1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Fury (Finished - Re-mods to start ASAP)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blackflag, 20 Jun 2004.

1. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

It's a little too big for my taste, but go ahead, and post the work log!

2. jmy

jmy What's a Dremel?

Really nice so far :)

If it's not too much to ask for, could you get some pictures of the motherboard and it's box?

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

mj007. Don't you just despise a guy like this. " I would do this then I would then do that. This is better than that". Check out the link to his project C02. Nothing but red X's. It was " waiting for socket 939". Now it is "waiting for Dual Opteron". " Hell, I am "waiting for mother earth to emplode".. I know he has 3k posts, but that just means he has more free time than us. His last post tells us to "wait" for him to get his servers "lots of them" for his hosting company. You and myself are the only "realworld V1000" projects on the forum, and people can see the pictures today not "wait" for some BS.

SO ROCK ON PROJECT FURY.

4. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

lol. I was simply stating how much room the V1000/V2000 has. What I said about having that case would be more along the lines of some saying, "Man, if I had XYZ car I would put this and this on it, and get such and such work done on it. That would be an awesome car!"

If you really must try to point out how much I "havent" done, well ok then. Is it really my fault that I was without internet for a little over a month and my hosting died during that time and lost the pictures. Oh, and about my "waiting for my dual opteron SFF mobo", well I am talking with representatives from IWILL about getting either a full ZMAX DP system or just the mainboard and PSU from one. I guess I could try to replace the pictures I lost with low quality webcam shots, but in my mind it would be better if I just waited for a new digicam. Despite what people who may have a lot of time to devote to modding might think, some of us have a hard time fitting our hobbies in our schedules. Being a manager at a Domino's, starting m own company, and with my final year of high school coming up, things have been rather busy for me. Lets see you try and complete a project as complex as my CO2 will be while working about 40 hours a week at just one of my jobs.

back on topic: I love the contrast between the red chassis of the case and the black anodized aluminum. keep up the good work man.

5. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Morphine- Thanks!

I finished sleeving the CCFLs last night and will be placing them in the case soon (probably within the next 48 hours). As soon as I get a borrowed digicam again, I'll take some more shots.

I ran into a small problem that anyone who is considering modding a V1000 and removing the chassis will need to consider. That is: Remember the order you removed/de-riveted everything! I went to attach the fancy Lian Li drive bay cover and it would not fit anymore!! I ended up cracking one of the posts that holds it in place (spring went flying deep into another universe somewhere), rendering it useless. I solved that problem by stealthing my DVD-RW the old fashioned way. Also, to put my reservoir in the same drive bay as my Matrix Orbital proved impossible so instead of having a CDRW and DVD-RW, I only have the DVD (no biggie, it will burn CDs, albeit slower than 52x).

Since I have the plain stealthed drive, I decided that 6 switches on the front was a bit too many (looked too cluttered compared to the cleanliness of everything else) so I'll probably have 4 or 5 switches with 8 or 10 CCFLs instead of 12 (six 4" CCFLs, and two 12", or eight 4" and two 12").

Again, I'll post some more pics in a day or so. I'll include some mobo shots too. Soon I will need to start leak testing. I got my 74GB Raptor and 200GB SATA drives yesterday, so I'm almost there. :rock: :rock:

6. Zeus

Zeus What's a Dremel?

First off I got to say I am wicked jealous of your case, I want to get me one, but I just modded my lian-li pc60 case......dam. I cant wait for more updates keep them coming.

A quick question for you and everyone else, will this case fit a BTX motherboard in it ? Thinking the most logical choice would be to check lian-li's website but I cant seem to find any info on it.

Thanks
    Zeus

7. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

no, it will not fit a BTX mobo. All this case does is flip the orientation of the hardware. Kinda like standing a normal case on its top. BTX mobos are mirroed from what ATX mobo layout is, so the mobo still goes on the "correct" side of the case, its just upside down.

8. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Okay, here's a fairly large weekend update for Project Fury.

I'm really happy with the way the power supply turned out. Very pimp, if I do say so myself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ended up sticking with using 12 CCFLs as there were certain spots in the case I thought would be "dead areas" (like the pump area) if I didn't light them. I tried to hide the lights as much as possible so when they're powered up you won't be able to see the tube.

