1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Desk-mounted camera stand.... monopod.... thing....

[​IMG]

Once clamped in place this thing is solid, it feels like it's part of the desk. In comparison, the mounts I've got for my lights feel like toothpicks.

IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So uh, does the 100% result in hospitalisation or something?
    If you eat pasta does it arrive even faster?

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ironically, I run mine most of the time in OLED Care mode, which turns down the brightness! :hehe: I turn it off for cinimatic movies where its worthwhile, if its not Dolby Vision its not worth it! I also thought this, which is why I got it from Richer Sounds, as their 6 year warrenty covers it! And TBH I'm not overly worried these days, my S10 is like 4 years old, runs at far high brightnesses with solid static UI elements and its OLED doesn't retain anything. My previous S7 was terrible at the end, oddly it was the WhatsApp UI elements that burnt in! So I think OLED tech is at a stage where it's less of a concern! It was another reason I went for the lastest one, one more year of anti burn in evolution!

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I got one of the last 3D models, purely to try out 3D. Needed a new TV at the time, was determined after my last debacle with Hisense's false advertising re: the HDCP on their ports not to go with them, but swore blind I'd go cheap(ish) and large rather than pay for tech I was replacing every few years when picture quality either got annoying or the set just broke or was outdated by standard requirements (like HDCP 2.2 or whatever). Then got sucked into the OLED marketing hype, then saw the outgoing 3D C6 was being touted as the last of its kind and was cheaper than the current year's model so went with that and a second-hand 3D Blu-ray player.

Since then it's been mainly used for "normal" 2D viewing (as per LG) due to a) time available or the inappropriateness of games being played; b) it being the main set so everyone wants to use it; and c) my wireless bridge needing to be reconfigured so can't access my saves or download anything downstairs. Black Ops II was proper rad in 3D, especially when the iron sights snap up and the depth kicks in. Sine Mora was also good, with its depth of backgrounds (but had some sparklies). The films were decent too, but the TV was just too high to be perfect, you really need to be dead-on, so some seating adjustment was required.

However, over the last couple of years, green lines have appeared across the middle of the display. Lots of them and no correlation to any OSD or logos or anything else I can think of. As I say, the gaming and 3D has been incredibly limited, I wouldn't have thought black bars or subtitles would cause them given the position of the lines, the TV has a screensaver that kicks in when anything is paused and the green lines only appear on certain colour (usually lighter) backgrounds like yellow or similar. They're horizontal and multiple, which is confusing. Anyway, my point was that if LG say (and I do acknowledge they're referring to more recent sets):

...then I think they may need to reassess. There have been temporary retentions (and unusually quick to occur, such as when finding your recording on the Sky planner, so a matter of less than a minute) but these don't last long. I'm currently chatting with RS re: a repair rather than replacement, because I want to keep the 3D, but they originally wanted me to fork out for it myself "as part of a deal with LG". They're saying it's image retention, I'm saying it's not and LG obviously think it's a non-issue as well. Given the amount I paid and the fact I was neither aware nor made aware of the potential for burn-in when I bought it, I've managed to get them to agree to fix it under warranty, but they're still asking me to provide proof. This is tricky though, because the lines don't come out properly on the phone camera and they demand a shot with the whole screen in, at which distance the lines aren't clearly visible. Even if they do agree to fix it, I've got to box it up and be without the main TV until it comes back (and then in who knows what condition/how long the repair will last). Either go through all that or just suck it up and pretend not to notice the lines when they randomly appear. Or ask for a partial refund?

Just my limited experience on an older set, but probably worth noting in case of similar OLED concerns.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Sorry to hear - your story seems to be pretty consistent with many LG warranty claims from that era of TV unfortunately. I'm sure there are plenty that go off without a hitch mind, and plenty that never have an issue in the first place, but nobody posts on forums to say "nothing to report".

This really grinds my gears... everything about it makes you think they're gearing up to weasel out of it. I had the same request for a monitor claim a while back, though I did eventually get a replacement.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

[​IMG] My S21 decided to start being stupid, never really liked it anyway terrible battery etc, so I bought nothing

7. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I’m after a 12/256, where did you buy it from? Thanks

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I will also clearly be in the market for some new glasses soon. It's so hot here that pouring JD from the freezer straight into a room temperature glass resulted in it cracking and shearing straight off.

[​IMG]

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Got it direct from Nothing, so no specials etc

DeanSUNIAIU likes this.
  10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

An Evolution Rage 4 230V chop saw. Slice and dice things for welding with a bit more accuracy then a shaky handed angle grinder.
    081-0006.jpg

I'm moving our old kitchen units into the shed. Got an idea to mount this on a lazy Susan in the sink hole in the worktop, so it can be turned when cutting at angles to keep the rest of the piece resting on the worktop. Totally stolen from Attila Lukacs.

Yes, it's THE Attila

Arboreal likes this.
  11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I have their circular saw, it will go through anything

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Regretting the purchase already, could have got their mitre saw new for an extra £6, which comes with a blade that does 6mm steel also :duh:

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'd love one, but I worry about the space it would take up and they're not cheap. I've considered an abrasive but they're not really much of a step up from an angle grinder.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Return it and get that instead - I have their double-bevel mitre which eats just about anything with the multi-material blade.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

n+1 applies

Krikkit, Mister_Tad and ElThomsono like this.
  16. Krikkit

Pff, get a band saw instead, that way you can use it as a table when you aren't cutting things :D

To be honest if I'm cutting stuff for welding I use a hacksaw - just a bit less faff and much less material lost

17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Ain't nobody got time for that, lost material is replaced with weld :lol:

But yes, I've seen the odd bandsaw go on Gumtree, and had it not been for my garage already being packed to the gunnels, I'd have one by now.

18. Krikkit

I feel that pain, I've currently got a garage completely full now I've got a table saw to finish some woodworking in the house... Having a motorbike taking up bloody loads of room doesn't help of course!

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

No room on a shelf for a portaband?