1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The Zoe Covid Study has been saying this since delta became the dominant variant: if you think you've got a cold, take a goddamn test: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59768366

Side note: Whoever wrote that article doesn't seem to understand that paragraphs can contain more than one line...

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've been noticing that on the Beeb: single-line paragraphs. I know I can be a bit verbose at times, but that's too far the other way!

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Makes things quite difficult to read, it feels as if the author keeps getting distracted by squirrels outside or something.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I like to picture them rewarding themselves with a Malteser for every line they type.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm in the middle of writing 2 or 3 written assignments for university and honestly this is the level of motivation I'm at!

Arboreal likes this.
  6. oscy

oscy Modder

I just hate any article that starts with pseudo-poetic artistic scenery.

Headline: Bloke does a thing

Article:

The evening breeze is cool over Derby, as people finish their Christmas shopping in the warm glow of decorations and lighting that adorn the town. But as the patronage chills with the air and the day winds down, one man blah blah blah

SuperHans123 likes this.
  7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's like those recipes you find on the internet that insist on starting with the culinary autobiographical musings of the author about the dish in question instead of just GETTING DOWN TO THE ****ING RECIPE:

(dismiss the pop-up asking to accept all the cookies)

"I first tasted this dish in a small tavern on the village square of in San Gimignano, during a family holiday in Tuscany back in 1995. I remember it well. We had been travelling the dusty, potholed roads snaking between rolling, sun-swept hills of olive and grape farms in a rented Fiat 500 all morning, and collapsed hot and exhausted on the rusty metal chairs on its little patio, surrounded by Valerian wildflowers growing from its surrounding low wall, and ordered some cold beers in our best, broken Italian before perusing the laminated menu that listed a range of local traditional fare... (followed by long, rambling thoughts about the history of the meal's historical origins, the many variations there are, a lengthy treatise on the production of the specific cheese or sausage used and how they reproduced it for a family event and how successful and delicious all declared it to be)..."

[​IMG]

scroll down...

[​IMG]

scroll down some more...

Dismiss the "do you want to subscribe to this site?" pop-up

scroll down some more...

[​IMG]

scroll down some more...

And finally you get to the actual recipe.

But of course the cooking instructions (again interspersed by personal musings) come before the ingredient list.

[​IMG]

SuperHans123, Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  8. oscy

oscy Modder

Neighbours testing positive on LFT and negative on PCR also now. I've not encountered anyone the past few weeks that got positive then positive yet.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've known of people getting a negative LFT then positive PCR.

Sounds like something's a bit amiss. Wonder if there's a dodgy batch of LFTs or a problem with the PCR testing?

Then again PCR testing is more often than not done by the individual (unless you have a home visit by people in hazmat suits like my OH did) and that's often where problems arise.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's down to the specificity and sensitivity of the tests. LFTs are highly specific, so when they show positive it's almost certainly not wrong, but they aren't very sensitive, meaning that they can't detect low levels of the virus. The PCRs are far more sensitive, they can pick out lower levels of the virus, but they have a lower specificity than LFTs.

The Vaccine Alliance has a great page discussing the sensitivity and specificity of the LF & PCR tests and why you might get a positive LFT and a negative PCR: https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/c...positive-lateral-flow-tests-then-negative-pcr. It could even just be a case of pure maths: that article estimates that the rate of infected people who test positive on an LFT and then negative on the PCR is around 3.5%. When we're dealing with such a high infection rate as we are in the UK at the moment, that 3.5% translates to a lot of people.

The i also has a good twitter thread from October discussing this issue of positive LFTs and negative PCRs - I haven't read all of these articles, so I can't vouch for all of their contents:

(I'm pretty sure @oscy has me on ignore because of my "warrior blood" and "forum insecurities". I'm not quite sure what either of those mean, but I'm still going to try to educate and inform regardless.)

adidan likes this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Pfizer 3.0 installed.

Oddly, I'm not seeing any improvement in 5G reception yet...

SuperHans123 and Byron C like this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You need the give yourself a reboot before it kicks in mate :thumb:

David and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  13. David

Oh, I've fallen for another slick marketing campaign then. I was promised immediate results! I demand a refund!

adidan likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You should never rely on the x.0 release, wait for the x.1 release at the earliest :lol:

David likes this.
  15. walle

walle Minimodder

You will have access to 5G and various streaming services when they've flipped the switch and fine tuned the frequency, it's part of the trim package you injected.

:happy:

16. Ajbod

Ajbod Minimodder

I've had Pfizer 4.0 installed for over a week now with no difference yet.

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

That's what the nanobots want you to think...

18. oscy

oscy Modder

So if I already hear voices in my head that means I have good reception and don't need any 5G vaccine?

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

20. David

The Times quotes:
    The Daily Fail:
    Cool - so breaking the law is fine, if you show remorse. The next time I get done for speeding, can I just say sorry and we'll leave it at that?

keef247 likes this.