1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I can be of no help there. I'm too busy eating.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  2. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I assume as long as you can shift from A to B in the required time frame, weight won’t be the issue?

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Octopus Energy agreeing to refund most of the huge amount of credit I'd built up on my account, just in time for Queen's speech day. :cool:
    (I didn't ask for all of it. Left enough with them to cover a couple of month's power, just in case...)

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Original A Team series are now on Prime...

Much happy was had over the weekend.

(OK, so they are free to watch on Prime with ads, but my ad blockers seem to clear them out)

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

So.. If I'm understanding this right. You love it when a plan comes together?

IanW, Almightyrastus and Byron C like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My watch now has the same IQ as 6000 PE teachers.

[​IMG]

IanW, Dr. Coin, Pete J and 3 others like this.
  7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So, your phone has an IQ of 60? At least it does a really good impression of a moon.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

"I am Holly, the ship's computer, with an IQ of 6000. The same IQ as 6000 PE teachers." https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0684157/

EDIT: How did I not know that this series existed?!

Last edited: 15 Nov 2021
  9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

Isitari, IanW, Byron C and 1 other person like this.
  10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I most certainly do. I have been loving it. When the theme tune starts up I get a proper big-grin moment.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

been working out for the police fitness, holy **** I've only been at it a few weeks but I feel so much stronger.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have - and the world now has, too - a tool for extracting files from Dragon DOS VDK disk images, all thanks to a Haiku developer's kindness.

I've got a pile of old Dragon DOS-formatted disks - for the Dragon 32/64 home computer - which I kept meaning to preserve. Trouble is, I couldn't get DCT to spit anything understandable out. Then I found HcX Floppy Emulator, which will happily take in a raw stream file from DCT and turn it into a VDK - which works in a Dragon emulator. Hooray!

But... there's data corruption on some of the disks. There were two with a bunch of pictures on I was interested to see, but the software for viewing the pictures was defunct. I needed a way to get at the files themselves, so I could see what's what. Turns out there's a tool for doing just that: Dragon DOS Utils, a suite of MS-DOS programs written in 1997 by Graham E. Kinns - then of the IEE, now IET.

The Dragon DOS Utils were created in the knowledge that Dragon systems were dying, and that people might need to retrieve data without a working Dragon on which to do so. Stick a Dragon DOS disk in your shiny new IBM compatible's floppy drive, run DDIR.EXE and get a list of the files. Run DCOPY.EXE and you can copy those files to an MS-DOS floppy or your hard drive. Wonderful!

Except, of course, it's not 1997 any more. The shiny new systems people used to preserve the data from their dying Dragons are now, themselves, old-hat and dying. However, Kinns very kindly shared the source code for his applications - and it's this source code that Haiku developer Adrien Destugues quickly - literally, a couple of hours - ported to Linux and other 'NIX-alike OSes.

The new Dragon DOS Utils don't need a physical floppy drive: they work on VDK images, reading the header to set up the disk geometry. And they work an absolute treat.

Oh, and those pictures? Turns out the guy I got the disks from had a bit of a thing for Madonna...

madonnao.png

trigger, MLyons, IanW and 2 others like this.
  13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

A LONG time ago, in my Spectrum days I did want a Dragon 32.
    No computers of my own from then until my 386 from work in '92

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

These disks came from a Dragon 64 I inherited - lovely thing, housed in a replacement chassis with dual-3.5" disk drives, a hard drive adapter, and a hand-built external keyboard, all hooked up to an amber CRT. The hardware and commercial software had to go when my youngest was born and I downsized the office, but I've still got the hand-labelled floppies - a few have private correspondence and the like, so I want to go through the data before I do anything with the disks.

IanW, Byron C and Arboreal like this.
  15. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Got a call which I've been waiting for a long time. Starting off strong with Transplus, first appointment is on tuesday next week with Zoom call on Dec 2nd for discussing the process and how it will continue. Everything is free under T+, even voice therapy which is crispy expensive

Funny thing is: T+ is funded by NHS, offers same services as GICs but with massively short wait time. Was referred to Tavistock GIC about a year ago with maybe four year wait. Pandemic made that balloon to 5+ years, highly likely longer

I just skipped that wait...

Byron C likes this.
  16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Terrifying yet exiting times ahead
    [​IMG]

MLyons, Byron C, Goatee and 3 others like this.
  17. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Finally got my new Tesco clubcard today that I'd forgotten all about, with about 4yrs worth of vouchers!

Tesco Xmas order placed....came to £163 :blah: minus £115 worth of vouchers! :grin:

lots of Tesco Finest grub & booze for what feels like for free.

goldstar0011, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Got accept for a new job. Negotiating a higher salary than they offered. Either way, feels good right now!

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I only work four days a week. I do not consider this to be negotiable.

Today, I logged in to be part of a meeting in which one of my bosses at work explained our reporting module to one of our clients because I don't really know anything about it. The meeting was good, the content interesting, I learned quite a bit, and, best of all, made fun of our client in a private chat with said boss.

Now, wine. Lots of very good wine. Weekend, here I come!

20. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Where is your hand and is that why Doge is unhappy?