1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Production of everything should ramp up in march (due to factory staff returning from chinese new year holidays), then allow an extra month or two for products to actually reach shops...

So around May, except the initial wave of incoming products will be eaten up by open orders, so it'll probably be summer before things even remotely return to normal.

LennyRhys likes this.
  2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I sold my 1080 shortly after the announcement back in September which was a massive mistake.

Luckily bought my 3070 at the end of November (had to pay £650 at OCUK) using Discord on my phone. I suggest you do the same:
    https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-3070-3090 (sign up to the Discord alerts using the Discord app on your phone)

And be prepared to over pay for a AIB card!

The only Founders Edition that you have any hope of buying in my experience is the 3090, the 3080 and 3070 both sell out immediately.

Good luck.

LennyRhys likes this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Scan are the only UK source for FE cards

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Even when stock becomes available I think I'm still gonna opt for a preowned 2 series, assuming that they will be more reasonably priced in the coming months. I can't bring myself to spend anywhere near that amount on a graphics card... £300 has always done me well. I'm not disputing how inordinately powerful the 3 series is, but damn do you have to pay for it!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Interesting: Nvidia's ticking off the cryptominers in favour of the gaming market:

Instead, it's going to have a separate product line - basically its Data Centre GPUs, but cheaper - specifically for cryptocurrency mining:

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Or in other words:

We reckon we can fleece more from crypto miners by artificially restricting our consumer hardware so they have to buy our CMP products (kind of like we do for Quadro).

Wonder if 'old' drivers on the 3060 would still work well enough that miners will just use those instead.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Unofficial Linux drivers for Nvidia cards already exist... so I don't see how a driver level restriction would work?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They alrea...
    Oh, you know.
    I don't think Nouveau, if that's what you're talking about, does CUDA, which means no cryptocurrency mining. There was Gdev, but nobody's touched it since 2014.

Spraduke likes this.
  9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yep, that the one. Good to hear about it not doing CUDA, one huge worry gone then.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not surprising, they did it to the commercial clients, as you can't install geforce/titan drivers in datacenters for several years now (they make it explicit in the EULA that its forbidden) so its only a matter of time for it to come to crypto!

Edit: as an aside, it basically stopped my company for being able to use Nvidia products in any of our systems as the cost to perfformance just wasn't there and our clients dismissed it instantly. 4 times the price for no performance gain will do that...

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The miners will probably find a way around it with inf mods or older drivers.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Can't use new card on older drivers...

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I don't think it's going to recover for a long time. Looooong time. All the time there's not enough supply will allow more people to save for an upgrade, creating even more demand. There's probably plenty happy with their current setup, but the epeens monster grows stronger all the time and the increasing popularity of pc gaming and "lack" of next gen console supply can only make more people consider a pc over a console so they too can join pcmr and repost memes about RGB.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Problem both Nvidia and AMD have is they are not the priority customer for either foundary that they both use

Apple gets first dibs on TSMC and Samsung themselves get there own naturally.

so both Nvidia and AMD are getting limited wafers

these supply constraints coupled with massive global demand means we are where we are

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Hah. This is pretty stupid. Let's think about it for a while. Nvidia stops miners mining on cards and makes mining cards for the miners. Only (from another forum I posted it on earlier)

TBH I would rather not be able to get a GPU until the next round of mining implodes than tons of these cards being left with no purpose and thus ending in a landfill.

And either way, what good will this do when these mining GPU cores have to come from where? Samsung? which means it will still affect the amount of gaming GPUs they can make.

IMO? this is just a way for Nvidia to make more money. Make GPUs with no outputs etc (and therefore cutting the costs dramatically) whilst still taking the cores out of supply that would go to gaming otherwise.

It's still robbing Peter (gamers) to pay Paul (miners)

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Whilst simultaneously robbing Paul to pay shareholders. Win win.

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

F-ed up part is they wait for them to no longer be of any use, then disable them from doing anything else useful and thus they end in a landfill.

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Glad I have shares in them then :p

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It is worse than that.

Politicians have gotten involved and made TSMC give priority to chips for cars.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Te...hip-output-in-fast-lane-to-ease-global-crunch

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Just saw an article saying Nvidia will be putting code in drivers for the 3060 that will cut performance in half if it detects mining, as a way of deterring miners from buying them. Lost it now though :rollingeyes: They'll probably release more expensive mining specific cards that don't :hehe: