1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy prices, what's your plan?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ElThomsono, 30 Aug 2022.

1. koola

koola Minimodder

Arn't you over dramatic. There is no genocide so take your BBC mouthpiece elsewhere. The Uyghurs are in re-education camps for having religious beliefs, contary to the states and parties guidelines. If they don't like living in China, then they should move to another country where they are free to practice Islam.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Putting my moderator hat on:

Koola, you have already been warned about posting content suggesting, in any way, that it is fair and just to persecute a people based on race, nationality, or religion. It is not. Nor is it legal in this and most other countries.

You may argue China's dominance in energy pricing, air-pollution-deaths-per-capita, or a host of other things (well, given the topic of the thread, mostly those two), but this is not the place - neither this thread specifically nor this forum in general - to excuse literal concentration camps.

Repeated infractions will result in a ban. This is your second and last warning.

3. koola

koola Minimodder

This is how it goes isn't it. When you don't like the opinions all you can do is silence.

All I have stated is that it's against one countries laws and they are handling it accordingly.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Gareth rarely puts on his moderator hat, so I’ve deleted what I was going to post. Suffice it to say that the point has been made.

adidan and MLyons like this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hate is never an opinion. Believing I'm out to silence you is an opinion, but thankfully one I couldn't give two hoots about.

Have a week off.

Byron C, adidan and MLyons like this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm employing restraint too...

keef247 likes this.
  7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No need to talk about your friday nights.

Back on topic after i derailed it. I should be getting my first direct debit taken out next week so it'll be interesting to see the cost vs usage when they're assuming a 4 bed house fully occupied when it's only me there 4 days a week.

keef247 likes this.
  8. Gareth Halfacree

I've just had my latest bill through for the old house: £385. I hadn't submitted a reading since January, so I've done that now - and I reckon I've used closer to £50. In two months. Mostly keeping the heating ticking over so the pipes didn't freeze during the cold spell and running a router, server, and miscellaneous other electricals.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I had a statement through recently and, thanks to government credit and me opting to pay more than the minimum, we’re several hundred in credit.

But that’s based on an estimated reading, because I completely forgot to give them updated readings. Despite multiple reminder notifications and messages to give them an updated reading! So I could well owe them money… Not too long ago I learned about the concept of the “ADHD tax”, and if I do owe money then this is a perfect real-world example of the ADHD tax in action!

Gareth with his moderator hat on is a slumbering beast that is rarely worth poking a stick at! :grin:

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You're not poking hard enough!

11. Gareth Halfacree

Chance'd be a fine thing.

Afore I take my moderator hat off, I'd like to remind you gentleforumpersons that this is the Serious sub, and that we should conduct ourselves Seriously within it.

Willies!

Byron C and MLyons like this.
  12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The way I've got around this is to do meter readings every week even when they don't ask me to. I'm also trying to see if there's a way i can graph it and after a while i could use some models to do predictions.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If you have a smart meter you shouldn't need to submit anything they can get frequent actual readings, it still doesn't stop them from trying to take too much money though:rollingeyes:

14. MLyons

Smart meter is booked in to be fitted 6th June

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And I’m checking with my landlord now to make sure they’re happy with us having smart meters installed. I can’t see why not, there’s literally no downside to it, but such is the way with rented properties.

I did just do readings though, and we’re below Octopus’ estimates so it’s all good.

Interesting idea. I had a similar idea after I discovered an MQTT gateway for SMETS2 meters - have it all logged in Home Assistant and pull the data from there. Though you’d need more features (I.e. data points) alongside the actual energy readings if you want to use and train a machine learning model, it’s gotta have something it can base the predictions off. Obviously date/time is a big one, but you could potentially also include weather conditions at the time - that’s likely to have significant predictive power for a model.

(Sorry, nerding out here a little - this is what I do for a day job! :grin: )

adidan likes this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Wish I'd had a tenant like you.

Byron C likes this.
  17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Fortunately neither my landlord nor us want smart meters so there's nothing to discuss.
    Unfortunately, our daughter is moving back home, so there go my finely laid plans to reduce our electricity usage., we are now a 2 fridge house again, and it'll soon be warmer so the garage fridge will need turning back on bringing us up to 3. :wallbash:

18. Gareth Halfacree

I feel you. Family of four, and the stupid layout in the new kitchen leaves no room for an upright fridge-freezer - meaning we're running a little fridge, a separate freezer, and a chunky chest freezer in the outbuilding.

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

That's my three year gas consumption graph, it goes a bit wacky as the smart meter decided not to give proper readings but you can see by the red highlighted winter periods that we're pretty much gotten away without any gas this winter. Which is just as well as it's a bit pricey right now.

Please note that it's in m³ and you need to multiply by 11.24 to get kWh :eeek:

MLyons likes this.
  20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

OpenEnergyMonitor is a good open source program you can run on a Pi with CT clamps:
    Or get a smart meter CAD that can send usage data locally. https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/display-and-cad-combined-for-smart-meter-customers
    Then use a MQTT client to log consumption. This can be Home Assistant or anything else, even OpenEnergyMonitor

This is my time-of-use calculations, I'm on Octopus Go so it's basing calculations on Go tariff times I've entered. But you can use this tool to simulate cost as if you were on any time-of-use smart tariff.
    upload_2023-3-24_20-29-9.png
    So I know off-peak price is most important to me, because I use 16:4.5 over last week cheap off-peak vs other times.

Tags: