Other This may have been a really bad idea, but **** it

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Crapman, 1 May 2024.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

So apparently waiting until you're mentally stable enough to deal with what happened to you is not reason enough for arbitrary deadlines to be reconsidered, so I did something I may regret, but I'm in a yippie kiyay ************ kind of mood
    Screenshot_20240501_140419_LinkedIn.jpg

Isitari, adidan, Byron C and 2 others like this.
  2. The_Crapman

Oooo update. Identity of the individual sending removed of course.
    Screenshot_20240501_162428_LinkedIn.jpg

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As a Journo™, I (am forced to) know a thing or two about defamation laws in the UK. The whole Part 3 of McNae's is dedicated to it.

Assuming English law (and not Scottish or Northern Irish), truth was not an adequate defence against a charge of libel. If the statement was harmful, then you could still lose the case - even if the statement was true.

However, that changed with the introduction of the Defamation Act (2013), which offers several defences against a charge of libel: public interest (replacing the Reynolds defence), honest opinion (replacing the honest comment defence), and truth, which replaces the defence of justification.

If you reckon you can prove the truthiness of the "most damaging imputation" on the balance of probabilities, and wouldn't mind having to do so in court should the company or individuals push the matter, more power to your elbow - they can go whistle until you hear from their solicitor.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And I’m also assuming that “English” in this case also implies “English and Welsh”.

It’s not likely to make a material difference in @The_Crapman’s grievance/case since the UK offices of the company in question are all in In-gerr-land. More for my own curiosity/edification than anything else.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No such animal as "Welsh law" - there's English, Scottish, and Northern Irish. English law applies in Wales, but the legal term for "the common law legal system of England and Wales" is "English law."

Complaints should be forwarded to... err, William, the Duke of Normandy and later William I (or William the Bastard, if you prefer) circa 1066, I guess.

Isitari likes this.
  6. The_Crapman

I did think i probably shouldn't confirm it was defamatory so I said "maybe". I have a whole load of evidence to back it up, which the HR director confirmed was harassment and bullying as per their own definition in their policy. They then in their decision went back on what was confirmed in the appeal hearing and said there was no evidence of harassment and bullying.

It should be noted that I know I have nothing to gain, but I also don't want the same thing to happen to anyone else, which is why I tagged a whole boat load of mental health charities in there. I lived in fear of that person and in fear of myself. Now they can fear what these organisations might bring down upon them.

Also you'd assume they'd be smart enough not to sue someone they drove to suicidal thoughts, not a great PR look, but they've been pretty frickin stupid this far. It'll be fun finding out :worried:

yuusou, Isitari, IanW and 1 other person like this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This is 100% an irrelevant tangent, so before I dive off down that road let me just say that I wish you the best of luck @The_Crapman! :happy:

So… what would you call primary legislation passed by the Senedd that applies only to Wales? Such as, for example, the Agriculture (Wales) Act 2023? It’s not a matter that’s been reserved to the UK Parliament at Westminster, it’s a bill that’s been passed by the Senedd, received royal assent, and subsequently become an Act of Senedd Cymru. Generally once a bill receives royal assent and becomes an ‘act’ it’s colloquial referred to as “a law”. Under that same rationale, I’d call that example act a “Welsh law”.

Of course there’s still the constitutional point that it needs to receive royal assent from the monarch, but that’s also the same for legislation passed by Scotland’s parliament (and presumably Northern Ireland, but I haven’t looked that up).

Don’t misunderstand, this isn’t a dig or a criticism :happy:. This kind of constitutional nitty-gritty is complicated, boring, and generally not well understood. But the less attention I pay to Westminster politics the more I find myself interested in boring topics of constitutional nitty-gritty, and defamation law is clearly something you’re familiar with. Hence, I was genuinely curious as to whether there was a distinction for Wales when you specifically mentioned the UK’s other devolved nations, Scotland & Northern Ireland. It does grind my gears that it’s so often the case that “for Wales, see England”, but that’s not specifically your fault :happy:.

I have far more disregard for Edward Longshanks, to be quite honest :grin:. It was his conquest of Wales that instigated the tradition of naming the heir to the English throne as “Prince of Wales”, and although we have Henry VIII to thank for the Laws in Wales Acts, it was Edward I’s conquest that annexed Wales into England. Henry VIII signed bits of paper that said “all this is mine because I say it is, and this bit of paper makes it legal” :grin:.

Flibblebot and The_Crapman like this.
  8. Gareth Halfacree

English law. Literally, that's what it's called. It's why that particular law has "Wales" in brackets at the end of it - to make it clear that it applies specifically to Wales, despite being entered into English law.

