1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I'd have to check to be sure, but it's non magnetic, so I just assumed stainless. not soft like Alu.

I would normally not stress over something like this, but I've seen how bad it can get on other 650s, and that level of scruff I cannot abide. This is another bike from the group in Delhi, photo taken AFTER a wash and light clean. I have seen other machines in even worse shape. Note how the rest of the bike cleaned up ok, headers, cans, forks, et al, but the engine cases are grotty. Sure, it's purely cosmetic, but it really looks terrible.
    [​IMG]

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

That looks like un-coated / raw aluminium to my old eyes.
    Which is better that aluminium with a top coat (IMHO) as the top coat normally discolours over time and raw aluminium is a breeze to polish out to a super high shine

Arboreal likes this.
  3. stonedsurd

Found a place nearby that will do the job. Just dropped it off. Let's see what turns up tomorrow.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. stonedsurd

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up nicely. Now to keep it this way!
    (or, y'know, send it out for polishing every month or two)

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I need a solid mount for a sat nav, phone, etc, and my Pan European already has this installed on the bars. What type of mount is this?

[​IMG]

Most of the time I don't use a sat nav, if I have to go somewhere I've never been before then I'll usually do it the old fashioned way: look it up on a map and follow road signs. But it would be nice to be able to stick to a specific route, and when I eventually get round to doing a 'proper' tour somewhere then I'm going to want to be able to make sure I end up in the right place!

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Looks like a RAM mount or knock-off, would you say it's 1" diameter?

Also I don't much about this but was recently told that the vibration from motorcycles can kill the optics in iPhones, dunno if that's a concern?

Byron C likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Probably less than 1" I'd say, I'll have a look when I'm out again tomorrow.

It's plausible, certainly. Phone cameras are focussed electro-mechanically, so theoretically it's possible that excessive vibration could damage that mechanism (the lens doesn't move very far but it does move)...

Actually, it seems that in iPhones specifically it's the optical image stabilisation that's getting killed: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/ht0sv3/psa_iphone_11_camera_destroyed_via_motorcycle/ (not the only source I found claiming this). That specifically mentiones the iPhone 11, but I just read other anecdotal accounts of it happening on earlier phones...

Interesting, something to bear in mind, definitely! TBH I was thinking of using a seconday phone that I can afford to lose; I don't want to entrust my main phone to a waterproof mount that may not hold up to a good old fashioned Welsh deluge :grin:.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

RAM

Byron C likes this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Two votes for RAM... Thought it might be a RAM.

EDIT: Never used one before, hence my unfamiliarity. Like I said, I don't usually use a satnav or phone mount...

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Any phone with OIS

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Aye, now that you say it that's what I was told, a mate who'd dug out an old Garmin for motorcycle duties was warming me of it.

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Probably more a factor of most motorcycles not having the requisite six inline cylinders.

Arboreal likes this.
  13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Probs, I'd love to have my phone bar mounted, but I doubt a 1.9L V-Twin would be very kind to it, s'why I went dedicated sat nav

14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

16. stonedsurd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

went over to see grandmum for tea now that everyone's vaxed. the farm made for a some nice pictures :happy:

yuusou likes this.
  17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looks great, what did you do with the cases in the end?

18. stonedsurd

Gave it to a local garage to buff. Been able to keep up with the periodic touch ups myself since then, but at least now I know that if they get bad (we're in an unusually extended monsoon season right now) I have an option.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I've always wanted to try a Rocket III. The Rocket 3 looks kinda more Star Trek, but I wonder how different it is underneath. £20k is ridiculous either way. Reviewers noted of the old one that, other than the heckin' chonker of an engine, they're just a naked upright; no fancy gizmos, no accessories, no furniture, no tech, just...a motorbike. With the claim-to-fame of being the BIGGEST motorbike. Unless the Rocket 3 has got a lot of hi-tech faff and options, it's more over-priced than ever.

You can get a CB1300 Super Four for about £3k second-hand, so if just having an absurdly big, nice-sounding engine is the thing, there's that. And the Super Fours sound amazing.

Unrelated. I'm gonna sell my cruiser. I did a long ride (about 500 miles in a day) and the posture was just horrible. At motorway speeds you're hanging back off the bars, straining your forearms and neck, holding your back straight. Everything cramps up. I never realised how comfy and well-poised the basic sports-upright posture is until I left it behind.

Next up: a Deauville or an NC750, I think.

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Integrated phone control
    Navigation
    USB charging
    All LED
    Cruise Control
    ABS
    Traction Control
    4 riding modes
    Hill hold (lol)
    Keyless
    TFT dash
    TPMS (accessory)
    Shift assist (accessory)

Plus all the exotic suspension and braking we expect nowadays, I reckon they've brought it up to date enough to compete with any other bike on the market in terms of bells n whistles.
    Agree that £20k is a smidge on the tall side, I'd sooner do away with 90% of the electronics, keep everything else for £15k

But why would I want to take a step down from the 1900 I've already got ;)