1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Lian Dragon - Small update March 22nd, 2005

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by adamjones01101, 3 Sep 2004.

?

What paint scheme should I use? (Don't worry 'bout lighting, now)

Poll closed 30 Nov 2004.
  1. Rust/Industrial (like Piloux's HL2 mod, stripes and all)

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Really sleek, smooth, powdercoated, dark candy-red from Sumax

81 vote(s)
    96.4%
  1. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

I shall do so. :thumb:

The control unit for the compressor on the expensive models is actually just a PCB that has some options on it. I still have plenty of room in the case for a couple PCBs, so I should be fine. My dilemma is...should I purchase the ChillControl and retrofit it to the compressor, or should I make my own chill unit? The ChillControl is quite expensive, and I don't know if it would be worth it. Also, I just believe that Chip-Con and Asetek didn't want to go to the effort of selling separate components, so they built it in a good-looking box and sold it as a single unit. They probably could have made it inside a normal-sized case like my PC-60 had they wanted to.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2004
  2. adamjones01101

Here's the radiator:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Mar 2005
  3. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

4. Davedude

Davedude What's a Dremel?

are the end areas (including barbs) plastic? :duh: :nono:

5. adamjones01101

Not that I know of...I'm waiting to receive it in the mail, because I bought it on eBay. I believe that the inlet and outlet are copper, or at least aluminum, because they would need to be soldered/brazed onto the tubes running through the fins. As far as I can tell from the picture, the plastic ends are just meant to be there to fit on the inlet/outlet of the Audi.

6. adamjones01101

:duh: Scratch that, I was wrong!
    Here is the heater core, with everything attached:
    [​IMG]
    Here is the heater core, with the ends detached:
    [​IMG]
    As you can clearly see, there are no elbows. The plastic ends are actually what controlled the flow rates and direction. So, I was thinking that if I were to braze a slightly smaller diameter elbow (smaller than the tubes, I mean) into each tube in the correct order, I would be able to fix this little hill in the project. Also, on the side not shown in the picture, one of the tubes was plugged with a rubber pellet, I'm guessing, because there was probably a leak, and they needed to seal it off. I don't see this as a huge problem, just something I need to figure out a way to fix.

Also, because I didn't feel like getting modder's mesh online, and I couldn't find any around here, I decided I was going to need some to cover the radiator with, so a bunch of crap can't get in there. I was looking around at work yesterday, and what did I see?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes! The perfect piece of mesh, only, locked up in cup form. The Dremel solved this issue quickly enough. :dremel:
    [​IMG]
    Another reason to always wear some sort of breather mask (which I didn't), and a pair of safety glasses (which I did).
    [​IMG]
    Oh, I also broke my first cutting wheel (kinda strange, since I wasn't even pressing on it).
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for any ideas you have, and let me know what you think so far! :D

Last edited: 24 Nov 2004
  7. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

and probably it is cheaper .. i have a trash basket like that for € 5, and i recently bought about the same size mesh a sheet of 25*50 cm for €6

the basket actually has more material then the sheet of mesh ... kind of a bad buy... ( not a huge loss but yet...)

8. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

Dremel spins in onw direction only, and you go forwards it will cut fine. You go backwards on object being cut, it will break the cutting discs.

It cost me 2 discs/wheels to learn this :D

Also make sure u put the disc perpendicular to the surface.

9. adamjones01101

Thanks for the replies, guys. It was nice and cheap, considering the price that modder's mesh is online, including shipping. Also, I learned that the hard way today, too, about the cutoff discs. Anyone know where there is a good guide to brazing? I've never done it before, and I'm obviously going to need to now that I ran into that snag with the radiator. Thanks for any help!

10. adamjones01101

Muahahahaha...I just got my Staples Rewards check in the mail today ($41.00), so what did I do? I went and checked Staples.com for stuff that I will need, such as a keyboard and mouse. I decided on this one,
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    because, number one, it's wireless, and number two, it's got a fingerprint reader! L337ness there, I think. Hopefully it's not a bad one. If anyone has any ideas as to how it performs, let me know! :thumb:

11. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

now all you need is a mouse powered by the heat of your hand ! and a keyboard that reads your mind ...

slowly we're getting there ..

12. adamjones01101

I am on Cloud 9 at the moment, because I just got my SAT scores:
    [​IMG]
    And, I bought some more stuff for my Dremel after work today:

#426 Fiberglass Reinforced Cutoff wheel
    [​IMG]

#194 High-Speed Cutter
    [​IMG]

#953 Grinding Bit
    [​IMG]

#9931 Tungsten Carbide High-Speed Cutter
    [​IMG]

MS400 XPR Multisaw Attachment
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this saw attachment will make my window cutting job easier...I hope........Any tips on good window-making? Hit me up...and congratulate me on my SAT scores! :D :naughty:

Last edited: 24 Nov 2004
  13. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

Wheres all this dough comin' from? just kiddin' with you.

FYI the last attachment you got there probably won't work with the version of dremel you have the attachment is according to the dremel website only compatible with the 400XPR the newest dremel tool hope you didn't purchase it already you'd be better off getting a good quality jig saw I purchased one a couple months back a Black and Decker unit from Lowes set me back a full 27 dollars would be bit easier to handle than the dremel and the attachment.

Nice k/b and mouse I'm a logitech man myself I just got a new one a couple days ago the Logitech MediaPlay cordless works great.

14. cysus

cysus What's a Dremel?

Good job on the SATs. I'm up for it next week. I can only hope for a 1440, 1350 is more likely.

15. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi,

This is looking very promising, I'll be keeping my eye on this one.
    I aswell feel that it will be tight fit with the compressor. But I think that it can be done. Its just gonna need some smart managing.

Lots of luck to you!

L

16. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

NICE keyboard and Mouse !!! :eek:

Anyone else use your PC or just you? :D, that makes the biometrics more useful eh?

17. adamjones01101

Read farther up...lol

Also, I tested the saw attachment on my Dremel, and it seems to work fine. I didn't think that there would be any major differences, because then Dremel would have to re-engineer their whole design process to revolve around more than just my series and the rotary saw. They just want people to buy the "new ergonomic Dremel". :dremel: So I bought what I thought would work, and I tested it, so it should work out alright.

18. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Love your modders mesh find, I'll have to look in the stores for cheap waste bins next time I need some.

I haven't seen that Dremel saw attachment anywhere before, is it a new offering?

Your project is looking great!

19. adamjones01101

The Dremel jigsaw attachment is a brand new item, apparently only meant to be used with the XPR 400 system (though I haven't had any problems with it working with my Dremel). The modder's mesh was because I try to be thrifty. :dremel:

20. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

Yes it will work just fine, but it still remains that both this and the planer attachment where designed for 400XPR in mind seeing as though it's motor differs a bit from the older multipro tools.

Yes they are trying to get people to buy a new dremel nothing wrong with that simple marketing strategy. Saying the new dremel is a aesthetics improved version is a bit off the new dremel sports a new motor design seperate on off and speed control improved airflow do you want me to go on.

May I suggest those who don't know of it http://www.dremel.com see whats new in the dremel world without having to goto Home Depot or Lowes nice big images of the accessories and the tools themselves.