Welsh law is a thing, and your example is... err, an example of it, but it exists as an autonomous part of the English law system - not a distinct legal system in its own right. Scottish law, by contrast, is a distinct legal system.

bawjaws and Byron C like this.
  9. The_Crapman

Ooo I just got some fan mail. And no, not from their solicitors, but another employee. It's hand written and not signed, obviously wanting to remain anonymous so I won't post a picture of it, but it reads:

Andrew, I saw your post on linkedin and want to try and help, as clearly UK HR department won't listen to you. Som useful contacts:
    Insert contact information for kuka head office
    Good luck. Kuka is toxic and HR is poisonous.

So I know I'm not alone and there are serious issues afoot. Was going to wait till mental health week but think this deserves a little nudge.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Good luck to you! As Gareth has noted above you need to be very careful indeed about exactly what you say. I'm sure a few folk on here wouldn't mind eyeballing posts to double check them just in case.

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

Latest post, some fairly incendiary things in there, especially the nepotism and misuse of company funds (CEO got his wedding reception at his rugby club paid for as "corporate sponsorship" and had his brother in-law build a website for the friction welding side (there are internal departments for this) by his brother in law. Oh and he married the marketing director. But I didn't name anyone, not sure if that's enough vagueness or if that should maybe get yoiked. Probably too late now.
    Screenshot_20240503_154413_LinkedIn.jpg

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/andr...I1?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_android

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Good luck, chap.

A toxic workplace caused me to leave my job for another pre-Covid.

The_Crapman likes this.
  13. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Having been reduced to being charged with gross misconduct* by a toxic work environment, I fully support your efforts to deal with yours.

But what you're saying makes my issues/toxic enviroment seem like a bunch of care bear commericals.

* reduced to plain ol' misconduct after an investigation, but with zero recognition of anything needing to change. You'd be guessing correct if you thought leaveing was a good idea. I was gone within 6 months. They even had the audacity to be suprised when i brought it up as the main reason i was leaving...

IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  14. The_Crapman

Samaritans have entered the chat....
    Screenshot_20240503_175945_LinkedIn.jpg

15. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Keep posting within the remit of what is deemed acceptable and wont get you in too much trouble and do it on what ever platform you can with as many charities as applicable tagged for as much reach as possible. You will likely get the boot now, that'/s just how it is but if you kick up enough of a fuss you may get an compromise agreement where they in affect pay you off to shut up. I cant see the business making changes to accommodate.

16. The_Crapman

Oh I got fired in December, already in another job. Dickheads just gonna get reamed now.

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Don't take this the wrong way, @The_Crapman , but what are you hoping to get out of this? And why now?

SuperHans123 and The_Crapman like this.
  18. The_Crapman

I personally have nothing to gain. I was hoping to sue them or whatever, but I had to wait till I was mentally ready, which was so long that I can take no legal action against them. But that person still works there, that joke of a HR department are still there, and I know there have been other instances like mine swept under the rug. They made people redundant while paying a fortune for coffee, wasting money left right and centre, directors treat the company like their piggy bank, the whole place is rotten to the core. Hopefully I can force some changes so that this doesn't happen to someone else.

IanW likes this.
  19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Again, not trying to be a dick, but what changes are you hoping to force and realistically how are you going to do this? And how much mental overhead is it going to take, and for how long?

I don't want to tell you to leave it and to move on, because you're a determined chap and you've set your course, but I just worry a little bit that you'll end up expending a lot of mental and emotional energy and not really getting any satisfaction. You seem to have landed on your feet with the new job, and I'm very pleased for you there because you've been through a hell of a lot recently. As they say, "The best revenge is a life well lived".

And I am really sorry if any of this comes across as insensitive or patronising, as that's definitely not my intention.

IanW, Isitari, SuperHans123 and 4 others like this.
  20. The_Crapman

No no no. I fully appreciate what you're saying and that you're making sure I don't lose myself or sanity in this, and that is very much appreciated. Took a fair bit out of me emotionally when I got told by a rather rude solicitor that I could "stop wasting his time", which then put me in revenge mode and prompted all this.

I waited a a while before I did anything and thought long and hard about whether to do anything at all, with the original post written as a private message originally. In the end decided that I would likely gain nothing from it because they would have no legal obligation and could ignore me, but then I thought about the people I'd spoken with who had similar experiences, the fact that they had gone through 3 treasury accountants in the 9 months prior to my appointment, I had to try and do something to invoke change to prevent it happening to anyone else. I will probably post again during mental health week, maybe try a couple of other places, but i've made peace with what happened to me, I feel better than I have since pre-hernia days and I'm conscious not to lose that again.

I really appreciate you, for the want of a better phrase, "reality checking" me. I don't know whether I will ever know if anything comes from this, but to not do anything at all and leave that place as it was, for someone else to suffer as I did, would forever weigh heavy on my conscious. The framework and policies are already there within the wider company, they're just ignored. A German colleague I worked closely with was horrified at how I had been treated and said that would never be tolerated at hq, and has seen people dismissed for less. Just need someone to shake them up.

IanW, LennyRhys, Isitari and 2 others like this.