Here's the 12" CCFLs mounted to the ceiling:

[​IMG]

I put a 4" red and a 4" UV CCFL on the underside of the PSU:
    [​IMG]

I put a couple more 4" CCFLs above the hard drive area:

[​IMG]

Speaking of hard drives:

[​IMG]
    The drive on the left is my 74GB Raptor, which will be my boot disk, and the one on the right is a 200GB SATA drive that will be my storage drive.

As I mentioned previously, I got the pump mounted to the floor of the case.

[​IMG]

After I wired all the lights (though I still have 2 of the SPST switches to wire :thumb: /sarcasm) I realized that I have a crapload of wires in the case that will need to be managed. When cable sleeving the lights, I made them all color coordinated so if you see a red cable in the inverter, you know it's for a red CCFL, and obviously, a black cable means it's a UV light. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's as far as I've gotten:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stealthed my DVD-RW and mounted my Matrix Orbital:
    [​IMG]

I figured I should let everyone know what's going inside here (notice the reflection!) :D :

[​IMG]

Someone wanted to see pics of my motherboard, so here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A whole lot of pins... :rock:

I got my new radiator yesterday and just as I thought, it's going to look hot on the back of the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some general case interior shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wasn't happy with how the IDE cables looked like (too pink/orangish depending on the angle) so I painted them the same metallic red as the case interior.

[​IMG]

My aim of the weekend is to finish wiring the switches, manage all the cables, and then prepare for leak testing of the water system. It may or may not happen, as planning for my wedding is taking up some precious modding time :hehe:

As always, I'll keep you posted!

9. Slink

Slink B7

Looks impressive, well done dude!

10. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Amazing dude. Good job.. Well done

11. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

yeah great job :thumb:

12. hmekk

hmekk What's a Dremel?

WD rocks :rock: :rock:

ohhyes .. nice case :blush:

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Oh wow! That's just amazing work. I like that idea of sleeving the CCFLs by color

I wanna see this thing all lit up!! You're going to need sunglasses to see it with a dozen CCFLs in there...

14. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

Awsome stuff, I really think that you should put the motherboard in, and more stuff so that you know what to do with all the cables

15. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I'm getting there, still tidying up the wires in the back (left) side of the case....

Patience! :D :D :D

16. daba

daba What's a Dremel?

Those hard drives are very nicely colored! Did you paint the WD2000J black? I have the exact same SATA drives and they came standard silver. Please share :).

17. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

No, the 200GB drive came that way (black). I didn't paint it, and probably will leave the Raptor the way it is (silver and black). You won't see it anyways.

I'm still doing some wiring of the switches (one to go! woohoo!) and some wire management. I have to hide all the damn cold cathode wires, and as you can probably guess, there's a lot of them from the 12 CCFLs.

I also painted the I/O panel of the mobo gloss black, so it ties in nicely with everything else.

Will post some pics in a couple of days, maybe Tuesday, or sooner.

18. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Update- small problem

Well, I was test fitting my water cooling components to see how everything would fit and I ran into a snag. My 5.25" bay reservoir stuck out too far and bumps the IDE connector for the DVD-RW and the FDD cable. One of the tubes would rest on the RAM also, which would give a nice warm effect to the water.

Other reservoirs would not fit in the space unless I crafted my own out of 1/4" acrylic. I'm hesitant to do this as I don't want my res to just explode one day and kill all my hardware. I think I may have found a solution.

Danger Den is coming out with a cool fillport for easy filling of the system. It fits in the top of the case and runs into a T junction. This would allow me to get rid of the res completely.

DD Fillport Pic 1
    DD Fillport Pic 2
    DD Fillport Pic 3

The water cooling systems I have built in the past have always had a reservoir. Is anyone aware if there is a performance hit from not having a res?

If not, I'll probably pick up one of the red fillports and toss it in the case.

19. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

A larger amount of water takes longer to heat up and holds temperatures more stable. Though I wouldnt mind ones of those with my res (Inovatek tank-o-matic) just because the way my res is mounted means I have to tilt my case on its front to fill/bleed.

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'd think it would take longer to bleed the system but that's it. Maybe half a degree warmer from the slightly less SA. I like the look of those though :) Of course this is after I bought a T-line plug from someone already but oh well those will probably cost three times as much too.