1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Random Crashing when gaming

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Scroome, 2 Jul 2023.

1. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Hey all,

So yesterday I noticed that my PC would crash to Desktop when playing Dead by Daylight. I would get an Unreal engine error and the game would close.

I thought it was just a problem with the game, so restarted my PC. Didn't solve the issue. On the final try of playing, it crashed again and I got a BSOD with a system restart. I usually play for about 20-30 minutes before it crashes.

I tried running other games Benchmarks like Returnal and it seemed to run fine. I checked my GPU temps and they're in the 60's when playing, about 35 when idle. The CPU gets toasty, but it's an AM5, so kind of expect that (45 idle, 60/80 maxed out)

I ran several stress test and they all ran fine, apart from Timespy Extreme, which crashed out on the CPU test (and keeps doing that). I've got the latest GPU Drivers (RTX4080) and Bios for my MB (ASrock b650M PG Riptide).

It's a pretty new build, and I've tried reseating the GPU, RAM, PSU and the DarkRock 4 cooler. Made no difference.

I ran memtest86 and within 15 minutes I got thousands of errors, of which I don't really know what they mean.

I've tried uploading a file but my lord does this old site make it incredibly frustrating. Could I do it over on the Discord or something?

Is there anyone whom would know what they are, by looking at them? I be immensely thankful,

Steve

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

What CPU is it? Have you got DOCP/EXPO enabled?

3. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Oh sorry. Its a 7600 (non x)

I had to enable XMP profile in the bios, to get the RAM to run at speed.

One thing actually that I did notice when buying the RAM, is that there were two versions for sale. One was stated as XMP and the other was for EXPO.

Would that make a difference?

It's this one: CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz CL36 Intel XMP iCUE Compatible Computer Memory - Black (CMK32GX5M2B5600C36) https://amzn.eu/d/1sWvaTd

4. Scroome

Scroome Modder

So turns out I'm a bit of a noob idiot with the RAM.

I disabled XMP in the BIOS and it ran absolutely fine. I basically bought the wrong RAM......moron :D

adidan likes this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:lol:

Posting to appreciate the realisation. We've all done something that's resulted in a "you daft sod" to ourselves (some of us on a daily basis) so it's nice to see someone owning it. :happy:

Personally ive never heard of EXPO RAM but I'm still on AM4 so hope it doesn't matter that I haven't :worried:

Scroome likes this.
  6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It's only recently that a few companies started making ram that was "dedicated" AMD ram. In reality xmp, DOCP and expo are all largely the same thing, a file on the ram that tells the motherboard what to set all the timings too.

You should be able to get it running at it's stated speed, but might need to play around with it a bit. There's often 2 profiles on AMD boards DOCP/EXPO I and DOCP/EXPO II. Try both, find out what the primary timings are (found them; 40-40-40-77) and set them manually, while leaving the secondary ones on auto.

Scroome and adidan like this.
  7. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Thanks so much for this.

On getting a friend to check my ram this morning, turns out I have one dodgy stick which appears to have been causing the issue.

Seems like AM5 is still having some teething problems almost a year in, which I guess is pretty commonplace for new chipsets etc?

Cheers Adi for the comment above :). I've been out of the loop a while, so happy to admit making d'oh mistakes :D

adidan likes this.