1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You're having a larf . Terminator was a god level film and T2 was spoiled with the stupid "thumbs up" - TopGun 2 is fun but not a patch on the original ... No Goose !

mrlongbeard likes this.
  2. keef247

keef247 Modder

Meh I disagree mate...

T1 is good but kinda testing the water and very budget - good for what it is but T2 just shows how good it could be...

T2's pretty much universally agreed by everyone as THE only sequel to ever be better than the original in every way?

The only other film that seems to come up is The Godfather PT2...

I have never heard anyone disagree worldwide regarding T2, even James Cameron thinks it's better.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2023
  3. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Cameron probably thinks it's better because he made a ton more money from it. T1 didn't need super-effects the story and Arnie in his prime was enough.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  4. liamredskis

liamredskis What's a Dremel?

Saw The Flash a few days ago, but it was so-so (it could be that I walked in with too high expectations...)
    I suppose I'll see Oppenheimer next

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just saw the supporting cast list for TMNT: Mutant Mayhem. I have expectations...
    • Seth Rogan as Bebop
    • John Cena as Rocksteady
    • Jackie Chan as Splinter
    • Giancarlo Esposito as Baxter Stockman
    • Paul Rudd as Mondo Gecko
    • Ice Cube as Superfly

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

/EmpireStrikesBack enters the chat

Edit: TopGunMaverick also enters the chat

keef247 likes this.
  7. keef247

keef247 Modder

:naughty:

8. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Edit : Mission Improbable 36 enters the chat LOL

adidan likes this.
  9. adidan

I thought 463 was better :p

spolsh likes this.
  10. keef247

keef247 Modder

Arnie wasn't in his prime in 1. He was in 2... That's why people connect with him more, as he 'looks like Arnie' in 2, he was at his peak and literally looks like a superhuman/hero/beast spec machine.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Aliens shut down the chat room.

And without GnR, T2 would have just been a series of really bad motorcycle riding scenes

spolsh, Pete J and adidan like this.
  12. adidan

* nods sagely *

Arboreal and Pete J like this.
  13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Does Goldfinger count as a sequel?

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Barbie - Assault on the senses/10

In all honesty it was a bit of fun - I found myself chuckling quite a bit. A little heavy-handed in places, but I'm bearing in mind that the demographics it's aiming for are about as broad as it gets - it's not exactly a complex and thoughtful psychological drama - so I can live with it.

If you've ever unironically/non-sarcastically used the word "woke" or complained about "feminism" then I give you a 100% cast-iron guarantee that you will hate it. Don't waste your effort complaining about it, it's OK to just move on with your life and let people enjoy things :thumb: :grin:

15. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Mission Impossible 45232
    A little overlong but still well worth the admission price

Pete J and Arboreal like this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

There are stories in the press that it's just the first in an entire "Mattel Cinematic Universe" and will be followed by Polly Pocket, Uno & Barney the Dinosaur movies among others.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...rbie-mattel-polly-pocket-barney-b2383568.html

17. adidan

Dude! Spoiler tags please!

Yeah I heard a Mattel bigwig say they want a Mattel equivalent of Marvel.

David likes this.
  18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah which is depressing af TBH. It's not enough to just have "a film" and have that film be both a good film and a box office success. It has to be a franchise now.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

IFTFY

IanW likes this.
  20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Actually I unironically do those things and I'm rather looking forward to Barbie. But arguably that's just because I'd rather break the entire coop than stand for being pigeonholed.

I'm shocked people are saying T1 is better than T2, I felt it was a quite thin and misanthropic monster-chase film where T2 was a bit of everything, executed perfectly. It transcends its genres and is, as said further up, universally agreed to be just goshdarn bichin'.

Saw Oppenheimer and wasn't very taken with it. Interesting and educational but not very gripping or moving as a film. I think I'm just suffering from hype backlash, because Nolan has done some stupendously well made, tightly written films and this one felt more like a slow, ploddy, studious biopic. It had some gratifying and clever moments but the nonlinear storytelling meant most of the audience visibly didn't catch them. Pacing was odd. Style was odd. Themes were vague. It was all good on paper but I just didn't know how to feel about it, except that maybe it could have been shorter.

Dune: holy hell.
    This was very visually impressive. Not the most complicated or dense script, and it's not in a hurry, but the production quality, set designs, cinematography, costumes, etc. are all stunning, every 10 seconds could be printed as wall art. Bit light on dialogue, there's a lot of silence and ponderous long shots and empty space. But increasingly I think all of that is part of a deliberate effect where the characters are isolated, estranged and lonely for most of the film, to contrast
    The fraternal, communal, emotionally charged vibe of the native culture in the final scenes

It owes a lot to Blade Runner 2. However, I enjoyed Dune less simply because it's palpably just one instalment in a planned series; I would say it doesn't do quite enough on its own, as a standalone film. It has the storytelling structure of the first third of a regular film and is therefore somewhat unsatisfying in isolation.