1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling HELP NEEDED!: Crazy temps on WC - STILL PROBS!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by benje, 2 Aug 2004.

1. benje

benje Minimodder

Thing is tho olv
    The CPU is back idle at 49'c atm, after being on a few hours.

However I have overclocked the system a little,
    The FSB is upto 180mhz and multiplier 11.5
    (previously 133x15)

This means that the cpu is only 83mhz faster than before at default, which wouldnt suggest an increase of like 3-4'C temp.

2. olv

olv he's so bright

What are your temps immediately after you turn it on after being turned off all night?

3. benje

benje Minimodder

Ussually in bios about 47-48.

OK still got a problem.
    Same setup as before, but MBM is reading god-damned 56'C IDLE!!!
    My pc has only been on a few hours, i dont know what the hell is going on.

Can anyone else offer any advice please?

4. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Thats when its straight from cold? looks like your well over, about 22°C over...

so thats 34°C idle which seems correct...

'doc

5. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

I'm sorry to see you're still having grief with this mate but I really don't think you can trust the readings you're getting from the onboard probes at all!

Any chance of getting a cheap thin thermal sensor and sliding it between the water block and the CPU die? That'll get you closer than you're getting at the moment.

Is everything stable then stress testing? What are the max temps underload

6. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

£5 from mappers I think, well worth it....I need one come to think of it :p

PS get on MSN jsj :p

'doc

7. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

I'd totally agree that your temperature "reading" is high but you seemed to answer you own question when you said prior to fitting a new motherboard you temperatures where around the 30c mark.

Backed up further more as you have tried emulating the exact same water configuration as you had prior to the new board which would/should in theory give the exact same temp (providing you have mounted the block correctly) as before which leaves no other alternative................its the new motherboard!

BTW i wouldn't suggest you put anything in between the CPU core and the water block as that would surely result in the core not making good contact with the block and could even result in chipping the core edges should the block not be flush :worried:

VERY BAD IDEA
    [​IMG]

8. benje

benje Minimodder

Yea i totally agree with you guys, i need a temp probe, and putting the temp sensor on the cpu die will be a very bad idea. But i know ive asked this before, but where can i put it?? I mean if i attached it to the surrounding area of the bottom of my waterblock it wont be very accurate cpu reading i dont think. hmm

9. jetsetjimbo

I didn't say directly on the top of the core :rolleyes: just in the gap created by the raised core between the ceramic/wafer and the waterblock...

Just get the tip of the sensor as close to the core as possible when insterted in the gap.

Not the best example maybe, but...

10. noobidoo

noobidoo What's a Dremel?

loop pump>rad>res>block
    how is this flov

11. jetsetjimbo

If you read back through the thread you'll see he's ascertained that the order of components in the loop isn't the issue ;)

12. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Try your old overclock. If its stable etc, and passes prime, then dont worry about the onboard sensors.

I can reboot, and my NF7's temps will read 10 degrees lower.

They're not accurate, mhz are much more accurate ;)

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1088/index.asp Could be of interest

Coolermeister - thats one chipped cpu! does it still work :D?

13. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Here's an option to try but you might not like it. Personally i'd take everything out and run it on the desk just to eliminate the case temp from your issue. What thermal paste are you using? If it's generic some Ceramiqué would go down nicely. There could be no problem at all and your radiator is letting you down, personally the rad would be my second priority for buying a WC setup as it takes the heat out the water. Perhaps adding a Singe or Dual Heatercore with shroud to your setup will sort the temps out, although i'll have to admit your temps are high. As for putting a probe on i'd thermal tape it under the CPU and thread the wires between the CPU pins.

Good Luck

14. ferm

ferm What's a Dremel?

When you first put all th eliquids you see tha flowing normal or going slowly to the tubes ? Maybe rad is not moving the water normal or the pump not runing full ?

Tags: