve on this thing... I may turn it straight on but I'm not sure the missus would be best pleased, we keep the living room door open most of the time so it stays mostly hidden behind it which we both agree is more aesthetically pleasing for the overall room. to be fair it seems to fit the corner nicely and weirdly I have more desk space with a bigger monitor.... :eyebrow:

Say what now!? Well I do have my 34inch still... maybe I'll keep hold of it :hehe:

liratheal likes this.
  14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Looks awesome! Although imho having it sitting in the corner of the desk like that is an ergonomic nightmare.

15. DeadP1xels

It’s not that bad to be honest, perspective wise I don’t feel like I’m straining my neck. It’s easy enough to pull out though, you quickly lose a lot of space with the curve but dang I feel like I’ve been propelled into the future!

ya know if the future also has cheap particle board furniture...

To give you an idea of the curve, face on it’s not that big a deal. You notice a very slight curvature but nothing extreme... on the other hand looking from the side

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  16. liratheal

I love sewing machines, holy hell.

I'm far from a savant, but damn are these things cool. The one I've been lent is the lady's mums, from when she was a teenager. Hefty bugger, Pfaff 1229, with so many stitch options.

And, more importantly, it seems to handle the thickness of leather I'm working with. Which is awesome, because I didn't have to hand sew the pockets into the lining. I also reinstalled the 'genuine leather' patch that was in the trench coat all this leather was salvaged from. Because it seemed cruel not to reinstall it.

In related news, I have a jacket inner;

[​IMG]

I also got the reflective tape, so the Samurai logo is in the collar too;

[​IMG]

Todo:

Work out where and how to store the electronics.
    Make some external pockets, because I love pockets.
    Make the power board, because the LED's are 12v, and I don't fancy much more than a 3.7 lipo pack.
    Set up the zipper stuff
    The leather end pieces for the bottom hem
    Install the inner lining
    Print and install the pipe guides for the outer collar
    Attach the doodad on the back
    Stitch around the arms one more time.

..Wear?

Last edited: 7 Feb 2021
  17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That keyboard looks kinda lost now.

18. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I think Almightyrastus had the right idea.

liratheal likes this.
  19. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Finally found a way to benchmark Destiny 2 or at least can graph the performance over a period of time. Programs like FRAPS, MSI Afterburner and FPSMon do not overlay (or work in the case of FRAPS) with D2.

Nvidia FrameView which uses Presentmon with a nice little UI and fairly comprehensive log outputs. In addition to normal framerate I can also graph out GPU utilisation, GPU clock, frame times and CPU clock over time amongst many other things.

Quite useful when trying to figure out if PBO is actually doing anything on my 3950X. As it transpires I am currently averaging ~4.3Ghz in D2, up from ~4.2Ghz without PBO. Small bump in performance (note - run 2 is slightly higher due to a lack of other players and no AI spawns at the time I performed the run):

[​IMG]

Muchos Tinkering to come I think! :D

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Was my last day on Friday, new role starting a week tomorrow.
    I mean it might soon be in the ruining my life thread but hopefully not!

perplekks45 and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.