1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've always managed without a table, I'd like one, but I'm sure you've seen the price of steel :o:

I'll tell you what though, welding something always puts a smile on my face, not just because it greatly increases your abilities to get things done, but the process of melting metal itself is uniquely enjoyable :hehe:

The_Crapman likes this.
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Depending on your wall construction, it could be very straightforward to fish cables down inside of it. Stud wall is obvious, but even a dot & dab wall usually has enough space to get an HDMI cable or two down. I've even managed to get a comparatively chunky Samsung OneConnect through one, thought it did need the plastic casing removing and a bit of gentle persuasion with a pry-bar.

For a propersolid wall though, clearly not. Chasing and subsequently plastering isn't really all that difficult, but it's not exactly the same as fishing either.

But also if you want it on a stand, this is okay, too.
    The second you put it on the wall it shrinks a size or two anyway.

And IME flush mounts are more important than the thinness of the TV.

Kinda... it doesn't hurt anyway. But also you might be underestimating the weight bearing capacity of mounts and even modest fixings - all of which are largely unbothered by the weight of TVs since the plasma days, especially in the 55" range. A 55" C1 is 19kg, the C2 is 13kg... much of a muchness when you consider a 2007 vintage 50" plasma was >50kg.

Having wall mounted ~30 TVs in my time, many on extendable arms, the only two that were in anyway notable in how they were mounted were the very first - aforementioned 50" plasma, where paranoia took over and I sunk 8 threaded rods in resin in a solid wall (and fortunately was able to sell the TV with the house) - and the very last where I chose a bracket thinking I was going 98-100", and it's a... fairly robust ridiculous bracket.

Responding as someone that recently moved and mounted a 70kg 85" I would agree, but also a massive generational improvement it's not.

My dad had one of the final 34" HD CRTs though, and I participated in moving it more than once, so I feel your pain.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2022
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

18cm of reinforced concrete. Hanging a big picture on the wall requires power tools, I can't be arsed to hang a TV.

4. Mister_Tad

Like solid concrete? Not even plaster/board facing it up? That does make things a challenge.
    At least those pictures should be pretty sturdy.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ah, so you're not into tech improvement then? Dropping nearly 1/3 of its weight while ehancing ts cooling capabilities is impressive, thats there the cost is because it couldn't have been easy. And weight matters to me because I can't wall mount it, rental living. And those weights are without the stand, if you add the stand its 23kg for the C1. I live up 3 flights of stairs, I didn't want to kill myself moving the thing.

Edit: Also, you're all comparing it to the C1, when its actiually more like the G1evo, which is £1500 now, and was £1600 odd when I got my C2 (now with a £200 cashback, so the same cost).

6. Mister_Tad

I didn't say I wasn't. I said "massive improvement" is over-stating it, because if not side by side you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in picture - i.e. the primary function of the TV. (Source: went to view a bunch of them in-person because it felt like the responsible thing to do, and turns out they all look "good enough", so I just reverted back to what rtings told me)

And on that note:
    So for LG's claimed "up to" brightness improvements... in actual use, is more like 10% from the looks of it.

The C2/G1/G2 is a better panel than the C1 no doubt, but I don't think there have been any "massive improvements" for some time in TV tech, but then LG/Sony/Samsung/Etc marketing isn't about to use the term "slightly better"

And that I think this post whiffed a bit of confirmation bias. And frankly was a bit "lol your TV is rubbish my TV is sooo much better" like the 50% price difference just doesn't matter.

perplekks45 likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I did think about making my own, but besides it not working out much cheaper, I need a properly flat surface in order to create a properly flat surface....

8. perplekks45

About 2mm of plaster and then a wallpaper on solid concrete blocks. Typical German wall building technique. Bloody sturdy and good for sound insulation, but a nightmare to put anything on the walls. But once things are bolted into the wall, they will stay there. Pretty much until WWIII or possibly even thereafter.

About the improvements made between generations of LG's TV offerings: I don't doubt that once you put them next to each other I'll have to admit that the C2/G1/G2 all offer better image quality and/or brightness. And they are thinner and lighter and have tiny stands in comparison. But none of that was worth an extra 50% to me. Do I have buyer's remorse, knowing there is something better out there? Not really, because I knew that all along and decided against it after a long period of contemplation. If the C2 had been "just" an extra 20% I very likely would've bought that one, but it wasn't. And I didn't want to wait for it to drop to the same price as the C1, if it ever does.

I don't doubt your C2 is objectively better than my C1, but I still feel like I made the right call there, given the prices at the time of purchase.

9. Mister_Tad

Once you have it at home though, you're not looking at it side by side with anything. One of those cases where ignorance is bliss.
    Honestly even looking at two at the time time, but maybe on other sides of the shop, I would have been hard pressed to call which one was better at what, and quickly concluded that the entire process was pointless.

I don't have an LG anything though - the G2 was up for consideration, but burn-in. I know the jury is still out on whether it's still a thing or not (and LG would have you think that it isn't of course), but there's just no way that it wouldn't gnaw at me.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Buy at Costco, 5 yrs for warranty :) C2 is reasonably cheap there at the moment, almost ordered one, but I'll stick with my LCD for my computer until I can confirm its suitability with text etc, I will be taking my laptop in to the shop to test :D They do a 90 day no quibble return but its such a ball ache to remove current screen to try a new one and then switch if no good.

11. Mister_Tad

Way too many weasel words in warranties to convince me that burn in would actually be covered under warranty.

E.g. an LG spokesperson on the 5y warranty extension on Evo panels:

And given a 83" G2 is £6200, warm and fuzzies it does not give.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Costco terms are pretty good, I bought a high end TCL for my mum who needed a new TV had it right up to the end of the 90 day return and took it back as the software was atrocious and laggy, an true to their word they took it back no quibbles, we didn't even have the box.

13. perplekks45

The telly is running a maximum of 4 hours per day. And that is extremely rare. Usually, it's more along the lines of 1 hour for dinner and relaxation, if there's football on another 2 hours later that night. Burn-In shouldn't be an issue for me.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. Mister_Tad

Yeah but if you're me, any time there's a static logo or image on the screen you're getting paranoid, I'd be entirely unable to game on account of getting distracted staring at those pesky UI elements, and going over it with a fine tooth comb periodically to check for early signs. And then what can be seen is impossible to unsee.

I near-obsessively play a game with high-contrast static UI elements too, it would stress me the frick out.

It's less of a case of the actual threat of burn-in and more the behaviour I know the perceived threat of burn in would drive.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If a panel burnt in within a warranty period I'd be tempted to strip a length of copper wire and go fishing down the back of the unit to make sure it needed an RMA...

We splurged for a 55" LG OLED and it's been fine so far, but we don't watch a lot of channels with watermarks etc, and not many games either for HUD burn-in

Mister_Tad likes this.
  16. perplekks45

You do know they shift the image by a pixel or two periodically to avoid burn-in in the last few gens, right?

Not trying to give you stick for going with the telly you bought in the end, just trying to spread information I have. I hope it's correct, mind. I didn't test it myself.

17. Mister_Tad

Yep, well aware of all the protections and mitigations.

Pixel shifting doesn't avoid it though, exactly, it just spreads it out a bit more so if it did occur it should be less noticeable, i.e. no sharp edges.

perplekks45 likes this.
  18. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

BMW charge extra for indicators now, just like heated seats

stephen0205, IanW, Pete J and 2 others like this.
  19. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

A cheeky £20 60% Dierya Mechanical keyboard with red linear switches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Given the price my expectations were lower than low but honestly the keyboard delivered has genuinely surprised me. The red switches feel very similar to the Cheery MX Reds in my favourite Corsair K70 (although not quite a nice) and the overall build quality is good in general, not just for £20. It can be connected via either USD or Bluetooth (latter I am using) and beyond a bit of fumbling with the not-so-clear manual it is working exactly as expected. Only issues I am having are ones related to the layout which will take some getting used to.

Oh and it has the usual "RGB" but only with built in pre-sets which means it is immediately switched off.

spolsh and LennyRhys like this.
  20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

More goodies for the "all my case fans are Deltas" mini project. Might have to start a thread on this as it's turning into quite the project in terms of planning, time, execution, and expense.

This time round I bought an 8-way 12v relay board, mini push button switches, right-angled fan headers, a bundle of female to female DuPont headers, and other little bits and pieces.

It's now a fully fledged 8-way fan switch that takes power directly from an 8-pin CPU header, so it will eat the Deltas for breakfast.

[​IMG]