1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. saint

saint What's a Dremel?

That res looks sweeeeeeeeeet mounted on top. And that case is a beauty. Shame I'm poor :sigh:

I'll keep an eye on this one :clap:

Last edited: 10 Jul 2004
  2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Full Metal Jacket

I know I said I was going to work on the radiator install next, but I got my Aqua-Computer FULL METAL JACKET a few days ago and could not keep my hands off it ( thanks goes out to G-gnome's ORAC project, without which I would have never known such a thing even existed).
    I ordered a AQ FMJ from SNTsystems, the US Aqua-Computer distributor (Dan is a helpful and honest guy, you go.. Dan).
    In my humble opinion anyone using a Eheim 1046 or 1048 pump needs a FMJ, not only does it help with EMI, it looks COOL!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installation is EZ enough, drill four mounting holes using the bottom-half of the FMJ as a template.
    [​IMG]

I did not want to take apart the Eheim 1046's wiring in order the get the power cord outside of the case (still under two year warranty this way), so I cut a hole for the AC plug in the back of the case and sanded off all the sharp edges.
    [​IMG]

If you do not like the look of the AC plug hole, not-to-worry, the stock Lian Li exhaust fan duct hides it completely!!
    [​IMG]

That does it. Pretty straight froward (I may still paint the FMJ black, it comes in a black primmer finish). A few more pictures..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honestly, the radiator is next!!
    [​IMG]

MS

3. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

case looks great! but what's the point of the FMJ? what is it and doesw it do anything?

4. modsquad

The Aqua Computer FMJ is a Electro Magnetic Interference Shield. Eheim pumps are very good (reliable), but can cause your computer problems because of there mag-drive design (magnets inside a computer-BAD). The FMJ will help your computer run stable. As a side benefit it makes the ugly plastic Eheim pump look Cool.
    MS

5. Blzbubb

Blzbubb What's a Dremel?

Stunning case ! :thumb:
    "must ..... resist ..... temptation.... to ...... spend..... money"

6. daba

daba What's a Dremel?

too late. I already blew $200 on mine.

Keep up the good work.

7. modsquad

Radiator Installed

I started work in the installation of my Innovatek 120mm Radiator. Honestly I was putting this off, as I was unsure how to mount the thing in the Lian Li case (the 120mm intake fan does not mount like a normal fan, it gets bolted to a mounting plate then thumb-screws hold it in place unlike the exhaust fan which uses the standard mounts).
    [​IMG]

I used two Innovatek external radiator mounting brackets, and Dremmeled one (for the bottom into a L-shaped bracket and tap/died it). The bracket for the top works perfectly in it's stock form, it will be bolted through the front intake area of the case with stainless bolts.
    [​IMG]

This is that I came up with, looks strange but fits like a glove.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It gets mounted using stainless bolts, two from the bottom
    [​IMG]

And two more bolts which pass-through the front fan area of the case.
    [​IMG]

The top mounting bracket will need to be painted black, as you can see the unfinished metal through the area's preforated holes.

All-in-all it came out pretty well. I have a solid radiator mount and should have very good air flow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That will do it for today. I still a thousand things to do to this case before it is finished.
    MS

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  8. modsquad

AMD A64 Mock-Up

Because of the "up-side-down" motherboard mounting in this case I decided to order an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard and Innovatek XXFlow CPU H20 block to check for clearance between the H20 Block and my Eheim Pump.
    I received the Innovatek XXFlow H20 CPU Block yesterday, and it is going right back!!
    The Block itself is nice-enough, but the AMD A64 mounting bracket is a joke. All plastic, and very little actually keeping the block in contact with the processor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Being completely "unimpressed with Innovatek's CPU mounting scheme" I boxed-up the XXFlow and shipped it back for a refund. In it's place I ordered a Aqua-Computer Cuplex Evo Rev.1.1..
    [​IMG]

Now that is more like it! I ordered the Cuplex with the optional 10/8mm compression fittings in order to intergrate it into my Innovatek H20 system.
    [​IMG]

MS

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Someone here has lots of money :D Awesome work; I was wondering how long it would take someone to have the guts to mod one of these babies. :thumb: I cant wait to see whats next! :thumb:

Any plans on lighting? I reccomend Red, simply because it would look so good :baby:

10. modsquad

You and I are on the same page, somewhere in the PG I stated the lighting would be RED. I have two dual CCFL kits that will get installed along with a few 5mm RED LED's ( I have a acrylic plug for the H20 reservoir that excepts a 5mm LED), but they need to get cable sleeved/shrink rapped, but that is down the road.
    MS

11. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

mmmm very nice case dude, and i really like your CPU water block, i am thinking about getting it for my system, tell me how it is

119 post :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Last edited: 18 Jul 2004
  12. modsquad

Yes, I like the look of the Cuplex Evo Block, the only draw-back I could see is the AQ blocks are only G1/8 thread, my res and radiator are G1/4, but it is a "small bore" system anyway should not make much difference. I ordered the Cuplex Evo with the optional 8mm Compressions fitting as with the rest of the my H20 stuff. I like those fittings.

13. NoodleNogin

NoodleNogin What's a Dremel?

Very nice work. Looks like you work clean and carefully. :thumb:

14. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

Loving it! sweet work, i was never fond of the black looks but your really pulling it off with the project! I'll have some pics of my own up soon!

Is the 'em' shielded pump case universal or specific to eheim? are you going to cut the side window to be able to look in? the side panels are 3 times thicker than those on the PC60! :eeek: (too many questions! :rolleyes: )

anyway nice job!

15. Duefi

Duefi What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Nice Case!! Keep it on. I love the Lian Lis (got a PC-71). I´ve got the AC Cuplex Evo, too.

There is a real huge discussion here in Germany about Innovatek versus Aqua Computer.
    I´ll could say that the AC Aquatube was the first, and it has a better "in hand" feeling, it weights more and has a better surface than the Innovatek. But AC also copied the "plug-on" res for eheim pumps from Inno. :rolleyes:

But I´m happy that Germany has a second "export boomer" after Mercedes Benz :naughty:

PS: AC developped the Case especially for the Eheim 1046, the 1048 is a bit higher, other pumps won´t work. If you didn´t know: It´s usual use is to block electromagnetic rays from the near mounted hdds.
    Duefi

16. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

I mounted the rad directly to the fan as the bolt/mounting plate has noise dampening already installed. I also removed the rear fan and added it to the back in a 'push>pull' set up. I had to do a bit of cutting :dremel: to get it to fit but its nice and snug now!

some images to give you an idea!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. modsquad

That is nice work Johnny. I did not like the idea of the complete fan/radiator being held in place by two thumb screws, so that is the reason I set up my radiator the way I did. Best of luck with your project.

I started work on my Vantec Stealth 520W Power Supply yesterday. It's almost all sleeved/shrink-rapped (also changed the male/female Molex, ATX, Floppy and 12v 4PIN connectors with BLACK ConnectRight replacements). I should have some new pictures up tonight.
    MS

18. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

So far this thing looks awsome. Everything seems well thought out and executed very cleanly. I just love that case too. Is it also designed to work with the new BTX mobo's too?

anyways great mod. I will definately be watching this one.

19. modsquad

Power Supply

I just wanted to post a few pictures of my finished Vantec Stealth 520W power supply. I spent so many hours cable sleeving/heat-shrinking this thing that I felt the need to show it off. As well as sleeving, I also replaced all the male and female Molex plugs, floppy plugs,ATX and 12v-4pin with Black ConnectRight ones ( the flash from my camera makes the sleeving look more transparent that it really is, so please keep that in mind).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a nice power supply. The only thing I dislike about it is that it uses an 24 to 20 pin adaptor for the ATX connection. I could not find black fittings, it looks like I am stuck with the white ones (I could paint them I guess). The reason I went with this unit is it's extra AC plug built into the back (for my H20 pump).
    [​IMG]

I also had a problem with my other computer (BigBlue). It's Matrix Orbital display went out after only about 6 months use. I can not live without a LCD. So I used the 4-line MO I purchased for this project and retrofitted it into my other machine. It is a cool display!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My confidence in Martix Orbital is slightly shaken. I may purchase a Aqua-Computer Aquaero 3.07 LCD in it's place (but than again the actual display could be made by the same people). We will see..

20. modsquad

Sorry, Sheldog23. Honestly I am not sure about the V1000 and the BTX form factor motherboards.